British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Chances of being denied at US border? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/chances-being-denied-us-border-858798/)

tintin24 May 25th 2015 7:35 am

Re: Chances of being denied at US border?

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11655889)

Which airport will you be arriving at?

JFK, never had a problem there before and always found them to be very friendly and welcoming.

I was wondering do they keep a record of anything you may have said on previous entries?

tintin24 May 25th 2015 7:44 am

Originally Posted by crg (Post 11656177)
I'd make absolutely sure the last 90 day trip wasn't a 91+ day trip.

My last trip was exactly 90 days, actually it may have been more like 89 days as my flight got in at 23:30 and must've been going on midnight by the time I got passed boarder control?
But I really wish it wasn't now, I wish I left a month sooner or something because I was totally oblivious to the rules and problems I could run into by doing this, at the time I was just more concerned with spending as much time as possible with my girlfriend.

But I definitely left on the day that was stamped on my passport

Update - I just checked my passport and the entry date is stamped as 16th Jan, and date to leave by is 15th April, so it was past midnight when I was admitted into the country

Do you suggest I bring prove of my last trip in case they try saying I over stayed?

ian-mstm May 25th 2015 8:02 am

Originally Posted by tintin24 (Post 11656278)
Do you suggest I bring prove of my last trip in case they try saying I over stayed?

I wouldn't worry about it. They'll know when you left - because it'll be part of the airline's manifest that you were on board. You really seem to be worrying over nothing at all. And... what's the worst that could happen? You are denied entry to the US... it's not a life/death situation, as annoying as it might be!

Ian

Pulaski May 25th 2015 9:14 am

Originally Posted by tintin24 (Post 11656264)
JFK, never had a problem there before and always found them to be very friendly and welcoming.

I was wondering do they keep a record of anything you may have said on previous entries?

JFK shouldn't be a problem, nor if it were any of the other big international airports. I only had grief at Podunk International, and I recommend avoiding the smaller ports of entry for that reason.

tintin24 May 25th 2015 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11656352)
JFK shouldn't be a problem, nor if it were any of the other big international airports. I only had grief at Podunk International, and I recommend avoiding the smaller ports of entry for that reason.

Yeah I've heard smaller airports can be more trouble, I've even heard Dublin can be a problem? I guess I was a good thing I decided not to go to Albany airport then?
What happened at Podunk?

Orangepants May 25th 2015 9:53 am

Originally Posted by tintin24 (Post 11656264)

Yes they record notes of what was said, so be consistent.

Pulaski May 25th 2015 10:11 am

Originally Posted by tintin24 (Post 11656384)
Yeah I've heard smaller airports can be more trouble, I've even heard Dublin can be a problem? I guess I was a good thing I decided not to go to Albany airport then?
What happened at Podunk?

Third degree at the immigration desk. I was lucky, I think, to not be sent to secondary.

It was my first ever visit to the US and the questions went something like this:

Business or pleasure? - Pleasure
Why are you here? - To visit a friend
Male or female? - Female
When did you last meet this friend? - I haven't yet, we met on-line.
Ooonnn liiiine. ..... Are you going to get married? [Fifth bloody question! :rolleyes:] - No. Not this week.
But you might? - I don't know, I haven't met her yet.

After several more questions he circled back again and asked if we were going to get married? I still said "no".
Are you sure? - Yes! - Maybe you'd like to ask her back here, she's waiting outside for me, and ask her what she is planning to do?
[Officer laughs] No, that won't be necessary. Enjoy your stay. [Stamps passport].

Phew! :unsure:

tintin24 May 25th 2015 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 11656387)
Yes they record notes of what was said, so be consistent.

I've heard somewhere that they don't have any records in front of them on you when they scan your passport, only if you've had any previous problems while crossing the border, I think they need to go to someone higher up to find out anything else, but who knows unless you work for border control, right?

crg May 25th 2015 11:14 am

What happened at Podunk?

I doubt you could have cleared in Albany. The flights to that airport are generally Precleared in Canada and I doubt those flights still run.

I would guess Podunk to be...... Charlotte?

ian-mstm May 25th 2015 12:06 pm

What happened at Podunk?

Podunk isn't actually a place... it's American slang for a small, backwoods place.

Ian

ian-mstm May 25th 2015 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by tintin24 (Post 11656404)
I've heard somewhere that they don't have any records in front of them...

As soon as they scan your passport, they have all the information linked to that passport... including all previous entries and any notes that a prior officer might have made - whether there was an issue or not.

I think they need to go to someone higher up to find out anything else...
They don't need to go to anyone else... it's all there on a screen in front of them. Never forget that the CBP officer has one job... and one job only - to keep non-US citizens out of the US.

Ian

E2Brutus May 25th 2015 12:40 pm

[QUOTE=ian-mstm;11656495]As soon as they scan your passport, they have all the information linked to that passport... including all previous entries and any notes that a prior officer might have made - whether there was an issue or not.
[QUOTE]

I overstayed an I94 and a CBP Officer told me that upon re-entry the overstay would not be visible to the border officer letting me in, so he advised me to go out and come it to get current, which I did without issue.

tintin24 May 25th 2015 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 11656488)
Podunk isn't actually a place... it's American slang for a small, backwoods place.

Ian

I know

crg May 25th 2015 12:49 pm

[QUOTE=E2Brutus;11656511][QUOTE=ian-mstm;11656495]As soon as they scan your passport, they have all the information linked to that passport... including all previous entries and any notes that a prior officer might have made - whether there was an issue or not.

I overstayed an I94 and a CBP Officer told me that upon re-entry the overstay would not be visible to the border officer letting me in, so he advised me to go out and come it to get current, which I did without issue.
That's odd. An overstay voids a visa per 222(g) and there are ineligibilities for VWP travel following an overstay. So either way, a government employee appears to have ignored a regulation and then encouraged someone to come in without appropriate documents (unless a new visa was obtained before the next entry). It sounds like a crime was committed.

tintin24 May 25th 2015 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 11656495)
As soon as they scan your passport, they have all the information linked to that passport... including all previous entries and any notes that a prior officer might have made - whether there was an issue or not.

They don't need to go to anyone else... it's all there on a screen in front of them. Never forget that the CBP officer has one job... and one job only - to keep non-US citizens out of the US.

Ian

Do you this to be fact? Because everything I've read says its shows them nothing except the info in your passport and if there's ever been any issues in the past when coming into the country, they even need to look at stamps in your passport to see your previous visits.