Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Cancellation of previous & denied K-1 application

Cancellation of previous & denied K-1 application

Old Jun 8th 2004, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

AnnaV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cancellation of previous & denied K-1 application

Originally posted by kebuchan
Most people I've met from the Philippines have very good command of the English language. As is the case with Singapore, Sri Lanka and some folks from India. Accent is a different thing but one cannot detect accent in a type written message.
It always used to annoy me in grad school when, after the first few minutes talking to an American, they would comment, "Your English is really good," as if they expected my command of the language to be inferior somehow because I'm not from the US.

Of course, the table is often turned on them when I had my other foreign friends (mostly Indians) with me who insist we should be conversing in English and not AMERICAN. Shades of Oscar Wilde, I guess.

As for the OP, she was denied a K1 in February, met the new guy in April, got engaged in May, and now trying to get a new K1. I guess the only thing she can do is go ahead and apply for the K1 and see what happens. I doubt the nobility of her intentions, but I don't know her, and I am not adjudicating her application. I do hope she gets all that she deserves.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 6:48 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by AnnaV
Of course, the table is often turned on them when I had my other foreign friends (mostly Indians) with me who insist we should be conversing in English and not AMERICAN. Shades of Oscar Wilde, I guess.
Lol... Same with me. I have now reverted to spelling English as I was taught, using expressions I have used all my life and avoid using American expressions as much as possible. Not easy though because some of it has crept in because I'm now married to an American
Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:55 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ranjini
Not easy though because some of it has crept in because I'm now married to an American
Hehehe!! The reverse applies to Corey and I. It's so funny hearing him say, "Bloody 'ell" with a full on Cockney accent whenever he drops something or bumps his toe!

Kate. xxxx
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:01 pm
Banned

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Hehehe!! The reverse applies to Corey and I. It's so funny hearing him say, "Bloody 'ell" with a full on Cockney accent whenever he drops something or bumps his toe!

Kate. xxxx
That's so cute Ken sometimes says "bugger" just the way I do when I'm frustrated.....
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:26 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

How about the K3 route??
Just a thought.
Good Luck!
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:27 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

That's so cute Ken sometimes says "bugger" just the way I do when I'm frustrated.....
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

At long as he does not use the word as an instruction or suggestion eh!!!
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

tweeky,

What about the K3 route?

Whether the marriage is future (K1) or past (K3), the consulate will want to be convinced that it isn't entered into for the purpose of evading immigration requirements and getting into the USA.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
How about the K3 route??
Just a thought.
Good Luck!
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:43 pm

I have a friend in Belgium who learned basic English in school and continued to read (a lot) but she doesn't express herself too well when she speaks. Just enough to make herself understood. She writes beautiful English though.
Members of my family, my parents, aunts and uncles included on the other hand, were educated in British private schools (from kindergarten upwards) set up in my country by Anglican missionaries. We attended private Elocution classes to learn to speak the language properly from a very young age. The principal and many teachers in my school were British. But you are right. We don't have British accents
The very first time I got to the US.. I though I knew English but was I wrong!!. I was able to compose beautiful essays but my ability of expression and comprehension was terrible!
I turned on the text feature of my TV, read a lot and talk loads to my host mom Kathy (even If you make mistakes don't be discouraged.. keep on talking.. it greatly improves your oral ability). I don't hold a masters degree in English.. but I don't need it either
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:46 pm
Banned

Originally posted by ray6
At long as he does not use the word as an instruction or suggestion eh!!!

Hehehe... one does forget sometimes the origin of the word :scared: Trust you to think of something like that One track mind...
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:47 pm

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
tweeky,

What about the K3 route?

Whether the marriage is future (K1) or past (K3), the consulate will want to be convinced that it isn't entered into for the purpose of evading immigration requirements and getting into the USA.

Regards, JEff

Hey there Jeff

I am sorry,I was naive to think being married could make a difference
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:49 pm
Banned

Tweeks!! Where have you been??? Tell me about Harry Potter Bugger -- maybe we should start a new thread for Harry Potter. These threads have a way of running away, don't you think....
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:49 pm

Hehehe... one does forget sometimes the origin of the word :scared: Trust you to think of something like that One track mind...

Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:52 pm

Tweeks!! Where have you been??? Tell me about Harry Potter Bugger -- maybe we should start a new thread for Harry Potter. These threads have a way of running away, don't you think....
Hey!!

I have been home unable to get online!, My internet service provider had a "technical" problem in the Denver Metro area. It took them 3 days to fix it!! Arg!!
I couldn't go see Harry Potter but I am going to on Friday!!
This thread has gone "a bit" OT
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:55 pm
Banned

Hey!!

I have been home unable to get online!, My internet service provider had a "technical" problem in the Denver Metro area. It took them 3 days to fix it!! Arg!!
I couldn't go see Harry Potter but I am going to on Friday!!
This thread has gone "a bit" OT
Well the OP has lots of suggestions she can work on. I just hope she is not overwhelmed by our over enthusiasm. You know what? Harry Potter is coming to the Imax in our area this Friday. Ken thinks I'm nuts but I think he'll come with me....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.