Citizenship!!! oh crap

Old May 1st 2012, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship!!! oh crap

Originally Posted by JSL8610
US citizens must, by law, enter the US on a US passport. I don't know what would actually happen if OP were to use a British Passport for the trip though.
While that is the letter of the law, plenty of US citizens enter the US with foreign passports and nothing happens to them. One of my wife's friends, who is a dual British and US citizen, regularly travels to the US on her British passport, each time declaring that she is a US citizen.
Old May 1st 2012, 9:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by basementwaj
Finally, after 5 years of living here i have been awarded citizenship.

Process was really simple and pain free, quick too.
I applied 4 years and 9 months after i moved here, had my interview 4 weeks after my 5 year anniversary, and have my Naturalization ceremony in 2 weeks time (4 weeks after interview).

Problem is, i have to surrender my greencard and need to travel to Hong Kong for work the week after my ceremony. I cant get a US passport that quickly!

Any ideas?
Hello...long time no see. Congratulations on becoming a USC.

How's tricks?
Old May 1st 2012, 9:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is, i have to surrender my greencard and need to travel to Hong Kong for work the week after my ceremony.
How long will you be in Hong Kong?

Rene
Old May 1st 2012, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

In the documentation i have, and during the interview, it was made clear to me that i can only miss one ceremony. If i skip two then i have to reapply for citizenship.
In all my years following this forum and its antecedent, I've never come across this tidbit of idiocy. AFAIK, the requirement doesn't actually exist despite what you've been told.

Ian
Old May 1st 2012, 11:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

In the documentation i have, and during the interview, it was made clear to me that i can only miss one ceremony. If i skip two then i have to reapply for citizenship.
Not to be a pain, but this is important information, if true. I do not recall reading that on any documentation my husband received when going through the naturalization process. If you don't mind, can you do a huge favor and scan the document which says this? You can black out your personal information, of course.

It would really help us to help others.

Thanks,
Rene
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:09 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I think i will have to apply to the Atlanta office for a 'submit in person' process and hope that i get an appointment and passport before i have to leave for work!
Sounds like the local Jobsworths scaring you into not creating extra paperwork for them? They probably do a ceremony every month, why should it be a problem since you are "approved" already. Maybe where you are they get a loot of no-shows.
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Go to the ceremony, apply for US passport, leave on UK passport, get someone to fed ex US passport to you while you're away, renter on US passport?
That sounds *way* too risky - what if something happens with his passport application that requires the OP to be in the US to sort it out and what if his passport gets lost in transit leaving him outside the US with only a UK passport - no green card and no US passport ...
Old May 2nd 2012, 1:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

For a price you can get a US PP within 24/48 hrs at our county courthouse. I think you have to produce proof of immediate travel plans.
Old May 2nd 2012, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
That sounds *way* too risky - what if something happens with his passport application that requires the OP to be in the US to sort it out and what if his passport gets lost in transit leaving him outside the US with only a UK passport - no green card and no US passport ...
I suppose I'm more of a half glass full kinda gal
Old May 4th 2012, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There are a few passport offices around the USA, where they actually do same-day service. I know there's one in Tucson AZ and one somewhere in Oregon, I think?
There is one in New York City, too.
Old May 4th 2012, 9:28 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

There are a few passport offices around the USA, where they actually do same-day service. I know there's one in Tucson AZ and one somewhere in Oregon, I think?
Just a correction in case someone reads this thread at a later date looking for information.

There isn't a passport office in Oregon, we have to use the one in Seattle, WA.
Old May 4th 2012, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
Just a correction in case someone reads this thread at a later date looking for information.

There isn't a passport office in Oregon, we have to use the one in Seattle, WA.
Thanks, I knew it was in the NW somewhere...meauxna went there.

Rene
Old May 5th 2012, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you should be able to go to a passport office and apply in person and be able to pick it up soon after. As I remember, you have to call for an appointment.

That's what we did for my wife a couple of years ago. She was traveling about a week after her ceremony so we made an appointment ahead of time to go to the passport office the day after the ceremony. They had her new passport ready in a couple of days.

- Eric S.