Change name

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

ghollaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Change name

hi, i just had an interview for my adjustment of status and everything went well... the immigration didnt ask for any documents just my passport. He asked some few questions when and where my husband and i met, when did we get married etc.

the surname that i wrote in the application was my surname before i got married. now, i would like to change my surname to my present surname (my husbands surname) before they mail my green card. How do you think i can change that? do u think i should write them a letter? or wait till i remove my conditional residency?

please help.. thanks alot!!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change name

Originally Posted by ghollaway
hi, i just had an interview for my adjustment of status and everything went well... the immigration didnt ask for any documents just my passport. He asked some few questions when and where my husband and i met, when did we get married etc.

the surname that i wrote in the application was my surname before i got married. now, i would like to change my surname to my present surname (my husbands surname) before they mail my green card. How do you think i can change that? do u think i should write them a letter? or wait till i remove my conditional residency?

please help.. thanks alot!!
You can change your surname by taking your ID in your previous name, and your marriage certificate showing your new surname to the SS office, and getting a new SS card with your new surname. However, this won't affect the GC that you'll be receiving shortly, it's too late for that now, unless you want to complete an I-90 and pay another fee for a new GC once yours comes. Your best bet in changing name on your GC will be to wait until you have to file paperwork to remove conditions, and use your new surname on that paperwork.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

ghollaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Change name

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You can change your surname by taking your ID in your previous name, and your marriage certificate showing your new surname to the SS office, and getting a new SS card with your new surname. However, this won't affect the GC that you'll be receiving shortly, it's too late for that now, unless you want to complete an I-90 and pay another fee for a new GC once yours comes. Your best bet in changing name on your GC will be to wait until you have to file paperwork to remove conditions, and use your new surname on that paperwork.

Best Wishes,
Rene
thanks alot! well i already have a SS card / state ID/ instruction permit for my driving with my husbands surname. yeah i guess ill just need to wait till the time to remove my conditions.. thanks alot RENE!! ure a big help!

btw, i was the one who were scheduled to have an interview for my adjustment of status and doesnt have a sealed envelpe from the civil surgeon.. well i had my medical and was able to get the results a day before my interview.. Thank goodness! but the thing is the immigration officer didnt ask for it!!! he didnt ask any documents from me! well thats okay.. its over now. il just keep it for my records.

thanks again for the help!!

Maria