Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

CIS goes by Receipt or Notice Date?

CIS goes by Receipt or Notice Date?

Old Apr 30th 2004, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

how to? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CIS goes by Receipt or Notice Date?

Hello,

The CIS office sent a NOTICE OF ACTION to confirm receipt of my EAD application. There is a RECEIVED DATE and a NOTICE DATE on this notice.

My EAD may not be processed within the "advertised" 90 day period.

Please let me know if I go by the "received date" or the "notice date" to apply for a temporary EAD.

In my case, it makes a BIG difference: Applying for a temporary EAD on the 91st day after the "notice date" would put me in an akward situation as my current work visa would have expired. I am not sure what to do between when my work visa expires and when to file for a temporary EAD.

Thank you,
S.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 9:54 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice
Default Re: CIS goes by Receipt or Notice Date?

i think it's the received date, but don't quote me on that - i'm still trying to work it out myself.

it's amazing how much muddling through we have to do just to get some idea of how things work.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

how to? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tortoise
i think it's the received date, but don't quote me on that - i'm still trying to work it out myself.

it's amazing how much muddling through we have to do just to get some idea of how things work.
Thanks. That's what the CIS individual I talked to indicated..although when you check the status of your application online or over the phone, they indicate a "received date" that coincides with the "notice date" on the Notice of Action.
S.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 11:05 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice

edit: i just called the bcis and they told me that you go by the received date. good news for me! :) i can go at the beginning of may to get mine.

Last edited by tortoise; Apr 30th 2004 at 11:35 pm.
Old May 1st 2004, 7:48 am
Ingo Pakleppa - see web site for email

The received date is the one that your application counts as having been
filed. The notice date is the date they actually enter your case into the
computer, and is really not very meaningful in legal terms.

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:09:48 +0000, how to? wrote:

> Hello,
    >
    > The CIS office sent a NOTICE OF ACTION to confirm receipt of my EAD
    > application. There is a RECEIVED DATE and a NOTICE DATE on this notice.
    >
    > My EAD may not be processed within the "advertised" 90 day period.
    >
    > Please let me know if I go by the "received date" or the "notice date"
    > to apply for a temporary EAD.
    >
    > In my case, it makes a BIG
    > difference: Applying for a temporary EAD on the 91st day after the
    > "notice date" would put me in an akward situation as my current work
    > visa would have expired. I am not sure what to do between when my work
    > visa expires and when to file for a temporary EAD.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > S.

--
Remember, I am strictly a layperson without any legal training. I encourage
everybody to seek competent legal counsel rather than relying on usenet
newsgroups.

Please support H.R. 539, H.R. 832 and S. 1510. More information at
http://www.kkeane.com/lobbyspousal-faq.shtml

Please visit my new FAQ at http://www.kkeane.com (always under construction)

My email address in usenet posts is now invalid for spam protection. See
my Web site for information on how to contact me.

Please feel free to enjoy some of my photographs at my Web site
http://www.ingopakleppa.com ! Comments are welcome.

Old May 4th 2004, 3:57 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

ho ho ho....

i just called the bcis office yet again to ask about my EAD. they have now told me that i go by the notice date, which is april 2nd and not the date i filed (feb 9th).

they told me that had i not received anything (i.e my NOA for biometrics) then i go by my filing date of feb 9th. but i did receive my NOA and have had my biometrics done.

it's all very confusing, but now i am led to believe that i go by my notice date which is april 2nd, and so i can go and get my interim EAD by july 2nd (or whenever 91st day is).

*tears hair out* i don't care which date it is, i just want to know for SURE which date it is.

...and i STILL don't trust this information.
Old May 8th 2004, 4:51 am
Ingo Pakleppa - see web site for email

Don't believe anything you hear from a USCIS office. The people on the
phones there are hard-working, but aren't trained in the subtleties. The
answer would have been accurate if it was referring to a response to an
RFE, but I don't think it applies to the NOA for biometrics. I would go
and try for the temporary EAD May 9. They can't do more than say no, can
they?

On Tue, 04 May 2004 15:57:41 +0000, tortoise wrote:

> ho ho ho....
    >
    > i just called the bcis office yet again to ask about my EAD. they have
    > now told me that i go by the notice date, which is april 2nd and not the
    > date i filed (feb 9th).
    >
    > they told me
    > that had i not received anything (i.e my NOA for biometrics) then i go
    > by my filing date of feb 9th. but i did receive my NOA and have had my
    > biometrics done.
    >
    > it's all very confusing, but now i am led to believe that i go by my
    > notice date which is april 2nd, and so i can go and get my interim EAD
    > by july 2nd (or whenever 91st day is).
    >
    > *tears hair out*
    > i don't care which date it is, i just want to know for SURE which date
    > it is.
    >
    > ..and i STILL don't trust this information.

--
Remember, I am strictly a layperson without any legal training. I encourage
everybody to seek competent legal counsel rather than relying on usenet
newsgroups.

