Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

carpenter looking to move to colorado

carpenter looking to move to colorado

Old Mar 26th 2018, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Kneeno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: carpenter looking to move to colorado

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I am.

No paid leave, no healthcare coverage, crap wages and thanks to twenty years in the UK self employed my pension prospects suck. I had over twenty years time served as a highly skilled joiner in the boatbuilding industry (think 100 quid/hr skilled to get some idea). I couldn't even get a job as a kitchen fitter here when I moved out, nobody trusts skilled immigrants! Currently working as an aluminium roofer/builder with a bit of general construction thrown in, only got that job because the boss was willing to take a punt on the unknown.

Canada was somewhere I looked at before meeting a US wife, which changed things up a bit. Canada is screaming for skilled trades, so much so that they don't issue enough work visas to meet demand! The points system was easy to reach target, especially if you have a smattering of French to bump up the numbers. But, unlike Colorado, you can't buy cannabis legally in Canada.

Cultural differences here are underestimated, they nearly speak English which helps but I found it easier living and working in France than I do here.

On a positive note, with the way things are going with talk about visas here it might not be many years before the US offers a skilled trades visa but I wouldn't want to waste my life hanging about hoping for it to happen. Unfortunately, much as we like to avoid government interference, immigration puts us right in the forefront of government red tape.
I've posted elsewhere I was an electrician for over 30 years back in the UK and just recently got my electrical license here in Ky. Been working part-time with a local firm to get my feet wet again and although it's different it's similar if that makes sense?

Had an interview recently with a large firm hoping to maybe go on the road with them but I could tell my interviewer was reticent due to my lack of experience over here. Seems the deadline for them has now passed and although frustrating it makes me more determined to get back into sparking as US standards are quite below UK ones in my opinion and I have no doubt I can carry out the work here to more than acceptable standards.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 5:02 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kneeno
I've posted elsewhere I was an electrician for over 30 years back in the UK and just recently got my electrical license here in Ky. Been working part-time with a local firm to get my feet wet again and although it's different it's similar if that makes sense?

Had an interview recently with a large firm hoping to maybe go on the road with them but I could tell my interviewer was reticent due to my lack of experience over here. Seems the deadline for them has now passed and although frustrating it makes me more determined to get back into sparking as US standards are quite below UK ones in my opinion and I have no doubt I can carry out the work here to more than acceptable standards.
For the OP’s information, it was marriage, not your job, that brought you to the US, wasn’t it?
Old Mar 26th 2018, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Kneeno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
For the OP’s information, it was marriage, not your job, that brought you to the US, wasn’t it?

Indeed, so a little off topic. Sorry.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the OP is looking for sponsorship as per his posts and his PM to me, which won't happen.

I'm not 100% sure he's even visited here before, although that's fairly irrelevant.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Originally Posted by Kneeno
Indeed, so a little off topic. Sorry.
Is it off topic? We all know there are no US visas for skilled trades so the most likely route for anyone working in construction (as asked by the OP), myself included, is through the marriage route.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarkefamily
whos in construction on here?
I am, I've only been in it for one and a half years mind you though. Being in the bay area of California the pay is better than other states here but that's offset by cost of living and travel and also as others have said you don't get any benefits.

In my opinion the only way to get ahead in this line of work is to get your contractors licence and go solo.

Some people saying you're gunna need to know Spanish, not in my experience personally as I've been working along a load of white americans that are kinda bitter because the cost of living is crazy in the bay area.

Then there is your foreign qualifications that mean nothing here.

I've enjoyed it so far but it can be very hard. Last year I was up cutting away a roof for a second floor addition. it was 106 degrees and I started feeling dizzy and sick from the heat and had to go sit in the shade for a bit.

Anyhow as others have said i'm afraid coming to America isn't on the cards for you, best of luck to you in the future though.

(I am here through marriage to my wife btw)

Last edited by cheradenine; Mar 26th 2018 at 10:21 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

To those answering the OP’s question... ‘who is in construction?’ It would be helpful if you could state how you obtained a visa to live and work in the US...or perhaps you are a USC.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:20 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Is it off topic? We all know there are no US visas for skilled trades so the most likely route for anyone working in construction (as asked by the OP), myself included, is through the marriage route.
Well, as the OP was the Clarkefamily, that would seem to be off the table!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

EB3?
Old Mar 27th 2018, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
EB3?
EB-3 "skilled worker", however i am guessing Labor Cert part would likely kill it. If he could get through the PERM, maybe. EB-1C could also be another long shot.

Last edited by neill; Mar 27th 2018 at 3:56 am. Reason: EB3 category
Old Mar 27th 2018, 4:01 am
Account Closed

45,000 manage it
Old Mar 28th 2018, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
45,000 manage it

That well maybe, it might be helpful if OP expanded upon his status as carpenter, it's nearly as broad as saying 'office worker'. I am a time served old school joiner, at a stretch you can call me a carpenter but I'll get the umph if you call me a chippie ( that's not saying that chippies are unskilled).

Assuming the OP doesn't come from an older school of woodworking I would suggest that the first thing he does is fully acquaint himself with the Imperial system of measurement, 18" is not 450mm...
Old Mar 28th 2018, 1:42 am
Account Closed

That well maybe, it might be helpful if OP expanded upon his status as carpenter, it's nearly as broad as saying 'office worker'. I am a time served old school joiner, at a stretch you can call me a carpenter but I'll get the umph if you call me a chippie ( that's not saying that chippies are unskilled).

Assuming the OP doesn't come from an older school of woodworking I would suggest that the first thing he does is fully acquaint himself with the Imperial system of measurement, 18" is not 450mm...
Agree

Not sure what they use now I was taught Imperial but can use Metric and often do so for small measurements
Old Mar 28th 2018, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that the first thing he does is fully acquaint himself with the Imperial system of measurement, 18" is not 450mm...
The conversion from Imperial to Metric in the building trades was particularly bad. Things got munged up and down to nice metric round numbers without much thought. That said, 18" is 457.2mm ....for a carpenter, that might be near enough....

Wasn't there a metric brick at one point that was too big to hold in one hand ?
Old Mar 28th 2018, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steveq

Wasn't there a metric brick at one point that was too big to hold in one hand ?
No idea, not much call for brick handling in the joinery game

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.