Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can a changed name delay processing?

Can a changed name delay processing?

Old May 7th 2007, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all
Default Can a changed name delay processing?

Just read the other thread on name check and that prompted me to ask a much thought about question.

Is a "hit" the only reason for a name-check delay? What if someone has had multiple names? Can that cause a delay too, for instance in the I-751 adjudication process?

I changed my name recently, and while I don't expect any "hits", I was wondering whether something like that could delay the process, or even raise some red flags, though I have a perfectly valid reason for the change (mispronunciation) - and it is just the last name which changed, not the full name?

Last edited by wildestkabs; May 7th 2007 at 5:41 pm.
Old May 7th 2007, 5:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can a changed name delay processing?

Originally Posted by wildestkabs
Just read the other thread on name check and that prompted me to ask a much thought about question.

Is a "hit" the only reason for a name-check delay? What if someone has had multiple names? Can that cause a delay too, for instance in the I-751 adjudication process?

I changed my name recently, and while I don't expect any "hits", I was wondering whether something like that could delay the process, or even raise some red flags, though I have a perfectly valid reason for the change (mispronunciation) - and it is just the last name which changed, not the full name?
A hit isn't the only thing that can cause a delay, but it's probably the most likely, if the delay is on the security check side. The delay could also be due to USCIS simply not getting the results from the various agencies...or not USCIS being lazy about matching the results to your file.

When you fill out your immigration paperwork, one of the questions asks you to list all other names used. When they do security checks, they check all the names you listed. If you changed your name since then, I'm not sure how they would know to look up your new name.

Rene
Old May 7th 2007, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
When you fill out your immigration paperwork, one of the questions asks you to list all other names used. When they do security checks, they check all the names you listed. If you changed your name since then, I'm not sure how they would know to look up your new name.
Hi Rene, I am a little confused with "if you changed your name since then", as I don't know what time period you are talking about. However, if you mean whether I changed my name after filing the paperwork for the I-751, then no, that is not the case.

I changed my last name a couple of months back, and I have listed my new name in the "Name" section and the old name, in the "other used names" section. I also sent USCIS a certified copy of the court order changing the name, alongwith the rest of the package..

I hope they generate the NOA in the new name, otherwise that, for sure, is going to screw things up.

Last edited by wildestkabs; May 7th 2007 at 7:06 pm.
Old May 7th 2007, 6:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I changed my last name a couple of months back, and I have listed my new name in the "Name" section and the old name, in the "other used names" section.
You did it right. I hope the NOA comes to your new name as well. I assume they will do the checks on all the names you provided.

Rene
Old May 7th 2007, 7:39 pm
-K

On May 7, 12:21 pm, wildestkabs <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > A hit isn't the only thing that can cause a delay, but it's probably
> > the most likely, if the delay is on the security check side. The
> > delay could also be due to USCIS simply not getting the results from
> > the various agencies...or not USCIS being lazy about matching the
> > results to your file.
>
> > When you fill out your immigration paperwork, one of the questions
> > asks you to list all other names used. When they do security checks,
> > they check all the names you listed. If you changed your name since
> > then, I'm not sure how they would know to look up your new name.
>
> > Rene
>
> Hi Rene, I am a little confused with "if you changed your name since
> then", as I don't know what time period you are talking about. However,
> if you mean whether I changed my name after filing the paperwork for the
> I-751, then no, that is not the case.
>
> I changed my last name a couple of months back, and I have listed my
> new name in the "Name" section and the old name, in the "other used
> names" section. I also sent USCIS a certified copy of the court order
> changing the name.
>
> I hope they generate the NOA in the new name, otherwise, that for sure,
> is going to screw things up, alongwith the rest of the package.
>
> --
> Posted viahttp://britishexpats.com

Speaking from personal experience my name check has been pending for
over a year now. I did find though this past thursday May 3rd
(ironically a year from our interview date) that my name check is
still pending but they are now only waiting on my current name. I had
2 other names that they had checked an all was good on those names so
now just waiting for the current name to be checked. I was informed
early by USCIS aswell as several attorneys in my area an the congress
office that I would have "flags" on my name due to been married 2. I
hope this helps you out

Old May 7th 2007, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by -K
Speaking from personal experience my name check has been pending for over a year now. I did find though this past thursday May 3rd (ironically a year from our interview date) that my name check is
still pending but they are now only waiting on my current name. I had
2 other names that they had checked an all was good on those names so
now just waiting for the current name to be checked. I was informed
early by USCIS aswell as several attorneys in my area an the congress
office that I would have "flags" on my name due to been married 2. I
hope this helps you out
Thanks for the response. From your post, it seems that you changed your name due to marriage and since you were married twice, you changed it twice. Is that what you meant? Well, I changed my name due to mispronunciation and not marriage, but I guess the reason for the change is meaningless.

