Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Canadian PR holder applying for F1 (student) visa

Canadian PR holder applying for F1 (student) visa

Old May 9th 2007, 1:16 am
rututamhankar

Default Canadian PR holder applying for F1 (student) visa

Hi!

I have a Canadian PR visa and intend to study in USA on F-1 visa. I
plan to live in Windsor (Canada) and commute daily to my school in
USA. I had some questions regarding F1 visa application:

1. Is it possible to study full-time in US on F1 visa and live in
Canada on PR visa. Are there any legal/visa/pratical considerations
that I should know?
2. I plan to get the F1 visa-stamp at a US consulate in Canada. Are
there any problems/issues in getting the F1 visa at a US consulate in
Canada, given that I have a Canadian PR visa and my home country is
not Canada?

Thank you for your help!
RT.

Old May 10th 2007, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

marielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to all
Default Re: Canadian PR holder applying for F1 (student) visa

Not a problem at all; you will be able to cross the border every day and go back to Canada to sleep; there are plenty of people that live in Canada (say Niagara Falls or St. Catharines and work in Buffalo or Rochester; then studying doesnt make much of a difference.

Nothing special that you should be aware of; only 2 issues I see here: you will have to pay a lot of money as a foreign student in the US while Canadian Universities are very good and affordable (but that is your problem), the other issue is that you will have to get a Lexus card in order to avoid spending one or two hours everytime you cross the US border.

Good luck in your everyday trip.