Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can this possibly work? Fresh approach or mistake?!

Can this possibly work? Fresh approach or mistake?!

Old Dec 7th 2003, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

jg1012002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can this possibly work? Fresh approach or mistake?!

Richard,

I would wait and see what they do next -- since they have the insurance papers now. The fact they kept the passport is a very good sign -- if they were thinking of actually denying it permanently they would not have kept the passports.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough

Chris -

You can't possibly know how much it helps to hear your words of encouragement. Thank you.

I wasn't certain that keeping their passports was positive. Of course, they could send it back via DHL with no visa, but WOULD they? That was the question.

The only evidence I have at this time is the DHL tracking document which states that it was signed for at the embassy by an individual with a Russian surname.

My wife took to her interview dozens of photos, what I call "in-front-of" photos; the two of us in-front-of the Grand Canyon, in-front-of my mom's home in Sun City West, AZ, in-front-of sculptures in a sculpture park near my home, in-front-of my home, in-front-of my mom's china cabinet in her home, in-front-of beautiful rivers and rock formations in the Rocky Mountains, taken while on the many picnics we went on while we were dating, in-front-of my bookcases, etc. - you get the idea, dozens of letters and cards, hundreds of email messages, ad nauseam. Unfortunately, the ConOff didn't ask to see ANY of it. We have nothing of the type you mentioned because of the timing of our wedding. If they were looking for proof of our relationship, she had it with her at the interview, in spades. He didn't want to see it. All of the stuff you mentioned can be produced within weeks of my wife and stepdaughter arriving, for the AoS interview.

Again, thank you for helping me to maintain the positive attitude that is so necessary for going on when things aren't going as well as they might be.

Wishing you and yours a very pleasant holiday season.

Richard III

Originally posted by cafisher03
I can't say with gospel authority, but I take that as a very good sign that they kept the passport. I have heard of others that have had difficulties, such as missing documents, where they were actually given a new interview date and their passport was handed back to them. When Alina had her interview last week, we both felt a lot of pity for one woman that had her police certificate, but it did not contain her maiden name. She was given back her passport and told to come again another day. Sure, I understand that they could send via DHL with no visa, but I have not heard or read of this happening in my short time in this process.
What was response from consulate when you verified receipt? Just "Yes, we have it."
What type of evidence did you submit to prove your relationship? Just the normal requirements for a K1 or K3? Did you submit anything that reflected both your name and your wife's name, ie electric bill, checking account, mortgage? I read you got married at the end of her visa, so you probably did not get a chance to do this. Maybe they just wanted more proof that this was not a marriage of convenience. I guess they think that you would not have her on your insurance if you were just helping her stay in America.
I am sure you will get approval soon. Hope you both see that light at the end of the tunnel very soon!

Chris
Old Dec 7th 2003, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough

Patty -

Originally posted by Khadija

... do I "rock the boat" by sending in a pleading letter? As one of my colleagues put it, wouldn't that be a bit of overkill? Maybe you should just see what happens and then send letters if you need to.
Precisely - based upon the feedback I am receiving, I think I should give it another week or so before I freak out, set my hair on fire, and run, screaming, down the corridor. I think a "pleading" letter would be beyond my capabilities anyway, I am doing my best to maintain my dignity ;^).

I suppose they pride themselves on being immune to emotional pleas.
Newsflash headline, THEY HAVE HEARD IT ALL BEFORE - HUNDREDS OF TIMES. The point is, they become hardened to emotional pleas and are suspicious beyond your wildest imagination. They make hardened homicide detectives look like Pollyanna.

To write or not to write...that is the question!
Isn't it the truth? I think it is important to examine all the facts in the cold light of day, then make the best decision you can, based on the evidence. I am analytical, by predisposition, training and profession. It's hard to put all that in the closet and close the door.

Richard III
Old Dec 7th 2003, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jg -

Hi buddy, how are things going for you? I take your point, thanks for your perspective. I am going to give them a chance to respond, in a reasonable time, before doing much else. You know why I am gun-shy of giving the DoS too much time, the last time I did I got burned and it cost us six months for what should have been over in one. Wishing you and yours a very pleasant holiday season.

Richard III

Originally posted by jg1012002
Richard,

I would wait and see what they do next -- since they have the insurance papers now. The fact they kept the passport is a very good sign -- if they were thinking of actually denying it permanently they would not have kept the passports.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

jg1012002 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband came the week before Thanksgiving and I have never been happier. I'm so glad that we are over the hurdle and just enjoying loving each other ------- the way it was meant to be.

I know firsthand they will do anything to prevent people from being together but at long last when you are laying together, holding each other, you know it was worth the fight you put up!

Good luck and keep me posted on how it goes!

Originally posted by Richard III
jg -

Hi buddy, how are things going for you? I take your point, thanks for your perspective. I am going to give them a chance to respond, in a reasonable time, before doing much else. You know why I am gun-shy of giving the DoS too much time, the last time I did I got burned and it cost us six months for what should have been over in one. Wishing you and yours a very pleasant holiday season.

Richard III
Old Dec 8th 2003, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

jg -

I am happy for you, I know it was a long, hard grind for you. I guess it is for me too. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing how good it'll be when it's over. I've lived a lifetime during the last 14 months.

You know that I don't believe in luck. I believe luck is when opportunity meets preparedness. You helped me become more prepared when I really needed it. Thanks. I'll keep you up to date on how things go. All the very best of everything to you and yours. Take care of yourself.

Richard III

Originally posted by jg1012002
My husband came the week before Thanksgiving and I have never been happier. I'm so glad that we are over the hurdle and just enjoying loving each other ------- the way it was meant to be.

I know firsthand they will do anything to prevent people from being together but at long last when you are laying together, holding each other, you know it was worth the fight you put up!

Good luck and keep me posted on how it goes!
Old Dec 8th 2003, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Kocourkov is an unknown quantity at this point

You could send a confident yet helpful note saying that you thought DHL had delivered everything, but that an evil service rep on this end can't give you the verification information of the delivery of the information which they requested.

Maybe offer to resend by FedEx (or another non-DHL company). That might allow them a face-saving way of giving a response while not making a 'me versus you' argument. (Save that for later.)

J. Vlach, Amsterdam