Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can employer health insurance cover AOS medical?

Can employer health insurance cover AOS medical?

Old Jun 21st 2002, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

kjdrga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can employer health insurance cover AOS medical?

I know this is probably a question for my medical insurance carrier, but what has been the experience of people on this boards having some or all of the required AOS medical covered by a health insurance policy? Does it depend of whether the doctor is in the plan? I am particularly interested in PPO plans. Thanks
Old Jun 21st 2002, 9:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can employer health insurance cover AOS medical?

That would depend on the medical doctor's office practice. If you have a healthcare program, i.e. Blue Cross, and his office accepts this as payment for a medical exam, chances are they will accept your health insurance coverage for all or part of the costs. If, however, you have Oxford and they don't take Oxford, then forget about it.

PPO allow you to go to any doctor which accepts the plan's coverage without the need for a referral from a Primary Doctor. I have a PPO as well. You can also go to any doctor outside of the plan, pay the fee yourself, and then submit the claim for reimbursement if you have that option under your plan (minus any deductible of course).

Also bear in mind, that the medical costs can be deducted from Section 245 plan if your company participates. This plan allows you to designate x amount of money yearly for uncovered medical, dental, visual, etc. expenses. The money is taken from your paycheck on equal installments over the cost of the year. If you don't use it, however, you lose it. So if you think you might need $500 that year and only use $300 you lose the $200 balance.

Rita
Old Jun 21st 2002, 9:20 pm
Steve

I think most plans will not cover a physical for this purpose.Usually they will have
some language spelling out that Physicals other than routine ones (such as for
employment or Insurance) are not covered. But of course check with your insurer. In
our case we did a K-1 and the Physical and shots were done in my fiancée's home
country at her cost.

Good luck! "kjdrga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I know this is probably a question for my medical insurance carrier, but what has
    > been the experience of people on this boards having some or all of the required AOS
    > medical covered by a health insurance policy? Does it depend of whether the doctor
    > is in the plan? I am particularly interested in PPO plans. Thanks
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 21st 2002, 11:20 pm
Michael Voight

Rete wrote:
    >
    > Also bear in mind, that the medical costs can be deducted from Section 245 plan if
    > your company participates. This plan allows you to designate x amount of money
    > yearly for uncovered medical, dental, visual, etc. expenses. The money is taken
    > from your paycheck on equal installments over the cost of the year. If you don't
    > use it, however, you lose it. So if you think you might need $500 that year and
    > only use $300 you lose the $200 balance.

Of course, if you pay 40 percent in taxes, then you broke even