Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

canadian citizen wants to immigrate to USA

canadian citizen wants to immigrate to USA

Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:46 am
Just Joined

vancouver_kitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default canadian citizen wants to immigrate to USA

I am a dual British/Canadian Citizen.

I was born in UK, become a canadian PR then later a canadian citizen.

I have been working and living in canada for 4 years now.
I work as a desktop support engineer.

I know that a canadian or mexican can get a TN VISA BUT their occupation has to be listed in the NAFTA list

http://hr.albany.edu/content/occupations.pdf

the closest to my occupation is a computer analyst.

what are my chances of getting a TN visa?

my uncle and his family are canadian citizen the only reason they were able to move to vegas is because they have a business there.

I would like to know of my chances please?

IF the scenario was that I am a computer analyst on the NAFTA occupation list WITH an employment letter to show at the border AND I get granted a TV visa to work for up to a year, what are the chances of that person becoming a U.S citizen??

No chance?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 5:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: canadian citizen wants to immigrate to USA

Originally Posted by vancouver_kitty
IF the scenario was that I am a computer analyst on the NAFTA occupation list WITH an employment letter to show at the border AND I get granted a TV visa to work for up to a year, what are the chances of that person becoming a U.S citizen??

No chance?
You would somehow have to apply for US permanent residency first, depends on if your employer can apply for you or not. If so, you have to be a PR for 5 years before becoming eligible for US citizenship.

Or you might meet a nice USC, fall in love, and get married while you're here...in that case you only need to be a PR for 3 years before being eligible for US citizenship.

Rene
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know people who are Computer Analysts, I have a feeling that they would not equate themselves with Desktop Support Engineers.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 1:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vancouver_kitty
I am a dual British/Canadian Citizen.

I was born in UK, become a canadian PR then later a canadian citizen.

I have been working and living in canada for 4 years now.
I work as a desktop support engineer.

I know that a canadian or mexican can get a TN VISA BUT their occupation has to be listed in the NAFTA list
You will help yourself if you remember a few principles:

1. Canadian citizens are subject to more or less the same immigration rules in the U.S. as anyone else. They have some advantages in terms of simpler procedure, such as being able to apply for admission directly in most categories without needing a visa stamp, but the rules for getting permission are the same. So you need to think about H and L status as options.

2. TN status is an additional option available for Canadian citizens only.

3. Even if you get TN status, or H, or L, you still need to qualify for a Green Card under the usual rules. The waiting times can be long - years in some cases, and you do usually rely on your employer for sponsorship.

4. Were you born in Northern Ireland? Or have you a spouse born in a Diversity Visa eligible territory? If so, the visa lottery may be an option.

Other than that, read the "ways":
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I know people who are Computer Analysts, I have a feeling that they would not equate themselves with Desktop Support Engineers.
LOL that's true.

But I believe there is such a thing as a support analyst....which the OP could perhaps blag that he/she is. Although I think for it to be true you'd really need to be a server support person.