Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can I move back to the UK and get dual citizenship?

Can I move back to the UK and get dual citizenship?

Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:42 am
Just Joined

rachaelmanx is on a distinguished road
Question Can I move back to the UK and get dual citizenship?

I was born in 1975 on the Isle of Man. My parents were not married. My Dad was born on the Isle of Man. My Mom was born on a US Navy base to a British Mother and an American Father.My Mom grew up in England but moved to the US in 1979 at the age of 26. I became a Naturalized US citizen at 8. I had no idea at 8 what I was doing. I would like to know if:

A) Am I allowed to become a dual citizen or have the right to love/work in the UK. Or possibly get a National Insurance number and come and go on the US passport?I am interested in possibly opening a business and would like to keep everything above board. Dad did not sign my birth certificate even though I have tons of cards/letters from him. We are not currently speaking.

B) My Mom grew up from 1954-1979 in England, has a National Insurance number, graduated secondary school there, and was married there but her parents never naturalized her/made her a citizen to the best of my knowledge. I don't understand that part. How could she have stayed 25 years woithout being naturalized or a citizen??

I appreciate all your help. Feel free to email me at <<snip>> with any help/advice. THANKS SO MUCH

Last edited by Sue; Jul 12th 2008 at 7:01 pm. Reason: Email address removed for privacy. Its not wise to post your personal contact details on a public forum.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 4:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I move back to the UK and get dual citizenship?

Answers to your questions:

A. Because of your birth in the Isle of Man in 1975, you are a British citizen. You just need to apply for a British passport.

When you apply for your passport, make sure you show that one of your grandparents was born in the United Kingdom itself (England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland). The reason for this is that those British citizens solely connected with the Isle of Man are not eligible to live in other European countries unless they first live for 5 years in the U.K.

B. When you say your mother was born on a U.S. Navy base, where was this base? In Britain? Or somewhere else?

Have you got any U.S. born children of your own?
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

HELLO JAJ
Thank you so much for your response. You have answered a question that I have spent hours on the phone and internet trying to solve. Again, thank you!thank you!thank you!!!!!

Regarding my Mother:

Born in 1952 on a US Navy base in Norfolk, Virginia. Grandmother British by birth and still British. Grandfather American but has lived and worked in the UK for over 40 years. My Mother returned to the UK when she was 1 year old on her older sisters American passport. She grew up in England, went to school there, worked there, and has a National Insurance number with her Maiden name in her possession. She got married at 26 to someone from another country and applied to come to the US through her US birth certificate,flew out on a US passport and has been here since 1979 even though she has the bulk of her family in the UK and has been home many times to visit. She is now divorced and would like to return to the UK on a dual citizenship. She never got naturalized here or took an oath. Soemone said that she shoudl get naturalized here in the US first and then apply for citizenship there but I think she is already either a citizen there or "registered" there because she has a National Insurance number and worked for over 10 years there. Is it possible to become a dual citizen? Or, looking at the right to abode visa for 5 years she seems to meet the requirements where it says "How do I know if I am a British citizen with the right of abode?
""""You will have become a British citizen on 1 January 1983 (when the British Nationality Act 1981 came into force) and will have the right of abode in the United Kingdom if, immediately before that date, any of the following applied to you.
You were a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies because you were born, adopted, naturalised (that is, you were given a 'certificate of naturalisation') or registered in the United Kingdom."""
She would prefer the dual citizenship. Thanks again for all your help. God Bless
Also, for all your help would it be ok if I sent you a thank you card and a little something. This has been so stressful for my Mom and I and you really know your stuff. Thanks so much for everything

Last edited by rachaelmanx; Jul 12th 2008 at 6:39 pm. Reason: Would like JAJ to respond please.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 6:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachaelmanx
HELLO
Thank you so much for your response. You have answered a question that I have spent hours on the phone and internet trying to solve. Again, thank you!thank you!thank you!!!!!

