Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

British Medical Student -> B1 or F1 visa?

British Medical Student -> B1 or F1 visa?

Old Aug 4th 2010, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Medical Student -> B1 or F1 visa?

Originally Posted by Blitz2010
I could have avoided that whole situation by just saying I was going on a summer holiday trip to Philly for 2 months and I would have had no trouble.
Something to keep in mind for your next trip! I used to quote Mr. Spock who said, "it is not a lie to keep the truth to yourself"... but that doesn't work well with US immigration. Still, by and large, Canadians are scrutinized to a lesser degree than other visitors to the US.

But when they asked for reason for trip, I was honest, said I was a medical student that will be shadowing docs in Philadelphia...and that opened the floodgates.
The officer likely assumed you would be working. Perhaps the problem was your choice of words. You might have better success if you actually tell the real truth about what you'll be doing... observing techniques (a passive non-working state) rather than shadowing docs (an active working state)!

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2010, 12:10 am
Just Joined

Blitz2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeh, fair enough.

But since Mt. Sinai requires all students to go on F-1 visa, I will have to.

So here's my dilemma,

Do I apply for F1 on British or Canadian passport?

I'm leaning towards British passport only because I am a British student studying at a British medical school.

However, my parents and permanent residence is in Canada. Would that be a problem?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:09 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

In an earlier post, you were asked whether or not they knew you were a Canadian citizen and could bypass the F-1 visa route. Did you ask? They have likely assumed you are solely a UKC... and the F-1 information you got was based on that (incorrect) assumption.

I am a British student studying at a British medical school.
You are also a Canadian student studying at a British medical school. Your thinking is too black and white. You are making this far harder on yourself than it needs to be. Ask Mt. Sinai... tell them you're a Canadian citizen, and see what they say. You may be pleasantly surprised!

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, fair enough.

But since Mt. Sinai requires all students to go on F-1 visa, I will have to.

So here's my dilemma,

I'm leaning towards British passport only because I am a British student studying at a British medical school.

However, my parents and permanent residence is in Canada. Would that be a problem?
Would what be a problem?

You need to understand the difference between a visa and a status. Visas are issued by the State Deparment, and are stuck into your passport. A visa gives a foreign national permission to appear at a Port of Entry and apply for admission to the US in a particular status. If all goes well at the POE, the foreign national is given an I-94 arrival/departure record that contains a notation of the person's status while they are in the US. Canadians are mainly visa-exempt - if, as a Canadian, you try to obtain an F-1 visa from a consolate they will tell you you don't need one. You do, however, need F-1 status to study in the US. If you appear at a POE with your I-20 from the school and a receipt for the SEVIS fee, the officer at the border can issue the I-94 for F-1 status. That's what you show the school to prove that you've been properly admitted as a student.

Using your Canadian citizenship will make things much easier for you.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:27 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Take a deep breathe. Read the responses carefully.

1) There is almost zero advantage to using the British passport

2) Stop worrying about the border crossing itself. You don't even have the required documentation to even commence travel at this point and need to find out what you need. Find out if the two activities you are doing (one hospital vs the other hospital) are even within the same nonimmigrant classification (B-1 vs. F-1). In order to make this determination you need to contact the Designated School Official, or whoever manages foreign visitor participation in these programs and find out if it is F-1 or B-1.

3) Collect the required documentation for each hospital.

If an F-1 is required, you need:
i) Canadian passport
ii) SEVIS Form I-20
iii) SEVIS fee receipt Form I-901
iv) Proof of sufficient funds such as bank statements

If a B-1 is required, you need:
i) Canadian passport
ii) Letter from the hospital/school detailing the activity, stating that it fits within B-1, outlining who is paying your expenses, and stating how long you need to be there. (Check the DOS guidance I posted earlier to see the criteria for medical elective clerkships. The letter should establish that you meet the criteria)

Be aware that F-1 students cannot enter as an F-1 unless it is within 30 days of the start date listed on the I-20.

Hopefully, this can all be done under B-1.

Last edited by crg; Aug 5th 2010 at 3:19 am.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, I was on the the website, but like I said, Mt. Sinai in NYC require that all visiting students are on a F-1 visa...

http://london.usembassy.gov/research.html

But this is only for B-1...
Third section in your link says B1 or VWP. I used the VWP on a British Passport. I printed out that page and had it available for the immigration guys, but it wasn't needed.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
Take a deep breathe. Read the responses carefully.

1) There is almost zero advantage to using the British passport

2) Stop worrying about the border crossing itself. You don't even have the required documentation to even commence travel at this point and need to find out what you need. Find out if the two activities you are doing (one hospital vs the other hospital) are even within the same nonimmigrant classification (B-1 vs. F-1). In order to make this determination you need to contact the Designated School Official, or whoever manages foreign visitor participation in these programs and find out if it is F-1 or B-1.

3) Collect the required documentation for each hospital.

If an F-1 is required, you need:
i) Canadian passport
ii) SEVIS Form I-20
iii) SEVIS fee receipt Form I-901
iv) Proof of sufficient funds such as bank statements

If a B-1 is required, you need:
i) Canadian passport
ii) Letter from the hospital/school detailing the activity, stating that it fits within B-1, outlining who is paying your expenses, and stating how long you need to be there. (Check the DOS guidance I posted earlier to see the criteria for medical elective clerkships. The letter should establish that you meet the criteria)

Be aware that F-1 students cannot enter as an F-1 unless it is within 30 days of the start date listed on the I-20.

Hopefully, this can all be done under B-1.
http://london.usembassy.gov/b1.html indicates VWP is ok on a British PP.

Can Canadian PP holders (and users) use the VWP? ie He should be good to go with the Brit PP for the VWP, can the same be said for his Can PP?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:06 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
http://london.usembassy.gov/b1.html indicates VWP is ok on a British PP.

Can Canadian PP holders (and users) use the VWP? ie He should be good to go with the Brit PP for the VWP, can the same be said for his Can PP?
No. Canada isn't on the list of VWP countries. Canada, as well as Bermuda, are visa exempt. Canadians only need a visa for E, V, and K classifications and can skip the consulate altogether for everything else.

There is no good reason to use the British passport for this. A VWP applicant must still establish that the activity they are seeking entry to do is within the B-1 or B-2 classification.

Last edited by crg; Aug 5th 2010 at 9:10 am.