Please support H.R. 539, H.R. 832 and S. 1510. More information at
http://www.kkeane.com/lobbyspousal-faq.shtml

Please visit my new FAQ at http://www.kkeane.com (always under construction)

My email address in usenet posts is now invalid for spam protection. See
my Web site for information on how to contact me.

Please feel free to enjoy some of my photographs at my Web site
http://www.ingopakleppa.com ! Comments are welcome.

Old May 13th 2004, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Susanna is an unknown quantity at this point

ho ho ho....

i just called the bcis office yet again to ask about my EAD. they have now told me that i go by the notice date, which is april 2nd and not the date i filed (feb 9th).

they told me that had i not received anything (i.e my NOA for biometrics) then i go by my filing date of feb 9th. but i did receive my NOA and have had my biometrics done.

it's all very confusing, but now i am led to believe that i go by my notice date which is april 2nd, and so i can go and get my interim EAD by july 2nd (or whenever 91st day is).

*tears hair out* i don't care which date it is, i just want to know for SURE which date it is.

Today 12:35

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Anyone know why EAD's are approved so randomly?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Deb
I agree Kate!!! My receipt date is mid February and we just received the the "Notice of Action" last week, went to Columbus on Thursday and completed the biometrics/fingerprints, and are waiting.

BTW, I thought I'd read that they use the "Received Date" as the date you begin to count the 90 days before you can get a interim EAD. But abbie, is that incorrect? Do they actually use the "Notice Date" as the beginning of the 90-days?

If that's true, our "Notice Date" is April 29. Yikes!!!!

Its the receipt date take it from me lol.
I walked into the Chicago office on the 91st date from receipt and got my EAD.
I also have the EAD small hand book with all the details in and it states.
INTERIM EAD. If you have not recieved a decision within 90days of RECEIPT by the INS of a properly filed EAD application or within 30days of a properly filed intial EAD APPLICATION based on an asylum application filed on or after January 4 1995 you may obtain Interim work authorisation by appearing in person at your local INS district office.

Susanna
Old May 13th 2004, 1:33 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

Its the receipt date take it from me lol.
I walked into the Chicago office on the 91st date from receipt and got my EAD.
i still think there is some confusion. maybe our receipts are different.

on my NOA it says:

received date: February 09, 2004

notice date: April 02, 2003

then it says online:

Your I765 APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION was received on April 2, 2004. We mailed you a receipt with information about processing. It is taking between 30 and 90 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete.
i am going by the date april 2nd.

edit: Ingo Pakleppa - i'll try calling them again and see what they say. blimey, this is all so confusing when it needn't be. this time i will ask to speak to an immigration officer.

Last edited by tortoise; May 13th 2004 at 1:54 pm.
Old May 13th 2004, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

i still think there is some confusion. maybe our receipts are different.

on my NOA it says:

received date: February 09, 2004

notice date: April 02, 2003

then it says online:

i am going by the date april 2nd.

edit: Ingo Pakleppa - i'll try calling them again and see what they say. blimey, this is all so confusing when it needn't be. this time i will ask to speak to an immigration officer.

In my situation the online status was different from the actuall mailed NOA, which is the one that you go by the paper mailed one.
The online is the not relevant to your EAD receipt date.
I asked this in Chicago when there
Old May 13th 2004, 2:09 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

Originally posted by Susanna
In my situation the online status was different from the actuall mailed NOA, which is the one that you go by the paper mailed one.
The online is the not relevant to your EAD receipt date.
I asked this in Chicago when there
i'm on hold with the cis right now - i'll ask them again what they think, but i might just go in to my local office, like you and ingo said to do. all they can say is no - and then they can once and for all clarify when i can get my interim ead.
Old May 13th 2004, 2:30 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

hahahah! they don't know!!

i just got off the phone with an immigration officer and she still couldn't clarify which date is my receipt date.

i will have to go down to the denver office and ask them. hubby will have to take off another day from work to drive me down there.

the most hilarious thing is that it is such a simple question, yet nobody in the cis can answer it correctly.

oh well *shakes head*
Old May 13th 2004, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

i'm on hold with the cis right now - i'll ask them again what they think, but i might just go in to my local office, like you and ingo said to do. all they can say is no - and then they can once and for all clarify when i can get my interim ead.
Good luck let us know
Old May 13th 2004, 2:51 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

Originally posted by Susanna
Good luck let us know :)
*gnaws hand off* will do! ;)
Old May 13th 2004, 4:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

First and foremost never call or trust anything the misinformation line tells you They are contract workers, not USCIS employees and know as little about immigration as most people who have never had to use the system.

The timeline starts with your received date not the notice date. The notice date, as Ingo said, is a date without purpose except for the USCIS to know how long their "inventory" has been in the system.

And remember you have to go on the 91st day not the 90th day.

Rete

ho ho ho....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.