Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Change of address, I received an alarming I-797

Change of address, I received an alarming I-797

Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

ATysoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change of address, I received an alarming I-797

Hi I have an unconditional permanent resident card that expires in about 3 years. I am happily married to my wife who is a US citizen.

After renting for several years we have finally purchased our first home and I filed a change of address form AR-11 online with permanent resident checked my present new address and my old address, all within the 10 days of moving.

Today 11 days later I receive a I-797 in the mail.

CASE TYPE: 1181 Creation Of Record Of Lawful Permanent Residence

Notice Type: Welcome Notice

It states the following:

Your application for permanent resident status is being processed. If approved, a permanent resident card will be mailed directly to you from our Immigration Card Facility. If you do not hear from us within 30 days of the date shown on this notice, please call customer service at 1 800-375-5283

---

I cannot understand why they are processing my application again when I already have a hard earned permanent resident card that is valid for another 3 years.

It's Saturday and we can not contact anyone, my wife is besides herself crying herself to sleep in the bedroom from worrying. And I'm searching online to see if anyone can put some light on the subject before Monday when I can contact my previous immigration lawyer.

Any information would be very helpful, thank you...

EDITED: I added the Case type to the original information above.

Last edited by ATysoe; Mar 19th 2011 at 9:54 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change of address, I received an alarming I-797

Originally Posted by ATysoe
It's Saturday and we can not contact anyone, my wife is besides herself crying herself to sleep in the bedroom from worrying. And I'm searching online to see if anyone can put some light on the subject before Monday when I can contact my previous immigration lawyer.
Oh, folks... I was going to post the laughing smiley at receipt of such a ridiculous NOA til I read that your wife is crying... don't worry!

It's not uncommon for NOAs to be totally nonsensical; someone just hit the wrong key when entering your AR-11.. they are not re-adjudicating your case!

That said, you may be on schedule to apply for naturalization, if you're interested.

On Monday, call all you like.. you can call their 1-800# if you want too, but there is nothing for them to adjudicate, so clearly it is an error. Please tell your wife not to cry over this.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

ATysoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for the little ray of hope and sunshine. We have had a horrible day so far but will try to make the best of the rest of the weekend. I can hear my wife sniffing but she is very relieved that it's most likely something silly.

We will call on Monday, but won't be moping around the house anymore, thank you so much
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the little ray of hope and sunshine. We have had a horrible day so far but will try to make the best of the rest of the weekend. I can hear my wife sniffing but she is very relieved that it's most likely something silly.

We will call on Monday, but won't be moping around the house anymore, thank you so much
Congratulations on your new house and really, don't take this so hard!
Super moon, I blame the super moon.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

My son had exactly the same letter when we moved, I had nothing! Dont worry about it
Old Mar 20th 2011, 12:25 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I have an unconditional permanent resident card that expires in about 3 years.
Unless you've been arrested for murder or something similar, there is nothing to worry about! People get nonsensical notices all the time. You are a US permanent resident and USCIS has no authority whatsoever to change your status!

Ian