Canada/US border crossing

Old Feb 4th 2001, 10:23 am
lijie318

Can someone drive across US/Canada border with only plastic US green card only, without
foreign passport? It has driver's licence of course. Will US has more problem? or Canadian
site will have more problem?

Old Feb 6th 2001, 8:39 pm
Bob

Hi,

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Let me explain my situation......

I am a US citizen who has gotten involved with a Canadian Citizen. We are planning
to get married in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, (in May) but after that we will be
living in Florida, USA.

I have been looking into INS processing everything, but the whole thing might take
a year or more which is just too long to be apart. I found out information that I
could file the I-130 on the Canadian side (a consulate in Canada - Direct Consular
Filing (DCF)) which will be a bit faster than having the INS process it then send
it to the Canadian consulate. After doing it this way, the process would be at
least 3 months after we get married. But I found out today that none of the
Canadian Consulates do DCF anymore since there is an INS presense in Canada and it
needs to go through INS. I will try calling another number and confirming this,
but for now it stands.

I need to know if the I-130 should be processed on the US side or should I file a
petition for my soon to be wife or if the K3 visa would apply to us. I just need
to know what the process would be or any steps I should take to ensure that my
wife-to-be and I would not have to wait too long. I have been reading about the K3
visa (or is it K2) and I am not sure if this helps us out. It would be nice if
someone can assist us or at least point us in the right direction.

Thank you so much,

Bob

Old Feb 10th 2001, 9:41 pm
Ed MacNeil

Hi Bob,

THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT A LAWYER. I DON'T EVEN PLAY
ONE ON TV!

Probably the new K-3 visa will do what you want. Unfortunately, this visa will not be
available until regulations for it's preparation and use are published in the Federal
Register. I have no idea when that will be done.

Ed MacNeil Ancient Aviator North Hampton, NH, USA

Bob wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Let me explain my situation......
>
> I am a US citizen who has gotten involved with a Canadian Citizen. We are
> planning to get married in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, (in May) but after that we
> will be living in Florida, USA.
>
> I have been looking into INS processing everything, but the whole thing might
> take a year or more which is just too long to be apart. I found out information
> that I could file the I-130 on the Canadian side (a consulate in Canada - Direct
> Consular Filing (DCF)) which will be a bit faster than having the INS process it
> then send it to the Canadian consulate. After doing it this way, the process
> would be at least 3 months after we get married. But I found out today that none
> of the Canadian Consulates do DCF anymore since there is an INS presense in
> Canada and it needs to go through INS. I will try calling another number and
> confirming this, but for now it stands.
>
> I need to know if the I-130 should be processed on the US side or should I file
> a petition for my soon to be wife or if the K3 visa would apply to us. I just
> need to know what the process would be or any steps I should take to ensure that
> my wife-to-be and I would not have to wait too long. I have been reading about
> the K3 visa (or is it K2) and I am not sure if this helps us out. It would be
> nice if someone can assist us or at least point us in the right direction.
>
> Thank you so much,
>
> Bob