Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can I ever visit the USA or I am permanently banned?

Can I ever visit the USA or I am permanently banned?

Old Aug 18th 2015, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

bbb75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I ever visit the USA or I am permanently banned?

Hi, this is a great forum, finally through Freedom of information request, I was able to get my Alien file from the USA and I am wondering if I can ever apply for a visa, as we would love to visit Florida. I am now a British Citizen. This is my story in a nutshell:

I was a F1 student in the USA and applied for asylum in 1997

In 1998 the conditions in my country changed, and I left the USA in 1998

In 1999 I was ordered removed in absentia for failure to appear(1 year after I left the USA)

In my alien file it says I left the country in 1998.

I am including two pics, 1st is charges, and 2nd is the decision.

Am I banned for life or can I apply?
Attached Thumbnails Can I ever visit the USA or I am permanently banned?-charges.jpg   Can I ever visit the USA or I am permanently banned?-removal.jpg  
Old Aug 18th 2015, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I ever visit the USA or I am permanently banned?

The advice given 2 years ago still stands:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im...ptions-796916/

Consult an immigration lawyer. This is way beyond the scope of an Internet forum.

(Oh, and while you're at it, make sure you give a complete & coherent time line with correct dates...)
Old Aug 18th 2015, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Two years ago didn't have the paperwork(just knew was removed) but now got it, and wondered if anybody know what it means as it is written.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bbb75
Two years ago didn't have the paperwork(just knew was removed) but now got it, and wondered if anybody know what it means as it is written.
The advice given 2 years ago still stands.

Consult an immigration lawyer. This is way beyond the scope of an Internet forum.

(Hint: reread SFolinsky's posts).
Old Aug 18th 2015, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... wondered if anybody know what it means as it is written.
They are statements of fact. They don't mean anything other than what they actually say. In the case of the first one, you did not comply with the conditions of your F-1 visa. In the case of the second one, you failed to appear at a hearing and were "removed in absentia".

Am I banned for life or can I apply?
You can always apply for a visa... always!

Ian
Old Aug 18th 2015, 4:06 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

If that was your first removal, it was a 10 year bar. No additional waiver should be required once the 10 years is over. It all comes down to whether or not the Consular Officer feels like issuing you a visa. If you apply, have proof of when you left.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:07 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

It can be fixed. Its a PIA, but it can be fixed.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 4:21 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Don't see much reason for a MTR for spent removal when no waiver is required.... Unless an attorney somewhere wants an new in ground swimming pool of course.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 4:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Trying to remember what could have justified such a claim.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice! Now that it seems that the ban has expired and from what I heard on the forum no waiver is needed, I will probably apply soon for B2 visa. I will share the outcome. I don't have the finances for motion to reopen probably it will costs thousands, though it might be tempting if it would help to be eligible once again for the visa waiver program. I have 2 questions if anyone knows:

1. I understand that since I was removed, I will need to fill VCU-1 form. Do I just fill it and bring it with me on the day of interview, or I submit it before I go for the interview?

If I have to submit it before, how does the process work, what email do I send it to, as I couldn't find info on the consulate website?

2. On the question have you been denied a US visa, I have only an ESTA denial, not a visa denial, is ESTA denial the same as a visa denial?

Once again, thanks and will keep you updated!
Old Aug 20th 2015, 8:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

2. No. ESTA and VWP are not visas.

Rene
Old Aug 20th 2015, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do I just fill it and bring it with me on the day of interview, or I submit it before I go for the interview?
You'll find out when you complete the B-2 application.

... is ESTA denial the same as a visa denial?
No.

Ian
Old Aug 21st 2015, 2:16 am
crg
American Expat

Don't bother with VWP or ESTA ever again. There is next to zero chance of resurrecting that. The program is for simple squeaky clean visitors, not those with complicated alien files.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 12:34 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
Don't see much reason for a MTR for spent removal when no waiver is required.... Unless an attorney somewhere wants an new in ground swimming pool of course.
A lawyer's fee for such an MTR will come nowhere paying for a pool. That said having, a final order of removal is not a good thing to have in one's history. Having the proceedings reopened to rescind the order and terminating the proceedings will reduce the potential mischief.

BTW, it is never safe to assume immigration officers know the law.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Just a little update, got a 10 year visa. Have a few questions?

1. I had to prove when I left the usa to the embassy, (more than 10 years ago, so ban has expired). Does that mean that CBP also doesn't know when I left the USA, and have to prove that to them when I arrive?

2. Is it a good idea to bring letter of employment when I arrive? (We plan two weeks holiday to Orlando)

3. Is Orlando a bad choice for secondary, or should we fly through JFK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.