Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Brit mother/US father...citizenship question

Brit mother/US father...citizenship question

Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Eve_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Brit mother/US father...citizenship question

Good morning,

I recently discovered that I qualify for british citizenship, under this law:

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...british-mother

I was born in 1970. I was about to begin the paperwork process when I read this on the US dual citizenship page:

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tionality.html

It is this portion that worries me:
"In order to lose U.S. nationality, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. nationality."

Clearly I would be voluntarily applying. But I do not want to give up my US citizenship. I have children and a husband who are US citizens. I have to swear allegiance to the Queen in order to gain British citizenship. I have hunted high and low for what the US considers to be intentionally giving up citizenship. Their dual citizenship laws are vague, and frustrating. I suspect that is on purpose as they don't exactly encourage dual citizenship.

Does anyone have any links or other information that could help me?

Thanks so much.

Eve_
Old Nov 14th 2016, 7:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit mother/US father...citizenship question

Pledging allegience to the UK does not equal giving up a citizenship. Just like UKCs who become dual US/UK citizens, you would be a USC who has dual US/UK citizenship.

Rene
Old Nov 14th 2016, 7:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

No worries, neither the US nor the UK cares if you are a dual national. I was born British but became a US citizen eight years ago, I don't recall even being asked about my British citizenship. I now hold both nationalities and two passports.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth noting that in recent years the US has made it increasingly harder and expensive (fees into the thousands of dollars) to voluntarily give up US citizenship for those that actively want to do so. If the State Department was in the habit of routinely depriving US citizenship for simply acquiring another country's, then all those who want to get out of the clutches of the IRS would be going down that route!
Old Nov 15th 2016, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Eve_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. I appreciate the help.

Eve_
Old Nov 15th 2016, 2:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eve_
Thank you. I appreciate the help.

Eve_
You're welcome.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 2:45 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

When you get your British citizenship you will have to go to a British Consulate near where you live to pledge to the Queen, etc., in a citizenship ceremony. I think it costs approx $85. My daughter did it in Atlanta, She was the only one there. In the audience were two Brits on holiday who had lost a passport. They thoroughly enjoyed the surprise ceremony that they encountered!

BTW this only applies to people born to British mothers, not people born to British fathers. Born before 1983. My daughter was born in Germany before 1983. There was a fee when she got her citizenship of approx $850. I guess it was meant to put people off from doing it. It was struck down as unfair a few months after she paid it. Good luck!
Old Nov 15th 2016, 10:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eve_
Good morning,

I recently discovered that I qualify for british citizenship, under this law:

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...british-mother

I was born in 1970. I was about to begin the paperwork process when I read this on the US dual citizenship page:

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tionality.html

It is this portion that worries me:
"In order to lose U.S. nationality, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. nationality."

Clearly I would be voluntarily applying. But I do not want to give up my US citizenship. I have children and a husband who are US citizens. I have to swear allegiance to the Queen in order to gain British citizenship. I have hunted high and low for what the US considers to be intentionally giving up citizenship. Their dual citizenship laws are vague, and frustrating. I suspect that is on purpose as they don't exactly encourage dual citizenship.

Does anyone have any links or other information that could help me?

Thanks so much.

Eve_
As others have mentioned you will not lose your US citizenship by going through this process. Despite the somewhat sniffy attitude of the US towards dual nationality, as shown on the State Department website, you don't lose your US citizenship unless you make an application to explicitly renounce it to the US government.

Your British citizenship application itself is free and you need only pay £80 ($100) towards the costs of your citizenship ceremony which will be held at your nearest British consulate. Before your ceremony you'll also need to give your biometric data (photo, fingerprints) as part of the application process at your local DHS office. The Home Office will arrange both of these appointments for you. The whole process will take around three to six months to complete. Once you receive your Certificate of registration as a British citizen at your citizenship ceremony you can then make an application for a British passport.