change of address

Old Feb 1st 2007, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

ramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant future
Default change of address

I filled in AR11 when I chnaged my address . should my wife USC change her address too with USCIS , if yes then how ?

Thanks
Old Feb 1st 2007, 1:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: change of address

Originally Posted by ramNagab
I filled in AR11 when I chnaged my address . should my wife USC change her address too with USCIS , if yes then how ?

Thanks
It is more than just filing the AR-11 when you move. You also have to notify the USCIS. The AR-11 does not do that. You are to call 1-800 misinformation number for the USCIS (printed on their website and I'm sure you can find it easily enough) and tell them of your new address. Then you should call them in two weeks after the original call to verify that they have changed their records.

Your wife, as your financial sponsor, also needs to advise the USCIS of her change of address and she will do this by filing the I-865.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ramNagab

Thanks
If you and your wife both changed addresses, then yes, your wife will need to complete an I-865. You specifically said "when I changed my address" not "when we changed our address", so if your wife did NOT move, she does not have to file an I-865.

Rene
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:15 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It is more than just filing the AR-11 when you move. You also have to notify the USCIS. The AR-11 does not do that. You are to call 1-800 misinformation number for the USCIS (printed on their website and I'm sure you can find it easily enough) and tell them of your new address. Then you should call them in two weeks after the original call to verify that they have changed their records.

Your wife, as your financial sponsor, also needs to advise the USCIS of her change of address and she will do this by filing the I-865.
Hi,
Not to complicate things for people, but just speaking from experience: we followed the process you outlined above; however, the misinformation line was not the least bit interested in our change of address since we had no applications pending at the time of the move. Don't be surprised if they express disinterest in your call if you have nothing pending.

~SecretGarden
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Hi,
Not to complicate things for people, but just speaking from experience: we followed the process you outlined above; however, the misinformation line was not the least bit interested in our change of address since we had no applications pending at the time of the move. Don't be surprised if they express disinterest in your call if you have nothing pending.

~SecretGarden
This poster does. He has been here asking about naturalization. But your comments should be noted by readers.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Hi,

~SecretGarden
I just called CIS today to update my mailing address. I filed my I-751 yesterday under a good faith waiver. I was asked for a WAC number, which I don't have yet. I asked the guy about the situation that poster "express" is facing, and he acknowledged that goof-ups do happen. Anyway, he told me to call back with the WAC number and the address will be updated. They don't update unless you have a petition pending.

I also followed Rene's advice from a previous post of hers and I have a letter ready to inform them of the change of address. I guess I should have sent the letter with the 751 yesterday but I didn't think about it.

Anyway, here is what I am planning to do. The rep told me that the NOA should be sent to the address on the I-751. Even though it is the misinfo line, I still think that he is right. As soon as I get the NOA with the WAC number on it, I am going to dispatch the change of address letter from here, with my A# and the WAC number on it, through certified mail, and then call those guys and try to get it updated on the phone as well.

I am also kicking myself for using a money order instead of a check. I guess when the check gets cashed, you can see the WAC number, because of which, I would have been able to call a lot sooner than now, where I have no option but to wait for the NOA.

Hopefully, I will be able to bypass this relatively simple issue, which if not taken care of, can become a nightmare.

Last edited by wildestkabs; Apr 25th 2007 at 3:57 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildestkabs
I just called CIS today to update my mailing address. I filed my I-751 yesterday under a GFW. I was asked for a WAC number, which I don't have yet. I asked the guy about the situation that poster "express" is facing, and he acknowledged that goof-ups do happen. Anyway, he told me to call back with the WAC number and the address will be updated. They don't update unless you have a petition pending.

I also followed Rene's advice from a previous post of hers and I have a letter ready to inform them of the change of address. I guess I should have sent the letter with the 751 yesterday but I didn't think about it.

Anyway, here is what I am planning to do. The rep told me that the NOA should be sent to the address on the I-751. Even though it is the misinfo line, I still think that he is right. As soon as I get the NOA with the WAC number on it, I am going to dispatch the change of address letter from here, with my A# and the WAC number on it, through certified mail, and then call those guys and try to get it updated on the phone as well.

I am also kicking myself for using a money order instead of a check. I guess when the check gets cashed, you can see the WAC number, because of which, I would have been able to call a lot sooner than now, where I have no option but to wait for the NOA.

Hopefully, I will be able to bypass this relatively simple issue, which if not taken care of, can become a nightmare.
Hi wild,

I'm not sure you need to do anything for your change of address. If you listed your NEW address on the I-751, then you have nothing to change. If you've filed the AR-11 (and I-865 if necessary), then you're all set.

Rene
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:46 pm

I just called CIS today to update my mailing address. I filed my I-751 yesterday under a GFW.
What's GFW?

Rene
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi wild,

I'm not sure you need to do anything for your change of address. If you listed your NEW address on the I-751, then you have nothing to change. If you've filed the AR-11 (and I-865 if necessary), then you're all set.