More importantly, what stage of the process are you in, right now and at what stage or stages, did you have these delays?
Old May 7th 2007, 10:02 pm
-K

On May 7, 2:11 pm, wildestkabs <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > On May 7, 12:21 pm, wildestkabs <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> > > > A hit isn't the only thing that can cause a delay, but it's
> > > > probably
> > > > the most likely, if the delay is on the security check side. The
> > > > delay could also be due to USCIS simply not getting the results
> > > > from
> > > > the various agencies...or not USCIS being lazy about matching the
> > > > results to your file.
>
> > > > When you fill out your immigration paperwork, one of the questions
> > > > asks you to list all other names used. When they do security
> > > > checks,
> > > > they check all the names you listed. If you changed your name
> > > > since
> > > > then, I'm not sure how they would know to look up your new name.
>
> > > > Rene
>
> > > Hi Rene, I am a little confused with "if you changed your name since
> > > then", as I don't know what time period you are talking about.
> > > However,
> > > if you mean whether I changed my name after filing the paperwork for
> > > the
> > > I-751, then no, that is not the case.
>
> > > I changed my last name a couple of months back, and I have listed my
> > > new name in the "Name" section and the old name, in the "other used
> > > names" section. I also sent USCIS a certified copy of the court
> > > order
> > > changing the name.
>
> > > I hope they generate the NOA in the new name, otherwise, that for
> > > sure,
> > > is going to screw things up, alongwith the rest of the package.
>
> > > --
> > > Posted viahttp://britishexpats.com
>
> > Speaking from personal experience my name check has been pending for
> > over a year now. I did find though this past thursday May 3rd
> > (ironically a year from our interview date) that my name check is
> > still pending but they are now only waiting on my current name. I had
> > 2 other names that they had checked an all was good on those names so
> > now just waiting for the current name to be checked. I was informed
> > early by USCIS aswell as several attorneys in my area an the congress
> > office that I would have "flags" on my name due to been married 2. I
> > hope this helps you out
>
> Thanks for the response. From your post, it seems that you changed your
> name due to marriage and since you were married twice, you changed it
> twice. Is that what you meant? Well, I changed my name due to
> mispronunciation and not marriage, but I guess the reason for the change
> is meaningless.
>
> More importantly, what stage of the process are you in, right now and at
> what stage or stages, did you have these delays?
>
> --
> Posted viahttp://britishexpats.com- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Yes you are correct that it was due to marriage. No it doesnt make a
difference for what reason the name change is my understanding. I am
in the "pending stage". I have been pending since Feb of 2006. I had
my interview May 3rd 06. As of May 3rd 07 I am still pending but now
pending just the 1 name my current marriage name. They have cleared
my maiden name and my 1st marriage now just waiting for the last
current one. They told me anything can make you get a "flag". I know
I have had a couple flags but the 1st one was due to my own stupidness
by overstaying my original visa when I entered but that was no help to
my exhusband either so we are both to blame. Other flag they said was
marriage x2 which to me is ridiculous. If you want you more then
welcome to contact me further.
Good luck

Old May 7th 2007, 10:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your NOA will probably come in the name that is on your green card as that is the name they have you registered under. Did you apply to USCIS for a new green card under your new name when you had it changed legally?

Hi Rene, I am a little confused with "if you changed your name since then", as I don't know what time period you are talking about. However, if you mean whether I changed my name after filing the paperwork for the I-751, then no, that is not the case.

I changed my last name a couple of months back, and I have listed my new name in the "Name" section and the old name, in the "other used names" section. I also sent USCIS a certified copy of the court order changing the name, alongwith the rest of the package..

I hope they generate the NOA in the new name, otherwise that, for sure, is going to screw things up.
Old May 7th 2007, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Your NOA will probably come in the name that is on your green card as that is the name they have you registered under.
Ooooh. I hope that does not happen. I wonder whether MVD will renew my driver's license when I show them the NOA with the old name.

Did you apply to USCIS for a new green card under your new name when you had it changed legally?
No I did not, reason being that I had changed my name within the 90 day window. I called up the USCIS misinfo line more than once and they told me that since I was within the 90 days for filing the I-751, I did not have to use the I-90. I could do that if I wanted, but I remember him telling me something about the ability to use a form, if you are filing it, to update name change info, thereby bypassing the I-90. I know that it is the misinfo line, but it sounded right. Besides, that was what I was thinking myself before calling.

