Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Changing Alien number...Very unsual and unheard of...

Changing Alien number...Very unsual and unheard of...

Old May 22nd 2009, 1:09 pm
Banned

Arpita is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing Alien number...Very unsual and unheard of...

As many of you guys know well that my friend (a US citizen) has filed AOS in first week of April for her husband (an alien) to adjust his status. Everything was going all right in their case until a week ago when they received a letter from USCIS office in MO informing them that a new alien number has been assigned to her husband which they call-"updating of alien number". They have already received NOAs for their applications and her husband has already been fingerprinted a way before this letter is issued.

I've been to many immigration websites for years (except this site) and never ever read even one posting on such thing. Why USCIS needed to change assigned alien number? Is there something my friend should know, or is it normal?

Thanks in advance...as you guys are great...
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Alien number...Very unsual and unheard of...

Hm, strange , I have never heard of it either.
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arpita
Why USCIS needed to change assigned alien number?
Most likely, a single A# was issued to two different people by mistake.

Is there something my friend should know, or is it normal?
Those of us who have been here for a long time *do* remember this happening on rare occasions. It is not anything your friend should worry about. On all future correspondence, he should ensure that his new A# is clearly shown.

Ian
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milan79
Hm, strange , I have never heard of it either.
I've not heard of them notifying one of the change, but one immigration can be assigned two or more A#'s over the course of their lifetime as we have evidenced over the years. The issue is to be sure that USCIS has combined all files under the most correct A#.
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

As many of you guys know well that my friend (a US citizen) has filed AOS in first week of April for her husband (an alien) to adjust his status. Everything was going all right in their case until a week ago when they received a letter from USCIS office in MO informing them that a new alien number has been assigned to her husband which they call-"updating of alien number". They have already received NOAs for their applications and her husband has already been fingerprinted a way before this letter is issued.

I've been to many immigration websites for years (except this site) and never ever read even one posting on such thing. Why USCIS needed to change assigned alien number? Is there something my friend should know, or is it normal?

Thanks in advance...as you guys are great...
Hi:

It happens from time to time. Also, it is not uncommon for a person to obtain two A numbers.

There might be some problems at naturalization time because ALL A files have to be examined.
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:03 pm
Banned

Thank you everyone for your opinions, however, the said situation is not about having multiple Alien numbers; rather it's about USCIS to have assigned another alien number in the middle of the game which is never been heard of...at least by me despite of being around to many immigration websites for many years. Yes, USCIS do issue alien number to different application/petition, but changing an alien number out of blue and in the middle of the game is totally heard of.

Btw, my friend is unable to check the status online as it says case doesn't exist. She has tried putting the application receipt number. Does she need to add or substract any 0s or is there any other tricks to get around?

Thanks...
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for your opinions, however, the said situation is not about having multiple Alien numbers; rather it's about USCIS to have assigned another alien number in the middle of the game which is never been heard of...at least by me despite of being around to many immigration websites for many years. Yes, USCIS do issue alien number to different application/petition, but changing an alien number out of blue and in the middle of the game is totally heard of.
Not to beat a dead horse, but several of us have told you that it is not unusual regardless of your past participation in other immigration forums and it not being heard of there. It has been heard of on this one.

Btw, my friend is unable to check the status online as it says case doesn't exist. She has tried putting the application receipt number. Does she need to add or substract any 0s or is there any other tricks to get around?

Thanks...
Probably has not been entered into the USCIS system as of yet. Sometimes it takes weeks if not months or never is entered and sometimes the receipt number is not the number that is used. Has she tried either of her two A#'s?
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:37 pm
Banned

Rete,

There is nothing wrong to ask something specific to know things better. Btw, I do read VERY well...probably better than others. Most opinions here do state about not hearing of this kind of situation, and they are just talking about multiple alien numbers to different applications. Thus, I wanted to make sure that folks here could understand that USCIS assinged another alien number in the middle of the game. That's all. Nothing in the opinions above suggest that anyone ever heard of a situation like this.

And I don't think that USCIS hasn't entered the data in system. Why? Because- (1) They (my friend and her husband) have called the USCIS right after receiving NOAs and a way long along to ask something. Officer was able to tell them about their case by looking at their file in the system; (2) On another websites 3 people already got their interview letter...yes, within 45 days of mailing the application in NY area. Their timeline is similiar to the timeline of my friend's husband case. Thus, it's kinda hard to believe that USCIS hasn't entered the data in their system yet so to say it's the reason to have been unable to access information online. And yes, she did try both alien numbers.
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

It happens from time to time. Also, it is not uncommon for a person to obtain two A numbers.

There might be some problems at naturalization time because ALL A files have to be examined.
Rete,

There is nothing wrong to ask something specific to know things better. Btw, I do read VERY well...probably better than others. Most opinions here do state about not hearing of this kind of situation, and they are just talking about multiple alien numbers to different applications. Thus, I wanted to make sure that folks here could understand that USCIS assinged another alien number in the middle of the game. That's all. Nothing in the opinions above suggest that anyone ever heard of a situation like this.

And I don't think that USCIS hasn't entered the data in system. Why? Because- (1) They (my friend and her husband) have called the USCIS right after receiving NOAs and a way long along to ask something. Officer was able to tell them about their case by looking at their file in the system; (2) On another websites 3 people already got their interview letter...yes, within 45 days of mailing the application in NY area. Their timeline is similiar to the timeline of my friend's husband case. Thus, it's kinda hard to believe that USCIS hasn't entered the data in their system yet so to say it's the reason to have been unable to access information online. And yes, she did try both alien numbers.

