Charlotte: EAD Experience etc.

Old Jan 29th 2001, 11:05 pm
Betastar

First the straight info, so you don't HAVE to read the whole post.

When we filed for AOS in the beginning of Dec 2000, they were working on October 1998
AOS cases.

Now they are working on October 1998 AOS cases.

I figure we'll be waiting a looooong time!

Also, with the EAD you don't stand in line - go to the security guard up front and he'll
let you in right away. I am under the impression that if you get there early, they take
you early.

Now for our morning:

Reinhard had an appointment to get his first 1-year EAD card today at 8:40am.

We got to the INS building at around 8:20, and the line was still around the corner of the
building. Rather than stand on line, we went up to the door and I politely asked the
security guy "Do we need to stand in line if we have an appointment?"

Of course we didn't =)

You drop your letter into a slot in a door by the bathrooms and have a seat (they're picky
about your sitting down - they know how many people to let in based on how many empty sea

For the 8:40am appointment, Reinhard was called in at 8:38am, with about 4 other people.
They would not let anyone else in (meaning me )

He said you go down a little hallway and sit down and get a short speech about how you
can't travel with this document, and that you need to renew it 90 days before it expires
if you haven't gotten an AOS appointment letter yet etc. etc.

Reinhard was out in 7 minutes.

Now... I told him "Check all of the information before we leave the building" and he
looked it over and said it looked OK.

So of course, when we got back to the hotel, we double-checked the A# and they got it
wrong! (There was a "1" where there should be a "7")

So back we went - an hour later. This time there was no line at the door, and we told
the guard what was up and they let us back in and told us to stand by the door until it
opens again.

We stood there for a little while, and when it opened, Reinhard sorta quickly told the man
behind the door what was up, and he was brought back in and sat and had his EAD card
re-done. No big deal. =)

While I was standing outside waiting for him, I met Duress, who has posted here before. He
recognized me from my website of the wedding pictures =) It was nice to meet a fellow
ng-member! =) We also told a British guy about the newsgroup.

--
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.

The Smartest Thing I've Done In A While http://home.nc.rr.com/hopperger/Wedding/

Old Jan 30th 2001, 12:39 pm
Andy Platt

When we filed for AOS in the beginning of Dec 2000, they were working on
> October 1998 AOS cases.
>
> Now they are working on October 1998 AOS cases.

When I first went down to Arlington INS in April 2000 they were processing August 1998;
when I went a month later to file they were processing August 1998 and I had the same
thoughts as you. Since then they have sped up processing and caught up on three months of
the backlog so take heart!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Jan 30th 2001, 1:46 pm
Betastar

When I first went down to Arlington INS in April 2000 they were
> processing August 1998; when I went a month later to file they were processing August
> 1998 and I had the same thoughts as you. Since then they have sped up processing and
> caught up on three months of the backlog so take heart!

Yeah, well, no offense to other North Carolinians, but I'm only living here because it's
where my Graduate School is. I'm HOPING I'll graduate well before we come up for AOS,
which means moving before AOS most likely to another state in the North East.

Now, if file transfer goes smoothly and you really don't get sent back to the end of the
line we should have our interview shortly after we move.

Otherwise, the interview will never happen because we plan to move to Austria in
4-5 years.

Either way, I'm not too worried about it.

Betastar just glad to have her husband here with her. (and glad the correct A# was on his
AP so he can travel safely next month!)

Old Jan 30th 2001, 10:52 pm
exyz

In article <[email protected]>,

>
> > When I first went down to Arlington INS in April 2000 they were processing August
> > 1998; when I went a month later to file they
were
> > processing August 1998 and I had the same thoughts as you. Since
then
> > they have sped up processing and caught up on three months of the backlog so take
> > heart!
>
> Yeah, well, no offense to other North Carolinians, but I'm only living here because it's
> where my Graduate School is. I'm HOPING
I'll
> graduate well before we come up for AOS, which means moving before
AOS
> most likely to another state in the North East.
>
> Now, if file transfer goes smoothly and you really don't get sent
back
> to the end of the line we should have our interview shortly after
we
> move.
>
> Otherwise, the interview will never happen because we plan to move
to
> Austria in 4-5 years.
>
> Either way, I'm not too worried about it.
>
> Betastar just glad to have her husband here with her. (and glad the correct A# was on
> his AP so he can travel safely next month!)
>
>

Well, I know what you mean. We moved here becuase of my husband's job, and now it looks
like we'll be here for a while. I have great ambivalance about the area...but as long as I
can travel, it'll be ok.

e.