British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Caution for arson.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/caution-arson-608486/)

crg May 18th 2009 2:18 am

Re: Caution for arson....

Originally Posted by bjohn (Post 7581812)
Agree. But all advice suggests a visit to Grosvenor Sq for a B2 visa application is required if an arrest has occured. That's something like 30% of British males under 35.

We're not discussing whether or not the person needs to answer Yes or No on the ESTA, VWP Form, or visa application. They clearly must answer YES.

We're discussing whether or not a caution is the equivalent of a conviction or admission to the essential elements of a CIMT or controlled substance violation. According to anecdotal evidence, the State Dept's Foreign Affairs Manual, and immigration court decisions, it is not.

The applicant would need a visa and waiver of inadmissibility if it were. That hasn't been happening across the board.

robb2002 May 20th 2009 8:23 am

Do I have to go to London or can I go to Belfast? Belfast would be much easier for me and cheaper too!!!
Thanks

TumpMasterFlex Jun 26th 2009 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7577857)
Everyone?

What about those who are told "just sign this and we'll let you go ... "

This is what I was told. That its merely a warning from the police, which is only used in the context of evaluation of potential future crimes. Maybe I should have been more well versed on the Law, but as a Brti, I grew up outside of the UK and wasn't as savvy as the rest of you seem to be. The police implied to me, a caution is an incredibly forgiving and unobtrusive outcome, and ones generally very lucky to get this versus a court date.

They categorically told me, it amounts to one having a police file, but NOT a criminal record. I haven't been back to the US in years, but I'm suppossed to for a very good friends wedding, and an ailing Grandmother, but the mere prospect of having to go to the American Embassy gives me a migrane, and frankly I don't handle pressure very well.

robb2002 Nov 12th 2009 4:25 am

Hello everyone, long time no speak. Ok so the caution has now finally been re-tracted which therefore means it isn't on my record anymore.

Where does this lead me with regards to entering Canada/USA. Am I able to do so more easily now?

Thank you for all of your support you have been very kind.

Best Wishes

meauxna Nov 12th 2009 4:42 am

Originally Posted by robb2002 (Post 8094037)
Hello everyone, long time no speak. Ok so the caution has now finally been re-tracted which therefore means it isn't on my record anymore.

Where does this lead me with regards to entering Canada/USA. Am I able to do so more easily now?

Thank you for all of your support you have been very kind.

Best Wishes

Go back and read from post 43 on.