Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

British expat with Russian wife- what visa ?

British expat with Russian wife- what visa ?

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 10:22 am
Just Joined

matt1960 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British expat with Russian wife- what visa ?

I have worked in the oil industry over in Russia for several years as a manager, and married a Russian woman nearly one year ago after we lived together for 2 years.

I have been offered a job in the states with another company as an operations manager.
As it is a new employer i dont know if i qualify for an L1 visa.
Can anyone advise on what visa options are available that will allow me to work in the states and take my Russian wife with me. If possible she would like to go to college or work.
She has a 100 % record of visa compliance and was recently granted a 2 year multi entry visa for the UK.
No children involved in the application

Any advice appreciated
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expat with Russian wife- what visa ?

If it's with a new company, I believe the only visa available to you is the H-1B.

An L1 visa is for an intracompany transfer.

Your wife would (assuming no big problems) quality for an H4 visa. She would be able to live with you in the US but could not work.

You mentioned the possibility of college... this she could do.

The H-1B visa is a tricky one with which to graduate to a greencard. Something to think about.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply

Yeah i did think the L1 was not going to be possible.
How tough is it to meet the requirements for an H1 B visa ?

I do not have a university degree, just some technical certificates and a lot of years work experience in the oil industry.

The company will sponsor everything and it is a resident position, not working a 28/28 rotation.

Not really interested in a green card as i would like to return to the UK in two or three years time.

It is a definite offer, but i never knew the visa process was so tight for the USA.
Even Russian visa's seems easier and less complicated
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:05 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by matt1960

I do not have a university degree, just some technical certificates and a lot of years work experience in the oil industry.
You will not get an H1B visa without a 4 year degree, having said that I do not have a university degree, but I have had two H1B1 Visas, for the purpose of my immigration I have a bachelors degree in operations management, which was issued (agreed upon), from a goverment department in Washington.

They will count 3 years off professional work as 1 year vocational study.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsm
You will not get an H1B visa without a 4 year degree, having said that I do not have a university degree, but I have had two H1B1 Visas, for the purpose of my immigration I have a bachelors degree in operations management, which was issued (agreed upon), from a goverment department in Washington.

They will count 3 years off professional work as 1 year vocational study.
That's not strictly accurate, though it is a lot harder without a degree. The USCIS would consider experience and technical certs to be the equivalent of a degree, but it becomes tougher to prove.

Education, training, or experience in the specialty that is equivalent to the completion of such a degree.**
And to be incredibly pedantic, I got an H-1B based on my 3-year degree gained in the UK
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The company will sponsor everything and it is a resident position, not working a 28/28 rotation.
Since the employer is the one who begins the H1B process, their company's lawyer will know whether you qualify or not. I believe the job itself must require a degree, but experience can be used in lieu of a degree, if you have enough years of it. The company will submit the petition for you. If it's approved, you will apply for the visa. Your wife would get an H4, which would not allow her to work, but will allow her to attend school.

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 2:01 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hobbes79
That's not strictly accurate, though it is a lot harder without a degree. The USCIS would consider experience and technical certs to be the equivalent of a degree, but it becomes tougher to prove.
That was basically what was done for me, maybe my wording was not that great.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 2:49 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

May be too late anyway
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:45 am
Just Joined

I have over 12 years working offshore as a mechanical supervisor and over 4 years as as an engineering operations manager. I have technical certification, but no degree's.

I will probably offend some, but i have seen so many college guys with degree's working offshore and i would'nt trust some of them to put a nut on a bolt. Having a degree does not guarantee that a person is more qualified to do a certain job.

The position is to over see a fabrication workshop that makes subsea risers and pipespools for sub sea pipelines.
It is just to really coordinate all the different depts and manage the operation so that every thing ties in together on time and on budget.

It is a British based company, but with workshops in different locations worldwide.

It would be a great job with excellent terms and conditions. I would be really disappointed not to get it due simply to not being able to get a visa.

time will tell. worst case may be having to go to another location for 1 year and then try for an L1 with the same company.

Or are there any other suggestions out there ?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:23 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

I have over 12 years working offshore as a mechanical supervisor and over 4 years as as an engineering operations manager. I have technical certification, but no degree's.

I will probably offend some, but i have seen so many college guys with degree's working offshore and i would'nt trust some of them to put a nut on a bolt. Having a degree does not guarantee that a person is more qualified to do a certain job.
It might offend some people (not me though: most of the a*seholes I have ever worked with had PhDs), but that attitude is something to keep to yourself in an H-1B application: the premise is that the H-1B is available to people with higher qualifications. To call that criterion into doubt, or to suggest that it is effectively meaningless will not endear you to USCIS.

Just my 2c.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice, and i will be certain to keep my opinions to myself on the merits of a higher education.

I fully accept that many professions require degrees and a university education, but not having that, should not exclude people such as me who have held a very responsible job in a tough industry for several years and advanced through the ranks due to work ethic and being able to do a good job with the experience to back it up.

The position is managing an American branch of a British company that does specialized welding and automatic welding for the offshore industry.

Maybe a lot depends on how strong the company petitions on my behalf and that they would prefer to have a British manager over seeing their operation.

A lot is riding on this application. It would be a huge blow not to be able to get in to the states to work.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:06 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice, and i will be certain to keep my opinions to myself on the merits of a higher education.
Smart guy!

I fully accept that many professions require degrees and a university education, but not having that, should not exclude people such as me who have held a very responsible job in a tough industry for several years and advanced through the ranks due to work ethic and being able to do a good job with the experience to back it up.
Don't know about the offshore industry. However, the smartest guy (and the most productive) on my team has no degree, but lots (16 years) of experience in his field, and had no problem getting an H-1B. This is computing, so I have no idea how it compares to your field. As a hiring manager, I go for experience every time over degree, and my company is very supportive of my and other managers' stance: the immigration people never bat an eye.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 10:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It would seem unlikely you could get a visa before Oct next year, current year is on the edge of running out.

If the wife is OK not working and that timeline is OK then it should be doable.

From a practical point of view it is down to the Company, they do the process they decide if they want to wait that long.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It would seem unlikely you could get a visa before Oct next year, current year is on the edge of running out.
H1B applications for the current year's capped quota have closed.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

worst case may be having to go to another location for 1 year and then try for an L1 with the same company.
This would be a good option if they can do it.

It also allows a far easier path to a greencard. Though that may not be of interest right now, it's always nice to have the option out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.