Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can I call and request an interview appointment?

Can I call and request an interview appointment?

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:10 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I call and request an interview appointment?

Originally Posted by robUK81
My USC wife filed through a US lockbox and we have just had our I-130 approved. Obviously we are now waiting to hear from the NVC which I understand takes an average of 4-6 weeks if going well.

Does that mean that I should wait for an interview date after filing forms DS-230 part I and DS-2001 then book my medical in advance of the interview date?

Thanks
Rob
Rob, do lockbox filers need to file DS-2001, or is that just for direct consular filers?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

robUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by civilservant
You should get a case number within a couple of weeks. Certainly not 6-8! Ours was approved 20/03, case number was given 8/04.

After you have the case number from NVC you are free to book your medical, bearing in mind the visa will only be valid for 6 months after said medical.

Incidentally Rob, what part of Somerset you from? I'm in Taunton
Yeah sorry I think I must of read that the whole NVC process takes that long. But Having a case number in 2 weeks is good only I may need to delay a little as I've been working on a Oct/Nov move and it's my understanding that the visa is valid 6mths from the date of the medical.

Hahaha I'm in Taunton too
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

robUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Rob, do lockbox filers need to file DS-2001, or is that just for direct consular filers?
I'm not actually sure. I am more likely completely wrong
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:17 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Only DCF Speedwell, since NVC books the interview rather than the Consulate

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 22nd 2013 at 6:20 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Only DCF Speedwell, since NVC books the medical rather than the Consulate
The medical or the interview?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

sarah2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Call the consulate
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:20 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The medical or the interview?
Interview
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:25 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Only DCF Speedwell, since NVC books the interview rather than the Consulate
Thanks, CS, no part of the process confuses me more than the difference between the two sorts of filing.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:11 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You won't be submitting DS-2001.

Regards, JEff

My USC wife filed through a US lockbox and we have just had our I-130 approved. Obviously we are now waiting to hear from the NVC ...

Does that mean that I should wait for an interview date after filing forms DS-230 part I and DS-2001 then book my medical in advance of the interview date?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
You won't be submitting DS-2001.

Regards, JEff
Thanks JEff
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:27 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah2011
Booking tickets aint a good idea period til uve had interview
Actually booking tickets isn't a good idea until you have your passport back with the visa in it.

There are some who had done what you suggest and their passport and visa hasn't come back from the Embassy in time. There have been instances of the passport and visa not being received for 3 weeks or more after the interview.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

The usual advice not to book tickets until after a successful interview seems to ignore the fact that waiting until shortly before you travel to book tickets results in much higher ticket prices. It also ignores the fact that tickets can usually be changed with minimal fees.

The calculation of the expected cost incurred given the aforementioned costs, the probability of successful interview, and the probability distribution of processing times is left as an exercise for the reader. But I feel that in most cases it favours booking tickets ahead of time. Of course, there are no guarantees.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:04 am
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by henryh
The usual advice not to book tickets until after a successful interview seems to ignore the fact that waiting until shortly before you travel to book tickets results in much higher ticket prices. It also ignores the fact that tickets can usually be changed with minimal fees.

The calculation of the expected cost incurred given the aforementioned costs, the probability of successful interview, and the probability distribution of processing times is left as an exercise for the reader. But I feel that in most cases it favours booking tickets ahead of time. Of course, there are no guarantees.
The cost of a nonrefundable ticket plus the change fees plus the fare difference at the time of the change is often less than the cost of a refundable ticket that can be changed without fees. The company I work for prefers that you buy the nonrefundable ticket and pay the change fee if necessary, to save them travel money over the long term and multiple tickets. The fees to change are not minimal, though.they can run a few hundred dollars or more once you take into account that you're also charged the difference in fare between the two tickets.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

wuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nice

I read through this thread with interest because we have also booked our flight to the US and wanted some info.

The medical forms etc. were there at the Embassy IVB, they had received but not processed the DS-2001 yet. We were told that from date of receipt it can take up to 6 weeks to process. We leave in 4 weeks.

So, we asked what happens if we don't respond to the letter (you know, because we'll be away), operator said they close the file. Not good. The operator then said we should call every week just in case they send the letter with the interview date - so calling from the US every week will be 10 weeks x $20!

We know we can visit the US as my hubby (UKC) has an ESTA, and we just won't make any moves to close down and sell up etc. in the UK - whereas we would have made those moves if we'd gotten the visa. Shame really, but we'll roll with the punches, as they say and do what we can.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

syed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the rough

Just from my experience

I had a succesful interview with everything approved only 2 weeks later to be advised that my case is in additional administrative processing and here I am 7 weeks later. I would suggest not to book anything until you have your passport and visa in hand.

I was lucky enough to have a fully flexible tickets which I have changed 4 times already at no cost.

On my forms and cover letter I had put down travel date of 1st April but for me that never helped. Maybe it might make a difference for you as each case is different.

My forms were received by the consulate on 29th Jan 2013 I was given written confirmation of my interview on 25th Feb with an interview date of 13th March

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.