Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

CEAC saying Administrative Processing - when should I panic

CEAC saying Administrative Processing - when should I panic

Old Jan 24th 2014, 10:46 am
Just Joined

wentmat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CEAC saying Administrative Processing - when should I panic

Hi all

So I had my interview for an F-2 visa last Friday, and was approved. However, on the CEAC visa status check it is saying, and has been saying since last Friday, "Administrative Processing".

I know that the CEAC website goes to AP automatically after an inteview, so tell me if you think I am panicking prematurely, but as it has been a week since my interview I am perplexed.

My wife is studying in the US, and I visited her three or four times under the visa waiver program last year without any problems. I decided to apply for an F-2 visa this time because my wife is pregnant, due on April 2, and she cannot fly back to the UK due to complications, so I thought I might need to stay for slightly longer than 90 days this time.

I told all this to the interviewing officer, as well as the fact that I would return to the UK after the birth, and my wife will need to as well, not least because I am in full time employment which is paying for her studies with a London employer.

I have assumed up to now that if there was a technical reason why I couldn't be issued with a visa (incorrect I-20, problems with the SEVIS fee, they need an additional photo etc)then I would have been told at the interview, but is this correct?

On top of this, I am not sure what further information they could need from me now which they didn't request at the interview.

The bottom line is that if they are going to take weeks (or even months) to issue the visa then I would rather just have my passport back and travel for a shorter period of time under the visa waiver program, at least then I can guarantee I will be there for the birth, especially if the baby comes early.

Any thoughts on how I can speed things up, and if necessary get the embassy to just return my passport without the visa, would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

Matthew
Old Jan 24th 2014, 11:45 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CEAC saying Administrative Processing - when should I panic

You shouldn't ever panic. It doesn't do anything but steal strength you need to deal with stress.

Sermons aside, don't assume anything. You are not always told at the interview that you are in AP. Sometimes you receive a letter later asking for more information. You can't know exactly why you are in AP because they will not tell you, except for asking for more information. There's nothing you can do to speed things up besides providing any required information speedily. Yes, they have been known to ask again for things you have already provided. Did they SAY you were approved?

You probably can't travel on the VWP until this is resolved, because failure to approve a visa means it has been denied (even if just temporarily), and you must declare it as a denial where the ESTA form asks about denied visas.

We have seen several cases of AP lasting more than a week before clearing up, just because normal processing appeared to have taken that long. Before long you should receive either your passport back or a letter stating you are in AP.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Speedwell
You shouldn't ever panic. It doesn't do anything but steal strength you need to deal with stress.

Sermons aside, don't assume anything. You are not always told at the interview that you are in AP. Sometimes you receive a letter later asking for more information. You can't know exactly why you are in AP because they will not tell you, except for asking for more information. There's nothing you can do to speed things up besides providing any required information speedily. Yes, they have been known to ask again for things you have already provided. Did they SAY you were approved?

You probably can't travel on the VWP until this is resolved, because failure to approve a visa means it has been denied (even if just temporarily), and you must declare it as a denial where the ESTA form asks about denied visas.

We have seen several cases of AP lasting more than a week before clearing up, just because normal processing appeared to have taken that long. Before long you should receive either your passport back or a letter stating you are in AP.
Thanks for the information - thelady said I was approved and I could expect an email from the courier company. I guess they could have changed their mind though.

I do already have an ESTA so I wouldn't need to file again, but I assume that, because of the fact that I am awaiting a visa, I can no longer use the VWP in the interim.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

I have been surfing the Embassy website and also the ESTA webpage, if I simply get the Embassy to return my passport now whilst they are considering my visa application, and as I have an existing ESTA approval, I am not sure why I couldn't just travel under the VWP?
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

SkyBlueInOregon is an unknown quantity at this point

I added a question (L2 Visa 'Issued' / L1A 'Admin Processing') just like this two weeks. I was stressing as I had booked flights after being told verbally I was approved....but then it changed to 'issued'. It took 7 working days.
Probably worth waiting a couple more days, you can always email them, they do reply.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:50 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wentmat
I have been surfing the Embassy website and also the ESTA webpage, if I simply get the Embassy to return my passport now whilst they are considering my visa application, and as I have an existing ESTA approval, I am not sure why I couldn't just travel under the VWP?
wentmat, the way I understand it is that if you have been denied a visa, the conditions under which you applied for the previous ESTA no longer apply, therefore the VWP is unavailable to you. Given that it isn't clear that you have been denied at all, I'm not sure what the exact rules are in your case and I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would weigh in.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:14 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Speedwell is correct - your current ESTA is no longer valid due to the (temporary) visa denial.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Now changed to "Issued".

Proving Speedwell right that panicking never does anyone any good, and that they really do need to come up with new terminology on the CEAC system for when you are just waiting for a visa to be processed in the ordinary way (my suggestion would be to go for "Processing".
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:17 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

How about just 'Panic' and 'Don't Panic'
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:49 pm
Mouthy Yank

Jesus Christ, I applied for my second Tier 2 work visa from the UK after the first one was stolen, and received an approval, in less time than it took wentmat's status to go to "issued" from his interview day.

Well, anyway glad it all cleared up! I notice a trend of people losing their minds within hours of the status changing. Maybe the NSA is perfecting their mental rays and cackling with glee when we set off the "panic state" alarms.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 3:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
I notice a trend of people losing their minds within hours of the status changing.
That's why it's really NOT a good idea to put all this detailed information online for the general public to look at. It just causes panic when there's no need. If the OP hadn't been able to see the AP comment, he would have just sat patiently and not stressed about it.

Rene