Rene
Hi Rene,

Oh wow!! Thats like a breath of fresh air on this otherwise dull and boring Wednesday.

Yes, the address on the I-751 IS my current address. I am current with the filing of both the AR-11 and the I-865.

Even though I don't need to do anything with my change of address info, I still have a question, though. You know when I called up CIS today, the misinfo IVR said that there are 2 ways to update the address if a petition is pending. 1) Call and 2) use the change of address online to change your mailing address with CIS.

The IVR also says that filing the AR-11 will not change the mailing address. However, the change of address online IS the AR-11, just the electronic version. How can the electronic version update the mailing address and the paper version cannot? Another case of misinfo?

Last edited by wildestkabs; Apr 25th 2007 at 4:00 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

What's GFW?

Rene
Sorry for the confusion. I should not have used that abbreviation.

GFW = Good Faith Waiver.

I have made the correction to my original post as well.

Last edited by wildestkabs; Apr 25th 2007 at 3:58 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:02 pm

Hi The IVR also says that filing the AR-11 will not change the mailing address. However, the change of address online IS the AR-11, just the electronic version. How can the electronic version update the mailing address and the paper version cannot? Another case of misinfo?
Just goes to show you how much they know at the misinformation line. Not much.

It's true, you need to file the AR-11 (either online or by mail). This does not change your address with USCIS.

You need to call the 800 number and even better, send notice in writing to anyplace you have a petition pending, this WILL change your your mailing address with USCIS. This can't be done online.

In your case, since you used your new and current address on the I-751, you don't have to do a change of address. USCIS now has your correct address.

Rene
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Just goes to show you how much they know at the misinformation line. Not much.

It's true, you need to file the AR-11 (either online or by mail). This does not change your address with USCIS.

You need to call the 800 number and even better, send notice in writing to anyplace you have a petition pending, this WILL change your your mailing address with USCIS. This can't be done online.

In your case, since you used your new and current address on the I-751, you don't have to do a change of address. USCIS now has your correct address.

Rene

I agree with Rene.. but, we dont' yet know if the electronic AR-11 filing changes your mailing addy or not (when you have a case pending, which kabs did not). Filing I-751 with the new address changes the mailing address they have for you, but does not satisfy AR-11.

To successfully change your mailing address, from the Dept of Overkill:

-file AR-11 as required by law. This does not (for sure) change your *mailing* address, but it informs USCIS where you might have been, at one time. Just do it, it's the law.

How Do I Report a Change of Address to the USCIS?
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/address.htm

AR-11 does not generally generate a NOA receipt. Send by trackable mail.

-Copy of AR-11 to any LOCAL or district office where you might have a file. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address

-copy of AR-11 to any Service Center where you might have a file. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address

-Phone call to 1-800 MisInformation line with the request: please change my mailing address

-file I-865 for USC Sponsor as required by law. You *may* get a NOA for this one and it *might* change the Sponsor's mailing address. Or not.

-file Change of Address and Mail Forwarding with the USPS. Your USCIS mail *might* get forwarded to your new addy. Or returned to USCIS, you never know. Unfortunate side effect: the PO sells your new address to bulk mailers and you are now back on every junk mailing list under the sun.

http://www.obviously.com/junkmail/
Do-it-yourself: Stop junk mail, email and phone calls

30 days later
-Follow up phone call to 1-800 to see if address change is captured.

-Cross fingers and keep an eye on processing times and when you expect to be contacted. Don't let it go for ages and then say 'dude, where's my case?'.©
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
I agree with Rene.. but, we dont' yet know if the electronic AR-11 filing changes your mailing addy or not (when you have a case pending, which kabs did not).
Meauxna, I am looking at the "Introduction" section of the "USCIS Online Change of Address" page. It kind of mixes up the use of the tool (which seems to be to update the mailing address) with a few references to the AR-11, and then also mentions that the AR-11 should not be used to update the address.

A little confusing but it does seem that this page can be used to update the mailing address.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

A little confusing but it does seem that this page can be used to update the mailing address.
Right.
I still haven't seen evidence in the form of people posting that the mailing address change was successfully completed with only an online application.
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

couriousana has a brilliant futurecouriousana has a brilliant futurecouriousana has a brilliant futurecouriousana has a brilliant futurecouriousana has a brilliant futurecouriousana has a brilliant futurecouriousana has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by meauxna
-Copy of AR-11 to any LOCAL or district office where you might have a file. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address

-copy of AR-11 to any Service Center where you might have a file. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address
How does an applicant know where his files are located? I originally sent the whole package to Chicago Lockbox, had the interview in LA, then moved to Arizona. When I check my cases thru the USCIS website the I-485, I-130 and I-131 show "This case is at our NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER location", and the I-765 doesn't list any information. When I moved I did all the other steps, except for these ones...

Thank you all for all the help I get from this forum!

Ana

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.