Can I work here?

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 5:07 pm
Chris

Hi,

I have a little problem. Please can somebody help me with it... I have a American
boyfriend and we have been together for a year. We want to move together, but the problem
is that I am from Denmark and can't stay without a visa. We are going to get engaged
within a month and planning to get married in two years. So I want to know if it is
possible for me to stay and work in the US during the time we are engaged? If not can I do
it an other way?

Please help me.

Nina

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 5:26 pm
Andy Platt

There is no way for a fiance(e) of a US citizen to stay more than 90 days before getting
married (and that's with a specific type of visa designed for that purpose). You will need
to investigate whether some work visa you can obtain on your own merits will work. The
primary visa is an H-1B which requires an employer to sponsor you. The general
requirements are:

a) You must have a bachelor's degree (or higher) in a related field to the job. Relevant
experience can be substituted at the rate of 3 years experience to each missing
"academic" year (based on a US program of four years).
b) The employer cannot fill this job with eligible Americans (or permanent residents) -
usually this is done by evaluating the job against a set of standards rather than
needing to show you have advertized.
c) The employer files an I-129 for you; when that gets approved you get a visa (for up to
three years) to work for that specified employer.

alt.visa.us deals with such visas.

The advantage of an H-1B is that it's "dual-intent" which means there isn't a problem
getting it even though your eventual goal is to marry your fiance(e) and remain here
permanently.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> Hi,
>
> I have a little problem. Please can somebody help me with it... I have a American
> boyfriend and we have been together for a year. We want
to
> move together, but the problem is that I am from Denmark and can't stay without a visa.
> We are going to get engaged within a month and planning to get married in two years. So
> I want to know if it is possible for me to
stay
> and work in the US during the time we are engaged? If not can I do it an other way?
>
> Please help me.
>
> Nina

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 5:40 pm
Rita

Nina

Unfortunately you cannot move to the US and work without a visa of some sort. Since you
are going to be living with your boyfriend who is a US Citizen, you can get married there
and have him apply for your permanent residency into the US at the US Consulate via form
I-130. This is the most expedient way for you to come to the US and have the right to work
and remain here.

There is another way and that is if you have a degree in a specialized field, i.e.
computers, and can get a sponsor for an H-1B work visa.

If you were to go to school on a F-1 visa, you would only be allowed to work in the school
itself and not in an outside job. (If I am wrong about this I will be corrected.)

Rita

----------
This message was composed at http://www.editnews.com

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 6:17 pm
Alvena Ferreira

> I have a little problem. Please can somebody help me with it... I have a American
> boyfriend and we have been together for a year. We want to move together, but the
> problem is that I am from Denmark and can't stay without a visa. We are going to get
> engaged within a month and planning to get married in two years. So I want to know if it
> is possible for me to stay and work in the US during the time we are engaged? If not can
> I do it an other way? Nina

Be aware that if you were ready to marry now, you could marry in the US or in Denmark and
both go to Denmark and file directly with that consulate for a spousal visa...you could be
back in the US as a conditional permanent resident, complete with work and travel
authorization in about one month or less! See this URL for more complete information:
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/dcf.html

alvena