Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can I Ask for Extension of Immigrant Visa?

Can I Ask for Extension of Immigrant Visa?

Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

houma2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I Ask for Extension of Immigrant Visa?

Hi everyone!!!

We anticipate our interview will be scheduled next month. This means that if the visa is issued within October 2010, we would have to travel to the US by April 2011, given that the visa is only valid for 6 months.

We would like to travel either in June or July 2011 not to interrupt my kid's schooling. How can I get to achieve this target in the event that our interview is scheduled as stated above?

Can we request the Consular to extend the validity of the visa to say eight months?

Can we ask for a reschedule of the interview?
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I Ask for Extension of Immigrant Visa?

Originally Posted by houma2002
Hi everyone!!!

We anticipate our interview will be scheduled next month. This means that if the visa is issued within October 2010, we would have to travel to the US by April 2011, given that the visa is only valid for 6 months.

We would like to travel either in June or July 2011 not to interrupt my kid's schooling. How can I get to achieve this target in the event that our interview is scheduled as stated above?

Can we request the Consular to extend the validity of the visa to say eight months?

Insufficient information to hazard even a vague guess.

Which visa?
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:06 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including the USA can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

I can't answer your question directly but I'm sure someone will be along to help soon. (They've started already!)

Alistair.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit

Which visa?
It is an immigrant visa.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Which visa?
The OP's thread title says Immigrant Visa.

Rene
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Hi there and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including the USA can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

I can't answer your question directly but I'm sure someone will be along to help soon. (They've started already!)

Alistair.
Thank you and look forward to any valuable response
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by houma2002
Hi everyone!!!

It's better to ask for an interview date a few months later, rather than try to extend the validity of the visa once it's issued. I don't think they will do that.

Write to the consulate now, and ask for an interview date during the month you want it (January 2011, for example). If they still give you a date in October, write again and ask for one in January instead. If you do not receive a rescheduled interview date by October, then most definitely go to your scheduled date in October and leave before that visa expires.

Rene
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's better to ask for an interview date a few months later, rather than try to extend the validity of the visa once it's issued. I don't think they will do that.

Write to the consulate now, and ask for an interview date during the month you want it (January 2011, for example). If they still give you a date in October, write again and ask for one in January instead. If you do not receive a rescheduled interview date by October, then most definitely go to your scheduled date in October and leave before that visa expires.

Rene
Thanks Rene, that is a very good advise.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The OP's thread title says Immigrant Visa.

Rene
If it's a diversity visa, they need it issued before the end of the federal fiscal year. If it's a family-based sponsorship, for example, it doesn't matter. Facts are important!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:47 pm

If it's a diversity visa, they need it issued before the end of the federal fiscal year. If it's a family-based sponsorship, for example, it doesn't matter. Facts are important!
Ah, thanks...I didn't realize that about the diversity visa.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:49 pm
Septicity

Ah, thanks...I didn't realize that about the diversity visa.
The other issue with delaying on the diversity visa is that they may run out of numbers before they get to you. Best not to delay in that case.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 5:15 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really want to mess around with trying to delay the process?

They will not extend the validity to eight months.

Get the visa. Make a trip to the US to activate it and be admitted as a Permanent Resident. Travel right back to your country to settle your affairs and let the kids finish school. Move in as soon as you can.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:38 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my query and truly for the great and valuable advise.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

evinasia is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so pleased I had read this posting as I am in exactly the same position. Immigrant visa interview offered for myself and 2 sons for mid October. But youngest is in the last year of A levels so don't really want to disrupt this and move before May 2011. We intend to go to USA to visit at Xmas and also easter so have taken onboard advice and will activate green card and then move lock and barrel next year in June. I was getting in a panic about this as do not want to delay interview any longer.....have waited long enough and was hopeful that it would have all happened before now, hence why son has gone back into college for another year.

Has anyone actually had this experience before? And are there any restrictions apart from activated visa on POE within 6 month period? I want to stay within rules but also allow son to finish his last year at college.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

seawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really nice

Originally Posted by evinasia
I am so pleased I had read this posting as I am in exactly the same position. Immigrant visa interview offered for myself and 2 sons for mid October. But youngest is in the last year of A levels so don't really want to disrupt this and move before May 2011. We intend to go to USA to visit at Xmas and also easter so have taken onboard advice and will activate green card and then move lock and barrel next year in June. I was getting in a panic about this as do not want to delay interview any longer.....have waited long enough and was hopeful that it would have all happened before now, hence why son has gone back into college for another year.

Has anyone actually had this experience before? And are there any restrictions apart from activated visa on POE within 6 month period? I want to stay within rules but also allow son to finish his last year at college.

I did this couple of years ago - came with my USC husband for a visit (2 weeks) to activate the visa and then went back to my home country where he was deployed and I was still working. Close to six months later we moved officially to the US - no questions asked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.