Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

buying a business to gain visa - does a b&b count?

buying a business to gain visa - does a b&b count?

Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

cariadlovely is an unknown quantity at this point
Default buying a business to gain visa - does a b&b count?

Hi,
I'm considering purchasing a B&B business - is this a viable option to gain a residence visa in the U.S? or is it a pipe dream?

thanks in advance

Cariad xx
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying a business to gain visa - does a b&b count?

Originally Posted by cariadlovely
Hi,
I'm considering purchasing a B&B business - is this a viable option to gain a residence visa in the U.S? or is it a pipe dream?

thanks in advance

Cariad xx
An E-2 visa would be a poss ...but most B&B do not employ enough
people... Remembering the investment is not about provide you
with a living alone ..

Here's a beautiful B&B and Winner of Trip Advisor's 2008 Traveler's Choice Award one of the TOP 10 BEST B & B's in the U.S.
http://innvictoria.com/
The owner are on a E-2 but have been told they will not be renewed next time as they have no employees.. They are reputedly selling up and moving on ..
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

yikes! well in that case *gets down on one knee* er, will you marry me?
youre in the US, right?
hehehehe okay okay, i'm joking.

erm seriously though i guess in theory it would be fine if say, you invested in a couple of small motels or b&bs, had several employees... a small restaurant.

cariad
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

youre in the US, right?

erm seriously though i guess in theory it would be fine if say, you invested in a couple of small motels or b&bs, had several employees... a small restaurant.

cariad
How much money are you wanting to invest ....
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

well, to be honest, i'm not sure... i'm going thru a divorce that will potentially leave me with about £200,000 and two small boys moving to the U.S is something i've thought about for a long time, and its something i'd like to consider seriously... life is too short, you know? But for the sake of my children, I want to do this properly.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:33 pm
Ray

well, to be honest, i'm not sure... i'm going thru a divorce that will potentially leave me with about £200,000 and two small boys moving to the U.S is something i've thought about for a long time, and its something i'd like to consider seriously... life is too short, you know? But for the sake of my children, I want to do this properly.
So time to work out actual costs
You would need a business
vehicle ..a home ...any particular state you have in mind ...

Always remembering with this type of visa the kids cannot work and
have to leave the country at aged 21

You cannot get a Green card ..the business folds .you have to leave..

Of course finding a US husband sorts all those problems out ..
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... i'm going thru a divorce that will potentially leave me with about £200,000 and two small boys ...
You need to know that you will probably need written permission from the other parent before you remove them from UK jurisdiction. Good luck though!

Ian
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

thank YOu so much for Your replies - definitely food for thought
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

youre in the US, right?

cariad
Hi:

Just a comment -- who knows who you might meet while running that lovely B&B in the USA?
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Just a comment -- who knows who you might meet while running that lovely B&B in the USA?
It's about the only hope with E2. Although there's at least one lawyer touting a scheme involving having a mate (non-biblical) with an E2, a job offer, pseudo advertisements, EB3 and a bloody long wait. Have to see if that pans out. I'm not holding my breath.

Biggest problem with the OP's B&B idea was as Ray stated -- London currently demands (unilaterally it would seem since we all know they are beyond the law!) employees at renewal time and the nature of the business doesn't lend itself to them. If the OP has fully considered all the drawbacks and still wishes to proceed, she should look at a business that will provide employment to Americans.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

$400,000 is not enough to buy a B&B that has a chance of supporting a family, never mind employees as well.

Most have seen are not commercialy viable from a business perspective, too much investment, too little reward, maybe as a part time business, where one partner has a proper job and you are not looking to make big bucks..