Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Interview.... What if......

Citizenship Interview.... What if......

Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship Interview.... What if......

What happens if a person is unable to turn up for the N400 interview?
Is it rescheduled... or is it considered abandonment?
Any ideas from a knowledgeable person, please??
Old Sep 4th 2010, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Interview.... What if......

Do you have time to notify them? it does say if for any reason you can not keep the apt. to return the letter immediately with you explantation and request a new appointment
Old Sep 4th 2010, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

That's the awkward bit, Charleygirl....I won't actually know until the day before whether I can go or not.... complicated situation!
Obviously I really want to go... but there's I chance I can't!
It's causing me so much stress!!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 1:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mamasue
Is it rescheduled... or is it considered abandonment?
Any ideas from a knowledgeable person, please??
Do not write...do not email...do not phone...do not return the letter. You need to make an info pass appointment via their website asap...trust me.

I got our interview date mixed up and didn't realise until the day after the interview. We wrote...we called...we made the info pass appointment for the following Monday via the internet. When we got there there was absolutely nothing in our files about our letter or our phone call. We apologised profusely and received a new date by post a few months later.

You must go in person and get this sorted out...I can't stress that enough. Fortunately for us it had been a holiday weekend and the offices had been closed and our file was overlooked...had it not been we were told our file would have been closed on the day of our interview and we would have had re-apply from the beginning.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 4th 2010 at 1:52 am. Reason: To put some of the text in bold print
Old Sep 4th 2010, 1:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's the awkward bit, Charleygirl....I won't actually know until the day before whether I can go or not.... complicated situation!
Obviously I really want to go... but there's I chance I can't!
It's causing me so much stress!!
Don't take the chance...get the date changed and make sure you can make the 2nd date...come hell or high water.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Jerseygirl that sounds like good info...I'll make an infopass and go down.
I've used the phone line before... and just got frustrated!!
I'll go down and speak to a person face to face.
Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl that sounds like good info...I'll make an infopass and go down.
I've used the phone line before... and just got frustrated!!
I'll go down and speak to a person face to face.
Thanks for your help!
Write your excuse out in a letter...make sure you have a copy and give them the letter at the interview...that's what we did. Make a note of the name of the person who interviews you...time/date etc. You need to cover all your bases with this one to make sure your application isn't abandoned.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If this was an AOS interview, I'd be worried. Since it's a natz interview, don't worry so much. The absolute worst that will happen is that your case will be closed, and you'll remain a PR. If that happens, you can simply reapply. Yes... you'll be out the filing fee, but hey - it's the cost of doing business... especially when the problem is on your end.

Ian
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

I "missed" my naturalisation interview - of course I *didn't* miss it, I wrote them a letter requesting a later appointment, phoned the number they give you to confirm they had received it, and they said they didn't have that information but not to worry, it was common to have to reschedule and they would deal with it but somehow they had no record of any of that - I got a letter in the mail about a week after the interview date saying I had a certain number of days (I've forgotten how many) to explain myself or they would consider my application abandoned. I did what the previous poster said, went online to get an appt at the nearest USCIS office, and spoke to them. The woman at the counter was really rude imo, even after I showed her the letter I sent them, the return receipt for the letter, and proof that I was on vacation when the interview was scheduled. She said my evidence had to be looked at, I had to sit back down on the chairs and wait, maybe 20 mins or so, then she called me back and said it had been accepted, and they'd reschedule the interview. After that, apart from the missing time, it all went as planned and it was never mentioned again.

I'd just go into the USCIS now and reschedule, it'll delay the process 4-6 weeks (or more or less, probably depending on your local center) but much better than dealing with them being nasty to you and then delaying it even longer.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Jscl
I "missed" my naturalisation interview - of course I *didn't* miss it, I wrote them a letter requesting a later appointment, phoned the number they give you to confirm they had received it, and they said they didn't have that information but not to worry, it was common to have to reschedule and they would deal with it but somehow they had no record of any of that - I got a letter in the mail about a week after the interview date saying I had a certain number of days (I've forgotten how many) to explain myself or they would consider my application abandoned. I did what the previous poster said, went online to get an appt at the nearest USCIS office, and spoke to them. The woman at the counter was really rude imo, even after I showed her the letter I sent them, the return receipt for the letter, and proof that I was on vacation when the interview was scheduled. She said my evidence had to be looked at, I had to sit back down on the chairs and wait, maybe 20 mins or so, then she called me back and said it had been accepted, and they'd reschedule the interview. After that, apart from the missing time, it all went as planned and it was never mentioned again.

I'd just go into the USCIS now and reschedule, it'll delay the process 4-6 weeks (or more or less, probably depending on your local center) but much better than dealing with them being nasty to you and then delaying it even longer.
It was about 4 months before we received our 2nd interview letter...the appointment being 2 months later. In total our citizenship was delayed 6 months.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh good, glad someone knew more about this..... I just went with what it said on the form.........just goes to show, glad more knowledgeable folks were here to help........I almost had to change mine glad i didnt then cos i would have gone with what the letter said, I take my interview the day i fly to the UK for 8 weeks.....
Old Sep 6th 2010, 12:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an evening flight than you will be able to make the interview and arrive in time for your flight. It is highly unusual for them to not to take you in for your testing and interview within 1/2 hour of your scheduled appointment and the interview/test itself won't be longer than 20 minutes.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, my interview is 11 a.m and 45 mins north of here and then my flight is at 6p.m. south of me in Boston....on a good day with no traffic I can be at the airport from home in about an hour and half. So thinking I will go prepared to go straight to Boston as I would rather be there early than have to rush etc. Just going to play it by ear that day. Cover all my bases.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If this was an AOS interview, I'd be worried. Since it's a natz interview, don't worry so much. The absolute worst that will happen is that your case will be closed, and you'll remain a PR. If that happens, you can simply reapply. Yes... you'll be out the filing fee, but hey - it's the cost of doing business... especially when the problem is on your end.

Ian

Ian thanks for your reply.... I'm reassured!
It now is almost certain I won't be there... I'll be out of the country!
I tried to get an infopass appointment, but there aren't any early enough.... earliest one is the day of the interview!
I don't really mind the abandonment thing, and having to pay the fee again....
But, if I apply again in a few months, will the abandonment negatively impact my second application in any way?
Old Sep 7th 2010, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

But, if I apply again in a few months, will the abandonment negatively impact my second application in any way?
No, it shouldn't.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.