Change My Status

Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

jkbryant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change My Status

Ok,

So my mother in the US has filed an 1-30 for me. Was filed in 2007 and according to the Visa Bulletin, Im looking at a visa being available around January 2014.

I have since gotten married and now have 2 kids. Based on advise given on this forum, its better I make it known to them so that they include my wife and 2 kids. This will push it back a further 3-4 years sadly.

How do I go about informing them and also is there any forms online to now fill in to inform them of my new changed status of Married Son of a US citizen?

Thanking you all in advance.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change My Status

Originally Posted by jkbryant
How do I go about informing them and also is there any forms online to now fill in to inform them of my new changed status of Married Son of a US citizen?
NVC needs to be notified. I'd have your mother do it by a phone call to NVC, followed up in writing to NVC. I don't think there is any way to do it online.

Rene
Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rene for the reply.

Going to my previous question a few months ago, Im trying to figure out if it will be best to just wait for a visa number in January.

Now if I do that, that means I will have to move to the US without my family. Speaking to family in the US, most of them are stating that I could get the green card as normal, file for my family and continue to live in the UK but then I will have to visit the US at least once every 6 months. How true is that?

Or better still, could I just continue to live in UK and visit the US once every year to keep my green card?

Its just the thought of waiting another 3-4 years has got me thinking.

Thanks.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene for the reply.

Going to my previous question a few months ago, Im trying to figure out if it will be best to just wait for a visa number in January.

Now if I do that, that means I will have to move to the US without my family. Speaking to family in the US, most of them are stating that I could get the green card as normal, file for my family and continue to live in the UK but then I will have to visit the US at least once every 6 months. How true is that?

Or better still, could I just continue to live in UK and visit the US once every year to keep my green card?

Thanks.
The only issue with this plan is that when you become a permanent resident, the US is suppose to be your permanent home. If you are not making it such, then you run the risk of losing said status. Im sure there are people that do this, and it works for them. It is all about your tolerance of risk.

Personally I would update the information and wait those extra years, that way you will not be jeopardizing your future.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. I have been waiting so many years for the visa number to be available and was looking forward to my visa number becoming available lol so Im sure you understand the frustration of having to wait those extra years again.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Im trying to figure out if it will be best to just wait for a visa number in January.
You can't. You got married... and unless you undo that, you are no longer eligible for a visa in the original family-based category.

Speaking to family in the US, most of them are stating that I could get the green card as normal, file for my family and continue to live in the UK...
I suggest you stop talking to your family in the US... they're idiots and have no idea what they're talking about.

... could I just continue to live in UK and visit the US once every year to keep my green card?
This is a myth that refuses to die. It's not the card that's important. The card is merely proof of your status as a US permanent resident. It's the status that's important... and you can quite easily lose the status by doing what you're suggesting.

Well, it's certainly got you thinking of silly scenarios. You are married... your visa category changed automatically... deal with it.

Im sure you understand the frustration of having to wait those extra years again.
With all due respect, the delay is the result of your own actions. Still, you must get on with life... and not worry about visas. In the grand scheme of things, it's only a time delay... it's not like the road to the US has been blocked!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jul 10th 2013 at 12:55 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Hell Ian,

Thank you for your reply as well. I guess I needed to hear that the hard way, thank you.

Here goes the call to NVC to change it. As you said, I must get on with life just like I have for past 6 years.

Thank you once again Ian
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:35 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Point of clarification: change of status has a specific meaning in US immigration law. Your status has not changed, you do not have any status to change. What's changed is your preference category.

I've no thoughts on whether it would be better for you to update your personal information now or when the NVC contacts you based on your original preference category.

Regards, JEff