Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Change of Address/AOS wait Questions

Change of Address/AOS wait Questions

Old Jul 4th 2001, 4:28 pm
Brendan Campion

Hello all,

I must say that I have been away from this very helpfull forum for quite some time.
It has been probably more than a year since I typed here. My questions are a bit
general, but of course, all help would be very appreciated.

We are currently in Chicago, and have been waiting over a year for the interview that
is supposed to come after you file your AOS with the K-1. This wait is no problem, as
you live your lives together in marriage as if nothing is different - in fact, you
often forget that this is looming over your heads. BUt the time has come to renew my
wife's work auth., and we were going through all the previous forms and receipts
together this morning. At the bottom of the "reciept" form for the AOS stuff, it says
that before the 18 month wait, DO NOT ask about the status of this case for it would
be detrimental to your wait period - what is that, a threat? Why can't I call and ask
about our wait? Is there another story to this?

Somewhat related, we are moving to San Diego in August/Sept. - and will need to file
a change of address with the INS to macke sure all this work is not put back years.
Has anyone any pointers as to how to make this a successfull thing? Would this
interact with our AOS interview, as we will be in a different district? Does anyone
know which form, off hand, it is to file a Change of Address?

Thirdly, there is not a space for "wife" on the work authorization form - only fiance
- any ideas? Just to verify - which form is that supposed to be?

Anyway, these questions are more for the low, low price of .02 cents - for your
thoughts.... If youcan, please email at [email protected],

TIA, Brendan and Clare Chicago/UK

Old Jul 4th 2001, 5:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand your wife question. You complete the I-765 by filing the spaces much the same as you did for the first one and change the areas that require changing.

I'm looking at the form at the moment and don't see a spot for fiancee or wife. It asks for marital status and of course that would be married.

The only area that might require changing from the original application is matter of last entry. For Jim on the renewal it was advance parole. If your wife never left the US it would still read K-1 visa. But if you are moving in one or two months will Chicago act on the EAD renewal before your move? If they are 90 days for issuance why not wait until you move to SD to do it?

As for changing addresses, when you move to San Diego you would write to Chicago and tell them your new address and request your file to be transferred to San Diego. You would also contact San Diego and ask them to request your file from Chicago.

You might be put at the end of the line or placed somewhere in the middle that is at the discretion of the INS office.

Rita

PS Who would you all in Chicago for the status?
Old Jul 4th 2001, 5:21 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Brendan Campion wrote: Does anyone know which form, off hand, it is to file a
    >

The form is the AR-11, however INS does not recommend using it. You can find INS
instructions for change of address here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm (click the AOS K1/K2 link
and then the "to change address" link)
    >
    >
    >

You lost me on that one. She files I-765 form with another $100 just like the
first time, code (c)(9). I think for Chicago you have to file by mail, but don't
quote me on that.
    >
Alvena
===
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
===
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Timelines: http://www.wkh.org/ A great K-1 Site:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Marriage Visa Pages:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
===

Old Jul 4th 2001, 5:45 pm
Brendan Campion

>
    >
    >
    >

..Thanks Alvena - I appreciate your help, as well as Rete's. That page will be
bookmarked

>
    >
    >
    >

..I guess she meant something else...I was on the computer, and she was on the form -
and she misunderstood for a few minutes. Thanks for the clarification - again, both
Alvena and Rete.

Brendan/Clare Chicago/UK

Old Jul 4th 2001, 5:45 pm
Brendan Campion

But if you
    >
    >

..Yes and no. I see that you have to renew at the place the 485 was done - and that
is Chicago. I was hoping that it would not take 90 days, as it did not when we first
did it. The card is up in aerly august, and we have been busy with moving preps and
stuff, and had forgotten momentarily. We will be moving in Aug/Sept - and will file
the change of address then. This would all be simpler if you could just calls omeone
and explain that the EA should be processed, but then sent to this ____ address.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

..Yes, Will do - thanks

Brendan/Clare Chicago/UK