Citizenship Interview/Civics test

Old Jul 17th 2008, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Citizenship Interview/Civics test

I've seen some posts on this subject but they seem dated and a bit vague

So i've got my interview next week but i'm still a little confused as to whats going to be expected. The letter says to allow 2 hours for the appointment, so unless this includes a wait time they must be planning on some serious interrogation?

I'm assuming they plan on testing me on the civics stuff. I've taken an online quiz and got around 80% even before i started to read the study material.

Has anyone taken the test at the Phoenix location recently? I was wondering what to expect.

Is the test a multi choice?
Is it on computer or one on one with an immigration officer?
How many questions are typically asked?
What is the percentage needed for a pass?

Any info would be appreciated.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Interview/Civics test

Originally Posted by Elliott
Is the test a multi choice?
Is it on computer or one on one with an immigration officer?
How many questions are typically asked?
What is the percentage needed for a pass?
From what I can gather, the test is one-on-one, face to face with the interviewing officer, verbal, not multiple choice. He asks, you answer. I think he just keeps asking until you get a certain number of Q's right (I'm thinking 10, but not sure).

You also have to write a simple English sentence that he will verbally tell you, and I believe you also have to read a sentence in English that he hands to you.

I'd be interested too, my husband is planning on applying here in Phoenix, hopefully this year.

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

I think he just keeps asking until you get a certain number of Q's right (I'm thinking 10, but not sure).
In my case SHE asked and I answered. Got to 6 questions (seemed to be randomly selected (but in advance - pre-printed sheets) from the 96 and that's when it stopped for me. In previous posts it seems that as soon as you get to 6 correct that's it. Only amusing point for me was the complete lack of introduction to the test. Opening line "What are the colors of the stripes in the American flag". There was a long pause before I grasped that this was a question... Anyway the writing test was tougher "Today I came to ...(name of city)".
Should be a doddle (as English speakers say)....
This was recent experience - last Thursday to be precise...
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

My N-400 was in Boston not in Phoenix, to be pedantic. Can't differ that much can it?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 3:59 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

So i've got my interview next week but i'm still a little confused as to whats going to be expected. The letter says to allow 2 hours for the appointment, so unless this includes a wait time they must be planning on some serious interrogation?
Took it April 2006 in Phoenix -- the old test set. Interviewer printed out a letter-sized paper from her computer with the questions on it -- think there were 10. I had to read the questions to her (to prove I read & spoke English!), then answer them. Then I had to write a dictated sentence on the bottom to prove my writing abilities -- seem to remember it was: There are many goods in the stores. I was waiting for her to ask me for my 11-times table but, alas, that was not to be. If you are a native English speaker of average intelligence, I'd book an hour of your time to study for the exam beforehand. It really is easy.

The difficulty is finding the place -- I'm assuming you're at 3000-ish North Central. I'd suggest a recce because the place is really hidden, but here are my directions:

Heading north, turn left off Central at the first lights after Thomas. Locate the Starbucks in the southeast corner and park up near there. Now, starting at the Starbucks walk along the south side of the complex past a restaurant and training facility. Keep walking, looking up at the glass above the doors to find the USCIS sign -- it's a short corridor with an elevator at the end.

If you haven't got time for the recce, give yourself an extra half hour -- it really is a pig to find unless the ICE patrol cars with flashing lights are picking up some hapless soul there
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you haven't got time for the recce, give yourself an extra half hour -- it really is a pig to find unless the ICE patrol cars with flashing lights are picking up some hapless soul there
What's a recce? I googled it and came up with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recce which doesn't seem to fit in with what you're saying.

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:59 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
What's a recce? I googled it and came up with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recce which doesn't seem to fit in with what you're saying.

Rene
Reconnaissance.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:11 am

Reconnaissance.
Yep, that's what the wiki says it means. Hmmmm....meaning if you have time, make a trial run there ahead of time and find the place, before your appointment date? Sorry...guess I'm a bit slow. lol

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:37 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yep, that's what the wiki says it means. Hmmmm....meaning if you have time, make a trial run there ahead of time and find the place, before your appointment date? Sorry...guess I'm a bit slow. lol

Rene
Her indoors tells me the American slang is "recon".
Old Jul 18th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

The letter says to allow 2 hours for the appointment, so unless this includes a wait time they must be planning on some serious interrogation?

Any info would be appreciated.
Going back to the question and why it may take up to this time... The formalities (swear-in/GC/Passport/AP papers/SSN card - yes I was asked for the latter) and civics test are very short. The time (at least for me) was spent going through the N-400 form question by question and the Examiner confirming all the answers and ticking (in red pen) that my stated answer on the form was in fact right. Occasionally I'd be asked for an original (Wendy's US birth certificate was one document) and also for my last tax submission to bring them up-to-date on all the last 3 years of taxes and also an update to my travel (I'd been keeping an Excel spreadsheet since becoming an LPR and that was easy). There was then a signature (on the bottom of the form) and then a Clerk dealt with the 2 photographs submitted (or indeed if you had 2 'better' or preferable ones with you) by erasing the emulsion and having me sign (full signature using all middle names) the photograph in the background. This apparently will be the photograph on the certificate given to you at the oath ceremony. The Examiner also printed out a N-652 form with my details on that I was required to check (so that name and birth-date etc are correct). Standard time is also spent in line and waiting to be called. So that's how an hour or so went by. I'm sure others (especially what we read about NYC) will be asked for other things such as bank statements from the last 3 years. My examiner also looked at documents I'd submitted at I-751 time (all indicating 'co-mingling of assets).
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The letter says to allow 2 hours for the appointment, so unless this includes a wait time they must be planning on some serious interrogation?
My appointment letter also indicated 2 hours. I was in and out in less than 9 minutes.

Ian
Old Jul 18th 2008, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There were 2 Persian Ladies doing their interview last time I was in there, last minute cramming, we chatted.

About 10 minutes each, their English was OK not fluent.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
There were 2 Persian Ladies doing their interview last time I was in there, last minute cramming, we chatted.

About 10 minutes each, their English was OK not fluent.
Thanks Boiler, that's good news for Sadegh!
Old Jul 18th 2008, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

Took it April 2006 in Phoenix -- the old test set. Interviewer printed out a letter-sized paper from her computer with the questions on it -- think there were 10. I had to read the questions to her (to prove I read & spoke English!), then answer them. Then I had to write a dictated sentence on the bottom to prove my writing abilities -- seem to remember it was: There are many goods in the stores. I was waiting for her to ask me for my 11-times table but, alas, that was not to be. If you are a native English speaker of average intelligence, I'd book an hour of your time to study for the exam beforehand. It really is easy.

The difficulty is finding the place -- I'm assuming you're at 3000-ish North Central. I'd suggest a recce because the place is really hidden, but here are my directions:

Heading north, turn left off Central at the first lights after Thomas. Locate the Starbucks in the southeast corner and park up near there. Now, starting at the Starbucks walk along the south side of the complex past a restaurant and training facility. Keep walking, looking up at the glass above the doors to find the USCIS sign -- it's a short corridor with an elevator at the end.

That great thanks, my boss has given me plenty of time off. I'll plan to arrive early and read over questions again in starbucks.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

Given that its actually an interview did you dress up smarter than normal? wear a suit
Now I've been in Phoenix for a few years shorts and tee shirts is all i've got

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.