Citizenship interview

Old Sep 28th 2015, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship interview

More of a rant...

Do you know what is SUPER AWESOME? When you send your husband to his Citizenship Interview/Exam appointment with every thing that was requested on his appointment letter and then the nice interviewer says "we need your tax returns and proof that you and your wife still live together"

Husband: "that wasn't requested on the letter" (passes the letter to interviewer)

Interviewer: (looks at letter) "oh, you are right, it isn't. We still need it though, we can't complete this until we have it, please mail it to us"

Can I just hit my head on a brick wall please.

My husband even WATCH a video provided by the government about what to expect on the day of the interview.

In the grande scheme of things, this isn't a big deal but with the track record of the USCIS loosing things lately, this just really annoys me.

Rant over!
Old Dec 4th 2015, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

AnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to all
Default Re: Citizenship interview

Hi-

There should have been another page with the interview letter which has a language that says 'its highly recommended to bring your Tax Returns with you'

Did you not receive that page?

Mrs and I went for our Citizenship interview yesterday in Chicago office, all went well and we both passed. I took the tax docs but i was never asked to show the tax docs.
They only asked for the following
GC
DL
Interview letter
Passport.

Cheers
Anj

Last edited by AnjLeicestershire; Dec 4th 2015 at 5:42 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute

The letters are always notoriously skimpy on details, though, although I vaguely remember that part being mentioned (as with AnjLeicestershire). Ho hum! All this information is online on the USCIS website, anyway:

Documents referring to you and your spouse:
a. Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children; or
b. Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years; or
c. An IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

Last edited by The Earl of Drumer; Dec 5th 2015 at 2:55 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnjLeicestershire
Hi-

There should have been another page with the interview letter which has a language that says 'its highly recommended to bring your Tax Returns with you'

Did you not receive that page?

Anj
With all due respect, and really at this stage it is a moot point. But NO where did is say to bring tax documents. I read every document word for word, and have successfully brought my husband and step-son over with no attorney. Because I can read English and follow instructions.

I consider myself a very thorough person. So please do point me in the right direction so we can all be clear for future processes.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Documents referring to you and your spouse:
a. Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children; or
b. Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years; or
c. An IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.
This is correct - however these are the docs you SEND with your N-400 application, NOT what you bring to your interview appointment.

The required documents were listed on my letter and that is precisely what we brought.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 12:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikechristina
With all due respect, and really at this stage it is a moot point. But NO where did is say to bring tax documents. I read every document word for word, and have successfully brought my husband and step-son over with no attorney. Because I can read English and follow instructions.

I consider myself a very thorough person. So please do point me in the right direction so we can all be clear for future processes.
Our interview was 9 years ago... we took tax documents with us.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 7th 2015 at 1:08 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 4:09 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I took tax docs to mine as well, but nowhere in the paperwork were they asked for.

I was quite surprised in the interview when she asked to see them.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nutek
I took tax docs to mine as well, but nowhere in the paperwork were they asked for.

Thank you Nutek - this was precisely my point.

Hindsight being 20/20 I should know better to have copies of everything when it comes to Immigration. I suppose I was lax on this one because it was straight forward naturalization interview.

Last edited by mikechristina; Dec 7th 2015 at 4:26 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

PetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud of

I was prepared and included all of my previous three years tax returns when I attended my interview. The officer asked me if I paid my taxes and did not ask to see my return forms. Incidentally, I am local to your area. I hope you have joined the Tampa Brits meet up group. A great bunch of people !
Old Dec 7th 2015, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

airbusfan is an unknown quantity at this point

According to this USCIS Blog, this is an official USCIS blog on what to bring for the Citizenship interview.
The Beacon: Applying for Citizenship? What to Know and Bring to Your Naturalization Interview

It does ask to bring the tax returns for past 5 years.

Last edited by airbusfan; Dec 7th 2015 at 4:49 pm. Reason: Edited to add more information
Old Dec 7th 2015, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I was lax on this one because it was straight forward naturalization interview.
Keep in mind that there is no financial requirement whatsoever to naturalize. The reason they want to see proof that you filed your tax returns is because of the requirement for "good moral character". Someone who fails to file a required tax return doesn't have it... well, at least from their POV.

To summarize: your income is irrelevant... it's the filing that's important!

Ian
Old Dec 7th 2015, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

To summarize: your income is irrelevant... it's the filing that's important!

Ian
TRUST me the Tax man has received every penny, quarterly mind you, from us

We did send them additional copies by mail - even though I sent them with his original application and we are just waiting for his oath ceremony. The OP was from 3 months ago

I think we've BEAT this topic to death now. Thank you!
Old Dec 7th 2015, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PetW
Incidentally, I am local to your area. I hope you have joined the Tampa Brits meet up group. A great bunch of people !
I have suggested this to my Dearest, but he tells me that Brits don't seek out other Brits.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

TRUST me the Tax man has received every penny, quarterly mind you, from us
Great - but there's also no requirement to be current with your taxes. It's filing the return that's important.

I think we've BEAT this topic to death now.
I agree - still, it's useful for anyone who might be reading this thread in the future!

Ian
Old Dec 7th 2015, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Great - but there's also no requirement to be current with your taxes. It's filing the return that's important.

We filed Ian, We filed