Regarding my Mother:

Born in 1952 on a US Navy base in Norfolk, Virginia. Grandmother British by birth and still British. Grandfather American but has lived and worked in the UK for over 40 years. My Mother returned to the UK when she was 1 year old on her older sisters American passport. She grew up in England, went to school there, worked there, and has a National Insurance number with her Maiden name in her possession. She got married at 26 to someone from another country and applied to come to the US through her US birth certificate,flew out on a US passport and has been here since 1979 even though she has the bulk of her family in the UK and has been home many times to visit. She is now divorced and would like to return to the UK on a dual citizenship. She never got naturalized here or took an oath. Soemone said that she shoudl get naturalized here in the US first and then apply for citizenship there but I think she is already either a citizen there or "registered" there because she has a National Insurance number and worked for over 10 years there. Is it possible to become a dual citizen? Or, looking at the right to abode visa for 5 years she seems to meet the requirements where it says "How do I know if I am a British citizen with the right of abode?
""""You will have become a British citizen on 1 January 1983 (when the British Nationality Act 1981 came into force) and will have the right of abode in the United Kingdom if, immediately before that date, any of the following applied to you.
You were a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies because you were born, adopted, naturalised (that is, you were given a 'certificate of naturalisation') or registered in the United Kingdom."""
She would prefer the dual citizenship. Thanks again for all your help. God Bless
Also, for all your help would it be ok if I sent you a thank you card and a little something. This has been so stressful for my Mom and I and you really know your stuff. Thanks so much for everything
It is not a good idea to give your internet address on a public forum (see Site Rules)...perhaps you would like to remove it from your previous post.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Sorry.I did not know that. Could you tell me how to do that?
Old Jul 12th 2008, 6:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry.I did not know that. Could you tell me how to do that?
At the bottom right hand side of your first post are some blue boxes. The first is an edit button...click on this and you can enter your post within 2 hrs of posting. Then just delete the email address...then click on save.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

It was posted over 2 hours ago. I am in the US. Their is no edit button there.Please forgive the email. I will not do it again.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 6:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It was posted over 2 hours ago. I am in the US. Their is no edit button there.Please forgive the email. I will not do it again.
So it was....I'll try to get it deleted for you. It's no problem...it's for your own security that's all. BTW welcome to BE.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much. I understand and appreciate you deleting the email address. This is such a wonderful website.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

HELLO JAJ

Regarding my Mother:

If your mother was admitted to the United Kingdom as an immigrant in 1954 and remained there until 1979 without becoming a citizen (many people did this) then her status as a United Kingdom resident is gone. She could investigate whether she could get it back by meeting the requirements for returning resident entry clearance at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk but after almost 30 years it might be difficult. If she was admitted as a tourist and just overstayed, there is even less hope.

As she did not naturalise as a British citizen when she lived there, the only two ways she could be British are:

- if her own father became a U.K. citizen before she was born. Probably unlikely, as at the time the United States was not keen on allowing dual citizenship; or

- if she was registered as a British citizen as a child. Maybe make a Subject Access request to the Home Office Nationality Directorate to see if they have her on their files (they must respond) but obviously this may draw a blank.

She is an American citizen by birth in the United States so never needed to do anything to become an American.

Her British born mother does not make her British as prior to 1983, British nationality could normally only be transmitted through the father. There is a facility to make a late application for registration but this only applies to those born on or after 8 February 1961.

The fact she has a National Insurance number does not prove she is a British citizen, as foreigners legally admitted to the U.K. also have them.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

JAJ, Thank you for that. Could you apply on the Right to Abode visa or Ancestry Visa as her Mom was born there and is still a British citizen and her grandparents were British.It says in the above message that "if you were registered" you have a right to abode. Also, may I ask how you know so much about these situations? Were you or are you an immigration attorney? Thanks so much.

Last edited by rachaelmanx; Jul 12th 2008 at 7:50 pm. Reason: Add Info
Old Jul 12th 2008, 10:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ, Thank you for that. Could you apply on the Right to Abode visa or Ancestry Visa as her Mom was born there and is still a British citizen and her grandparents were British.It says in the above message that "if you were registered" you have a right to abode.
"Registration" in the context of British citizenship just means a simplified form of naturalisation. Prior to 1983, those from Commonwealth countries became British by registration rather than naturalisation. Even now, registration applies to children and certain other cases.

If your mother was Canadian or a citizen of another Commonwealth country (and had been so since 1983), then she would have Right of Abode based on her own mother. However, this does not apply to U.S. citizens.

Similarly, the Ancestry Visa is only available to citizens of Commonwealth countries.

Sorry I don't have any better news.

