Can Spouse Work?

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 2:28 am
Craig M

Writing for a friend of mine who is Canadian. She will be marrying her U.S. fiance (he
resides in the States, she is here) at her parents church in Canada in April. After the
wedding they want to live in his home in the States. Question:

1) How quickly would she be able to get permission to work in the States?

2) What would be the most effective way to do this?

3) Is there anything they should file now, or do they wait until they are married?

FYI: This is a first marriage for both; she has no criminal history or illnesses that
would prevent her immigrating.

Thanks for any advice.

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 3:33 pm
Ed MacNeil

Hi Craig,

THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT A LAWYER. I DON'T EVEN PLAY
ONE ON TV!

Oh my!!! AND THEY ARE JUST LOOKING INTO THIS NOW!!!

Here is what they will need to do (if they marry according to your scenario):

1. Following the marriage, the groom returns to the US where he files form I-130 on
behalf of his Canadian spouse.

2. The bride remains in Canada until her visa is approved (usually from 6 months
to one year)

3. Until the visa is approved and she can enter the US as an immigrant, she will not be
able to visit in the US.

4. She will enter the US as an immigrant. Therefore, she will be allowed to work from day
one. The only thing she will have to do is obtain a social security account number
which can be done in about 10 days usually.

Ed MacNeil Ancient Aviator North Hampton, NH, USA

Craig M wrote:

> Writing for a friend of mine who is Canadian. She will be marrying her U.S. fiance (he
> resides in the States, she is here) at her parents church in Canada in April. After the
> wedding they want to live in his home in the States. Question:
>
> 1) How quickly would she be able to get permission to work in the States?
>
> 2) What would be the most effective way to do this?
>
> 3) Is there anything they should file now, or do they wait until they are married?
>
> FYI: This is a first marriage for both; she has no criminal history or illnesses that
> would prevent her immigrating.
>
> Thanks for any advice.