Folinkskyinla is an immigration lawyer. If he says "it happens from time to time" that means that it does happen. Is it common? Probably not, but it also isn't unheard of. Sometimes the database for the website may not be updated, causing someone to not be able to check their status online. Not being able to check the online status is very common, as evidenced by the shear number of people on here with the same issue. They can still call the 1-800 number to get the updates.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; May 22nd 2009 at 5:02 pm.
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Folinkskyinla is an immigration lawyer. If he says "it happens from time to time" that means that it does happen.
Nothing against Folinkskyinla, but you are dead wrong if you think/believe that an attorney cannot be wrong. I think you don't go to other immigration sites because if you have been to those sites then you must have known that most people end up in deportation proceeding because of the mistakes made by their attorney.

Secondly, I went to at least 7 immigration attorneys with my friend and the information we got from those attorneys were flat out wrong...for example, one of the attorneys told to my friend that she cannot sponsor her husband just because she is obtaining a medicaid...He said that even though getting a co-sponsor wouldn't do. Then there is another attorney who tried to tell her that she should file bankruptcy first because she owes money to some credit company; otherwise immigration will deny a green card to her husband.

You seem to be a person who blindly trust and believe on any attorney. Good luck to you then...I rather be proactive, get educated more and ask at least 4-5 attorneys or experts before making an conclusion on anything than blindly believe someone who is happened to be just an attorney.
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to be a person who blindly trust and believe on any attorney. Good luck to you then...I rather be proactive, get educated more and ask at least 4-5 attorneys or experts before making an conclusion on anything than blindly believe someone who is happened to be just an attorney.
Honey, you don't know me from Eve, so keep your judgemental attitude to yourself. You are new on this site, so you obviously have no idea of my history. I didn't even need to use an attorney to take my husband from K1 to USC (I never even consulted one); all we used was the wealth of knowledge provided on this forum.

So don't go getting an attitude with me (or any of us here) about "not doing enough research or being too trusting of lawyers" because you will find that all of us here tell people to ask questions and do research at the same time as working with a lawyer.

Just because you have never heard of something happening, doesn't mean it doesn't/couldn't occur. Nobody made you the all knowing USCIS expert. My own husband had two A-numbers assigned to him due to a mistake at the London consulate, so yeah, I can see how USCIS could decide to change someone's A-number. It doesn't seem like a very big deal to me cuz at least they notified your friend of the change.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; May 22nd 2009 at 5:28 pm.
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:43 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Ian,

Put the Orville Reddenbachers in the microwave, I'll go get the bottle opener.

Regards, JEff

There is nothing wrong to ask ....
Folinkskyinla is an immigration lawyer. If he says ....
Nothing against Folinkskyinla, but you are dead wrong ....
Honey, you don't know me from Eve....
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:52 pm
Banned

I don't get involved talking irrelevant matters, but since you have started then it's fair for me to respond.

I don't care nor it's my business to know whether you had to utilize the service of an attorney or not. Neither I need to know your history because I'm not here to write a biography on you nor to be a friend or foe with you. One simple statement/opinion of a person can tell a lot about the person and personality than knowing to person for years to form an opinion about the person. Your "history" is totally irrelevant to me and to the matter in hand; instead your one single statement alone, in which you talked about other chap being so right on what he is saying just because he is an attorney, tells a lot about you. And why are you talking about your "hisotry" here when I was responding to your specific comment that you made about an attorney to be so right?

And so what if I'm new here and you are a vetern? Just because you are a vetern here then that doesn't make you an expert nor gives you a right to bully rookies. You don't have an upperhand here just because you are a vetern. This is a discussion board and everyone is welcome to participate so long we behave civily. Noone has upperhand on anyone. Everyone is as important as others..whether rookie or a vetern. If you want a respect then do something to get respect from other memeber including from rookies than hoping to get based on your seniority here or with the back up of other other members on here.

I have no interest further responding to you.
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:15 pm
Concierge

We try to keep the bullying to a minimum ... joke here.

Your friend should be asking questions not you since this is her issue and not yours. Regardless, you are probably a member of another immigration group which is notorious for their bad information but oh well, crap happens.

If there is an attitude issue, it is yours, not mine or Sunflowers. Just as I didn't accuse you of not knowing now to read comprehensively, you preferred to take that interpretation even though I mentioned we know of others with double A#'s but this was the first we have heard of someone being notified that they were having a new A# assigned to them. For all we know, the friend's spouse might have had an A# from a previous visa to the US, i.e. an H-1B, F1, K-1, whatever and MO has decided that he needs one that is specific to his AOS.

We are trying to assist you make sense of your friend's issue. As for why she didn't get the interview letter yet, it is the luck of the draw on whether or not you are assigned an agent who is quick to get through their cases or lets them linger for a while on their desk. When we filed for AOS in the dark ages we filed before 3 other members of this forum and yet they were all given interview letters months before us and we all used the same district office.

So, please, let's leave the taunts and fights outside of this forum and thread.
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:36 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Arpita, I'm not sure why you're feeling and acting so defensive. In your first post you asked:

Of the first four responses you received, three people said, "Yes, we've heard of this happening before."

Asked and answered, so what's the problem? Let's move on...

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.