Car insurance

Old Mar 30th 2003, 10:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car insurance

Can anyone suggest any companies that might be able to help?.

My fiance is coming to the Uk for 2 months this year from Oz and we intended to buy a cheap car (as we are travelling round a lot of relatives!) and then sell it again when he leaves. I don't drive at all, so it would be in his name and him driving it.

Anyone suggest an insurance company that will A) insure a non-UK resident, and B) do insurance for just 2 months.
I am getting turned down by lots of companies for one or both of these reasons.

Thanks in advance,
Pollyana
Old Mar 31st 2003, 8:13 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car insurance

Originally posted by Pollyana
Can anyone suggest any companies that might be able to help?.

My fiance is coming to the Uk for 2 months this year from Oz and we intended to buy a cheap car (as we are travelling round a lot of relatives!) and then sell it again when he leaves. I don't drive at all, so it would be in his name and him driving it.

Anyone suggest an insurance company that will A) insure a non-UK resident, and B) do insurance for just 2 months.
I am getting turned down by lots of companies for one or both of these reasons.

Thanks in advance,
Pollyana
Have you looked at the cost of renting a small car for 2 months? It may work out cheaper and less hassle in the long run. You won't find many UK isurance companies that are willing to insure you for such a short space of time the usual length is 1 year although some companies will do 6 months. Also premiums will be very high if you have no 'no claims' record.
Old Apr 1st 2003, 3:09 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Emm
Have you looked at the cost of renting a small car for 2 months? It may work out cheaper and less hassle in the long run. You won't find many UK isurance companies that are willing to insure you for such a short space of time the usual length is 1 year although some companies will do 6 months. Also premiums will be very high if you have no 'no claims' record.
This is not a bad idea that emm has suggested - it need not be expensive to do this. When I went back for a holiday years ago, I had no car, so I rented an inexpensive car (rent a wreck - basically which is not as bad as it sounds - cars which are not "new") it was not expensive, I can't remember the exact cost it was - but it was less than 10 pounds a day.

The other option - have you any generous friends or relatives who will insure the car in their name and allow your boyfriend to drive on their insurance.

cheers
Old Apr 1st 2003, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Ceri
This is not a bad idea that emm has suggested - it need not be expensive to do this. When I went back for a holiday years ago, I had no car, so I rented an inexpensive car (rent a wreck - basically which is not as bad as it sounds - cars which are not "new") it was not expensive, I can't remember the exact cost it was - but it was less than 10 pounds a day.

The other option - have you any generous friends or relatives who will insure the car in their name and allow your boyfriend to drive on their insurance.

cheers
Ceri,

did you hire from the airport? If you have the name of the Company, I would appreciate it as we will be returning to the UK for a short time later this year (hurrah!) before going over to mainland Europe and didn`t want to have to buy a RH drive car only to have to sell it to get a LH one in Europe!
Old Apr 2nd 2003, 1:32 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Ceri,

did you hire from the airport? If you have the name of the Company, I would appreciate it as we will be returning to the UK for a short time later this year (hurrah!) before going over to mainland Europe and didn`t want to have to buy a RH drive car only to have to sell it to get a LH one in Europe!

Sorry, I haven’t got the name of the company. It was a small business based in Swansea, so that wouldn’t have been any good to you anyway.
What we did, we rented a car from Heathrow from one of the major car hire companies there in the airport- just to get us home, dropped the car off at one their offices/outlets in Swansea. Then I rented a cheap car for myself for three weeks (Hubby managed to pilfer his fathers car for himself for three weeks) from a local company, as I didn’t want to rely on people, or hubby to run me around places. I got the company from looking in the ad’s in the daily paper there (Evening post), at least I think it was in the paper, or it might have been the local yellow pages, I can’t remember – I think it was the paper

There are a few companies, throughout the UK which are the same, renting out older cheaper cars, what I mean by old is a 5 to maybe 8 year old car, nothing wrong with them. It was not expensive to rent this car, I honestly can’t remember the exact cost, except it was very cheap compared to the big major car rental companies, and it was definitely under 10 pounds a day – I wouldn’t have rented the car if it had been expensive. I think there is one company that does actually call itself “Rent a wreck�

I just looked at one company in the UK, there are probably a cheaper companies than this one if you do a search – I’m just using this as an example it’s called “cheepcar� didn’t put the link here because it may be against advertising rules - if you do a search in a British search engine (I used Yahoo UK and Ireland only)

They rent from the major airports as well, and all over Britian.

Prices are below for this company (Prices, unless otherwise stated on your voucher include unlimited mileage, full breakdown cover, third party insurance, collision damage waiver, airport surcharges, taxes and fees) These were the cheapest cars on their web site (this is for one months hire, and from airport) - I think you just need to search a bit on the net for cheap car hire, or rent a wreck etc, or try the yellow pages online.

The other option, try a “backpackers forum� they always seem to know where to get cheap things – they maybe able to help.

MCMN DAEWOO MATIZ 0.8:4:2 - 571.95 (prices in pounds)
ECMN VAUXHALL CORSA 1.2:4:2 - 669.60
CCMN VAUXHALL ASTRA 1.4:4:4 - 725.40

Cheers