I even started a thread on it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416951

Rete, I have provided CIS with the following pieces of documentation:

1) Cover letter mentions the name change and the reason for it.
2) Certified copy of the court order.
3) Photo copy of the driver's license in the old and the new name.
4) Photo copy of the ss card in the old and the new name.

Besides, right where the form begins, in the "information about you" section, is where I have put in the new name.

You mean, all of the above could possibly get ignored and I could still get the NOA in the old name?

Last edited by wildestkabs; May 7th 2007 at 10:59 pm.
Old May 7th 2007, 11:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that the NOA is generated quickly and without them reading the documentation. As long as your petition is there, signed and the check is correct, the notice goes out. It's not like it is sent after they have plowed through all your documentation.

Why did you now wait until you became a USC to have your name changed? Would have saved you a lot of problems.

Ooooh. I hope that does not happen. I wonder whether MVD will renew my driver's license when I show them the NOA with the old name.

No I did not, reason being that I had changed my name within the 90 day window. I called up the USCIS misinfo line more than once and they told me that since I was within the 90 days for filing the I-751, I did not have to use the I-90. I could do that if I wanted, but I remember him telling me something about the ability to use a form, if you are filing it, to update name change info, thereby bypassing the I-90. I know that it is the misinfo line, but it sounded right. Besides, that was what I was thinking myself before calling.

I even started a thread on it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416951

Rete, I have provided CIS with the following pieces of documentation:

1) Cover letter mentions the name change and the reason for it.
2) Certified copy of the court order.
3) Photo copy of the driver's license in the old and the new name.
4) Photo copy of the ss card in the old and the new name.

Besides, right where the form begins, in the "information about you" section, is where I have put in the new name.

You mean, all of the above could possibly get ignored and I could still get the NOA in the old name?
Old May 7th 2007, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

The problem is that the NOA is generated quickly and without them reading the documentation. As long as your petition is there, signed and the check is correct, the notice goes out. It's not like it is sent after they have plowed through all your documentation.
What you typed is exactly what I had thought when I was putting the package together. That somebody would go through all the docs and then the NOA would be generated in the new name. Let me ask you this. Do I have no hope, or can I still get lucky?

Why did you now wait until you became a USC to have your name changed? Would have saved you a lot of problems.
You know, I can't tell you how much I have kicked myself for exactly that. I guess I got so frustrated with the mispronunciation, that I made a decision in haste - a bad one. My problem doesn't end here, though. My new name is actually 2 first names, like John Peter.

Now I am Indian (East, from India). I don't know how familiar you are with India's caste system but people back there are identified by their last names. The last name determines the caste. But now since my new last name is actually an Indian first name, I have people from the Indian community looking at it curiously and saying ," Hmm, what caste is that, never heard of that before?" Similarly, my friends and family will also raise objections. So I am now kind of facing a caste crisis within my own community. My bad.

What am I getting at? - Another change might be possible down the road. But I will make sure that I don't do it, till (hopefully), I reach the naturalization stage. In any event, I am sure I would have successfully raised some red flags by then due to my own stupidity and restlessness.

Last edited by wildestkabs; May 7th 2007 at 11:29 pm.
Old May 7th 2007, 11:30 pm

Do I have no hope, or can I still get lucky?
At least if you do end up getting your 10-year card in your old name, you can then apply for a revised card with your new name on it.

Rene
Old May 8th 2007, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
At least if you do end up getting your 10-year card in your old name, you can then apply for a revised card with your new name on it.

Rene
Yeah, question is: Will an agency like the MVD, or my employer (in case they re-verify the I-9), accept the NOA in the old name, which, no longer, is my legal name?

I am hoping that as long as it can be established that the two persons are the same, it should not be a problem. But that remains to be seen.

I will keep everyone posted on what name the NOA has and whether the MVD agreed to renew my DL for another year in my new name, based on the NOA, which was in the old one.
Old May 8th 2007, 12:55 am

Yeah, question is: Will an agency like the MVD, or my employer (in case they re-verify the I-9), accept the NOA in the old name, which, no longer, is my legal name?
I take your SS card is in your new name now as well?

Rene
Old May 8th 2007, 1:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

No idea how this will go down, but if it were me, I would simply act as if I were entitled and expect everyone to comply. That works for me most of the time.
As for the employer thing, which caught my eye, I have never seen "reverification" come up anywhere until these past few months. From what I read at uscis.gov it's as clear as glass: An employer is not required or allowed to reverify you if you used a Green Card to get hired. Period.

I haven't seen you mention SSA. If you have a no-legend card (I hope you do by now) you should be able to take your court docs in to SSA, get a new card with the new name and use that to support your MVA change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.