Last edited by JAJ; Jul 12th 2008 at 10:15 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Please Read Below. I got one answer and now this is a different answer. Is it worth spending the almost $300 for a passport??? HELP

Racheal, Prior to 1983, as a general rule, British nationality could only be transmitted from the father through one generation only, and parents were required to be married. With effect from 30 April 2003, a person born outside the UK to a British mother may be entitled to register as a British citizen by descent if that person was born between 8 February 1961 and 31 December 1982. However those with permanent resident status in the UK, or entitled to Right of Abode, may instead prefer to seek naturalisation as a British citizen which gives transmissible British citizenship otherwise than by descent. Requirements for successful registration are that the applicant be of good character and attend a citizenship ceremony. An unmarried father cannot pass on British citizenship automatically in the case of children born before 1 July 2006. Although, if the parents marry subsequent to the birth, the child normally will become a British citizen at that point if legitimated by the marriage and the father was eligible to pass on British citizenship. If you had applied previous to age 18, you could have had citizenship if your parents had ever married. You didn't say how long you lived in the UK after birth. If you had lived here until age 10, you will be able to automatically apply for citizenship. If your mother is British, get her to get her passport (at the UK embassy, not the US embassy) and then you may be able to apply after living in the UK for 5 years. You have some very difficult challenges to getting citizenship. With your parents NOT married, this adds a complication. You say your mother is British, but she holds an American passport? If she had a British passport, this would be easier, but you haven't noted that as the case. We don't know how long you lived in the UK, so this adds another complication. What passport do you hold today? You have so many challenges that you may wish to speak to an immigration lawyer. You do not have a clear cut case to walk in and apply for citizenship. We'd want to make certain that you have all of your i's dotted and t's crossed before you start making any application.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:12 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was born in 1975 on the Isle of Man. My parents were not married. My Dad was born on the Isle of Man. My Mom was born on a US Navy base to a British Mother and an American Father.My Mom grew up in England but moved to the US in 1979 at the age of 26. I became a Naturalized US citizen at 8. I had no idea at 8 what I was doing. I would like to know if:

A) Am I allowed to become a dual citizen or have the right to love/work in the UK. Or possibly get a National Insurance number and come and go on the US passport?I am interested in possibly opening a business and would like to keep everything above board. Dad did not sign my birth certificate even though I have tons of cards/letters from him. We are not currently speaking.

B) My Mom grew up from 1954-1979 in England, has a National Insurance number, graduated secondary school there, and was married there but her parents never naturalized her/made her a citizen to the best of my knowledge. I don't understand that part. How could she have stayed 25 years woithout being naturalized or a citizen??

I appreciate all your help. Feel free to email me at <<snip>> with any help/advice. THANKS SO MUCH
You're a Manxy Minx then....
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:31 am
JAJ
Retired

Please Read Below. I got one answer and now this is a different answer. Is it worth spending the almost $300 for a passport??? HELP

Racheal, Prior to 1983, as a general rule, British nationality could only be transmitted from the father through one generation only, and parents were required to be married. With effect from 30 April 2003, a person born outside the UK to a British mother may be entitled to register as a British citizen by descent if that person was born between 8 February 1961 and 31 December 1982. However those with permanent resident status in the UK, or entitled to Right of Abode, may instead prefer to seek naturalisation as a British citizen which gives transmissible British citizenship otherwise than by descent. Requirements for successful registration are that the applicant be of good character and attend a citizenship ceremony. An unmarried father cannot pass on British citizenship automatically in the case of children born before 1 July 2006. Although, if the parents marry subsequent to the birth, the child normally will become a British citizen at that point if legitimated by the marriage and the father was eligible to pass on British citizenship. If you had applied previous to age 18, you could have had citizenship if your parents had ever married. You didn't say how long you lived in the UK after birth. If you had lived here until age 10, you will be able to automatically apply for citizenship. If your mother is British, get her to get her passport (at the UK embassy, not the US embassy) and then you may be able to apply after living in the UK for 5 years. You have some very difficult challenges to getting citizenship. With your parents NOT married, this adds a complication. You say your mother is British, but she holds an American passport? If she had a British passport, this would be easier, but you haven't noted that as the case. We don't know how long you lived in the UK, so this adds another complication. What passport do you hold today? You have so many challenges that you may wish to speak to an immigration lawyer. You do not have a clear cut case to walk in and apply for citizenship. We'd want to make certain that you have all of your i's dotted and t's crossed before you start making any application.

Who gave you this information? None of it is invalid but it refers to people born outside the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man.

You were born in the Isle of Man, which is part of the U.K. for nationality purposes.

Once again. Anyone born in the U.K. before 1983, except children of diplomats and "enemy aliens" is automatically a British citizen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.