Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can one start the GC process before H1B..

Can one start the GC process before H1B..

Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

blue_harbor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can one start the GC process before H1B..

Hi Everyone,

I follow this forum regularly and this is my first post & would appreciate any help with my question.

I'm a British national currently working in USA with a multinational company on L1 A visa. Green card processing from company may not be possible, hence planning to file for H1B in this year

1. I came to know that 'Green card processing can start before H1b-filing' as one of the consultants advised me.

a. I would like to know if this is a possibility as I want to go for this
option to save time on GC process.

b. Could anyone share their experience, thoughts or any drawbacks
with this approach "Start GC process before H1B filing, and apply
for H1B in this year quota"

c. & could anyone suggest Attorneys who has experience with H1B
filing, GC process for British nationals.

Any advice on the above would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can one start the GC process before H1B..

a. Yes. They are completely independent and separate processes.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blue_harbor
Hi Everyone,

I follow this forum regularly and this is my first post & would appreciate any help with my question.

I'm a British national currently working in USA with a multinational company on L1 A visa. Green card processing from company may not be possible, hence planning to file for H1B in this year

1. I came to know that 'Green card processing can start before H1b-filing' as one of the consultants advised me.

a. I would like to know if this is a possibility as I want to go for this
option to save time on GC process.

b. Could anyone share their experience, thoughts or any drawbacks
with this approach "Start GC process before H1B filing, and apply
for H1B in this year quota"

c. & could anyone suggest Attorneys who has experience with H1B
filing, GC process for British nationals.

Any advice on the above would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
I don't understand. You are currently on a L-1A visa but changing to a H-1B visa. Are you changing jobs to a new company that will apply for a H-1B visa and sponsor you for a green card? If so, that company will need to start the green card process.

If you are staying with the same company, the company must be willing to sponsor you for the green card.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 21st 2013 at 10:00 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

blue_harbor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michael
I don't understand. You are currently on a L-1A visa but changing to a H-1B visa. Are you changing jobs to a new company that will apply for a H-1B visa and sponsor you for a green card? If so, that company will need to start the green card process.

If you are staying with the same company, the company must be willing to sponsor you for the green card.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm planning to change job and get the H1B and GC done by a consulting
company.

The consultant company advised me that they can start processing GC and then apply for H1B & would like to know if anyone has followed this approach before and looking for some advice.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you are "planning" to change jobs, surely the H1B must be applied for by the company you are joining, not a third party consulting company.

Until such time as you have obtained the job and the necessary H1B, how can a third party consulting company start the Green card application for you.

The Green card is the next step following your work visa. If you don't have the necessary work visa yet (H1B) how does a third party have all the information regarding job position, responsibilities, employment category?

When I went for my Green card the company lawyer who had been instrumental in my L-1A application did all the necessary work for the Green card application.

Personally, I don't know how a third party would have been able to do it.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm planning to change job and get the H1B and GC done by a consulting company.
The phrase "consulting company" makes me nervous. Is this "consulting company" a qualified immigration attorney? Is it an immigration law firm that the H1B sponsor uses?

The consultant company advised me that they can start processing GC and then apply for H1B & would like to know if anyone has followed this approach before and looking for some advice.
I personally have not seen it done in that order. I've seen it done the other way around...H1B, then green card process.

Rene
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The phrase "consulting company" makes me nervous. Is this "consulting company" a qualified immigration attorney? Is it an immigration law firm that the H1B sponsor uses?

I personally have not seen it done in that order. I've seen it done the other way around...H1B, then green card process.

Rene
Consulting companies are the top 10 users of H-1B visas. Some are Indian outsourcing companies and some are American or European consulting companies. If it is a non Indian company such as Price Waterhouse Coopers or Deloitte Consulting, I doubt there would be much problems getting everything worked out correctly. On the other hand, Indian outsourcing companies are on the radar screen by USCIS.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 21st 2013 at 11:10 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The consultant company advised me that they can start processing GC and then apply for H1B...
I'm pretty sure they lied to you. Whatever else you do, don't give them any money.

Ian
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Consulting companies are the top 10 users of H-1B visas. Some are Indian outsourcing companies and some are American or European consulting companies. If it is a non Indian company such as Price Waterhouse Coopers or Deloitte Consulting, I doubt there would be much problems getting everything worked out correctly.
..... but how do you apply for a Green card when the applicant does not have the relevant work visa yet
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
..... but how do you apply for a Green card when the applicant does not have the relevant work visa yet
That is the issue that I don't know. Maybe he can start a direct EB1(c) visa which doesn't require another visa or sponsor but at the same time that the company applies for a H-1B visa.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 21st 2013 at 11:21 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

None of the employment immigrant categories (EB-1x, EB-2, EB-3) require the beneficiary to be on any kind of work visa (H-1B, L-1 etc). The beneficiary often does happen to have a nonimmigrant work visa, but that's coincidental.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by henryh
None of the employment immigrant categories (EB-1x, EB-2, EB-3) require the beneficiary to be on any kind of work visa (H-1B, L-1 etc). The beneficiary often does happen to have a nonimmigrant work visa, but that's coincidental.
That is what I was thinking but it is probably messier. He may possibly have to leave the US to get the medical, interview, and visa.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That is what I was thinking but it is probably messier. He may possibly have to leave the US to get the medical, interview, and visa.
Why?

I think you are trying to confuse two separate issues.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
Why?

I think you are trying to confuse two separate issues.
Well I assumed when one is done though a company sponsor, it is similar to an Adjustment of Status going from non immigrant status to an immigrant status which is all done within the US. Doing a direct filing for an EB visa is not an Adjustment of Status but applying for an immigrant visa.

Maybe there isn't any similarity to marriage based visas and Adjustment of Status but I assumed that USCIS might have some sort of consistency in the way they do things.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I assumed when one is done though a company sponsor, it is similar to an Adjustment of Status going from non immigrant status to an immigrant status which is all done within the US. Doing a direct filing for an EB visa is not an Adjustment of Status but applying for an immigrant visa.

Maybe there isn't any similarity to marriage based visas and Adjustment of Status but I assumed that USCIS might have some sort of consistency in the way they do things.
There is not usually an issue adjusting status in country as long as one has a status to adjust from.

Both H and L are dual intent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.