Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Citizen or not a Citizen that is the question

Citizen or not a Citizen that is the question

Old Jun 30th 2003, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

adamdan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizen or not a Citizen that is the question

I was born in the UK in the late 60's to a British Mum and an American Dad.

After looking at the requirements for the Citizenship requirements for a foreign born child of a USC it would appear that I qualify for citizenship.

HOWEVER

My parents never registered with the US consulate for a certificate of US Citizen born abroad.

I have seen info on the web stating that I can stil go ahead and process a N-600 for a certificate of citizenship at the London Consulate.

Is this correct and if so does anybody have any idea of the procedure and other pertinent information.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:01 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

You can find out the info here:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk

Just click on 'American Citizen Services' in the Consular section. The FAQs will show you that you will probably be entitled to US citizenship (if your father lived in the US for at least 5 years after his 14th birthday etc).

You will also find phone nos. for the Embassy and e-mail enquiry service on this website.

Good Luck!
Old Jul 1st 2003, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

adamdan is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the reply.

When BCIS say (five years after the age of fourteen) in reference to the amount of time your American parent needs to have been resident in the USA in order for you to qualify for citizenship.

Is it directly after 14 (IE 14-19 years of age).

Or is it a continuous five year period at any point after 14

Or is it a total of five years at any point after 14