Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Chances of being denied entry on the VWP

Chances of being denied entry on the VWP

Old Sep 13th 2012, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Element is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chances of being denied entry on the VWP

Hi, after reading some old topics here it's left me with a bit of concern over my upcoming trip to the US from the 14th dec - 14th jan. Anyway here's the general info:

21 year old male, met girlfriend online in October 2010, flew to see her for a week in June 2011, again at the end of August 2011 for 13 days. Next visit was for 13 days during April 2012, I then visited again for 3 weeks this time in June 2012, and once more recently for 12 days at the end of August 2012.

Each time I go there I obviously get questioned a bit about my motives etc but there's never been any problems and I've never gotten a secondary interrogation once.

Although the last 2 times I've visited, I've been getting a few more questions. For example in June I was asked to produce my return plane ticket on top of the normal questions of how much money I was carrying, what my occupation is, why I'm here, how did I meet my girlfriend etc etc.

This time in August I was again questioned for a little longer than I was in June and the questioning ended with the comment "Maybe you should look into a tourist visa if you're planning to spend more time in the US", I replied with "I'm visiting again over Christmas/New year for 4 weeks, will that be fine?" to which he replied "There should be no problems" and that was it, he stamped my passport and let me through.

Now after reading some old topics here I'm very worried about being refused entry in December because of the amount of visits in a short period of time. I calculated that if I do get entry in December then from the 1st January 2012 - 1st January 2013 I will have spent around 62 days inside of the US. Although I did hear that generally (not always obviously as it all depends on whether the agent wishes to let you in or not at that particular time) that you should be ok providing you stay out of the US for aslong as you stay in it, so if I've been out of the US for 3 and a half months before my next visit do you think there should be many problems?

Also I'm a bit worried on the strong ties bit, I live with my grandmother at home and I'm currently unemployed right now due to some medical problems (claiming employment and support allowance) so I can't get a letter from an employer stating that I'll be back to work. The only thing I can produce is a return ticket and my word that I shall not overstay. I'm hoping that me already coming and going 5 times without any problems or overstays will have some weight but I'm not sure it will. Bank statements won't be of any use if I'm not employed, correct? And internet bill for example won't be of any use? Obviously the utility bills aren't in my name cause I'm not the home owner here.

Sorry for the long winded post, thanks in advance for any information.

Also is there anything else besides what I listed that could help me prove my ties to my home country? Or is there anything I could do that could prove that I'm not there to stay or work (for example pictures of us together from the different trips, planning to spend some time in Boston with her over the period too so would proof of hotel reversation and bus tickets be of any use to prove I'm doing touristy stuff etc?)

Last edited by Element; Sep 13th 2012 at 6:02 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of being denied entry on the VWP

Stop worrying - you'll be fine. As you say, you have spent more time outside the US than in it so nothing to worry about there. And you would be probably be much more unlikely to get a tourist visa as you're eligible for ESTA/VWP.

Presumably your ESTA is still valid as well?
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by captainsensible
Stop worrying - you'll be fine. As you say, you have spent more time outside the US than in it so nothing to worry about there. And you would be probably be much more unlikely to get a tourist visa as you're eligible for ESTA/VWP.

Presumably your ESTA is still valid as well?
ESTA valid until 2014.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't expect that you will have any problems although, of course, it is impossible to be certain.

The single most important thing that you can do is to try not to worry about it.

Ultimately the decision on whether or not to admit you under the VWP comes down to credibility - if you give satisfactory answers to the questions that you are asked and they believe you then you will not have a problem - if, for any reason, they don't believe you then producing a few more pieces of paper is unlikely to make a difference. The more nervous or stressed about it that you are the more likely it is that you may *appear* to them to be untruthful or evasive.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by md95065
I don't expect that you will have any problems although, of course, it is impossible to be certain.

The single most important thing that you can do is to try not to worry about it.

Ultimately the decision on whether or not to admit you under the VWP comes down to credibility - if you give satisfactory answers to the questions that you are asked and they believe you then you will not have a problem - if, for any reason, they don't believe you then producing a few more pieces of paper is unlikely to make a difference. The more nervous or stressed about it that you are the more likely it is that you may *appear* to them to be untruthful or evasive.
Yep so far I've just been 100% upfront and honest, even the first time I went there I could have just said I'm on vacation or something but I told the agent that I was here to visit my girlfriend that I met online, I will continue to just be truthful and hope for the best. Thanks for the replies
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Element
This time in August I was again questioned for a little longer than I was in June and the questioning ended with the comment "Maybe you should look into a tourist visa if you're planning to spend more time in the US",
Just in case it needs to be pointed out, this is pretty much the worst advice ever.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zerlesen
Originally Posted by Element
This time in August I was again questioned for a little longer than I was in June and the questioning ended with the comment "Maybe you should look into a tourist visa if you're planning to spend more time in the US"
Just in case it needs to be pointed out, this is pretty much the worst advice ever.
Agreed. It right up there with "Can you stick your tongue on this wire? I want to know if it's live."
Old Oct 12th 2012, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

johnboy11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed. Bad advice to apply for a visa. I tried for a B2 and got denied. Best thing to do is stick with ESTA. My advice to anyone trying for a B2 is do not bother.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 2:06 pm
Banned

numbchuck is an unknown quantity at this point

no offence but how does someone on benefits afford multiple trips to the US? are the benefits so lucrative in the UK. must be fools to bother working there if such!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by numbchuck
no offence but how does someone on benefits afford multiple trips to the US? are the benefits so lucrative in the UK. must be fools to bother working there if such!
Maybe the cost of the trip is being met by family or the partner in the USA. Perhaps this person has savings? Just because someone is claiming benefits, you shouldn't automatically assume they're fleecing the taxpayer for jetting across the pond and living the life of Reilly.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by numbchuck
Love it. You start with no offense, but then you are offensive. OP never once said that they use benefits to afford their travels. in fact the only person that has made this assumption is yourself. Stick to the subject matter and leave your own agenda at the door.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 3:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Please ignore advice from numbchuck....he is a troll giving out misleading information.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:02 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Just to screw down the coffin lid, my husband is indeed visiting me in the US at my expense, and I'm using money from an account I established to help me meet moving expenses for an overseas transfer that didn't come off. The money he has or doesn't have is neither here nor there since we decided this was the fund we would use to defray immigration costs, and his money would be used for other things we need.