Bring parents to US

Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

cjcherri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bring parents to US

A friend of ours wants to know the possiblity of bring her parents to US (immigrant visa) she's not yet a us citizen; however, her husband is willing to to help sponsoring her parents if needed. We feel this is interesting because i'd like to bring my parents here when time becomes right. Any advice?
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:46 am
Jonathan McNeil Wong

Default Re: Bring parents to US

cjcherri wrote:
    > A friend of ours wants to know the possiblity of bring her parents to US
    > (immigrant visa) she's not yet a us citizen; however, her husband is
    > willing to to help sponsoring her parents if needed. We feel this is
    > interesting because i'd like to bring my parents here when time becomes
    > right. Any advice?
    >

There is no relative visa classification for parents of an LPR.
Congress just seems to have overlooked it. Likewise, the husband (who I
gather is a USC) can't petition for the wife's parents -- they are not
his parents under the Act.

--
Above intended as general commentary, not specific legal
advice. Your mileage may vary.

================================================== =============
Jonathan McNeil Wong Voice: 510-451-0544
Donahue, Gallagher Woods LLP Facsimile: 510-832-1486
P.O. Box 12979 http://www.donahue.com
Oakland, CA 94604-2979 E-mail: [email protected]
================================================== =============

Old Jan 27th 2005, 4:11 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjcherri
A friend of ours wants to know the possiblity of bring her parents to US (immigrant visa) she's not yet a us citizen; however, her husband is willing to to help sponsoring her parents if needed. We feel this is interesting because i'd like to bring my parents here when time becomes right. Any advice?
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/parents.htm
Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:30 am

Trent is an unknown quantity at this point

As Ray pointed to the correct link, a Permanent Resident cannot bring his/her parent(s) to the US. Only a USC can. And the USC spouse cannot help (as far as I know).

Why not have them just visit for a month or two instead of bringing permanently?
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the tip.
actually, our friend's parents have been rejected of visitor visa (for they have direct relative in the US). I am affraid that this would happen with my parents.

Lawrence
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the tip.
actually, our friend's parents have been rejected of visitor visa (for they have direct relative in the US). I am affraid that this would happen with my parents.

Lawrence

It is almost a certainty that will happen. Also bear in mind that it is wonderful to have your parents in the same country but if they are of retirement age and not wealthy, there are problems with their being here. One of the issues is healthcare insurance and expenses. Getting old is not easy and health issues crop up daily. Without insurance who is going to pay for the doctor's, meds, hospitals, etc.

Rete
Old Jan 27th 2005, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

My intention of bring my parents here is that when they get old, they have choice of being with me or my other siblings in taiwan. Being the oldest son in my family. I am most certainly the one taking care of my family. My father is in his 50s and mother early 50s. They're still quiet young. I just want they to have the option later. As far as finance wise, I think they would manage to have enough till they're 100 if they do decide to move here (meaning they'll have to sale everything) the tricky part is to have Health insurance.
I think my parents would perfer to stay where they are because they're comfortable with the place,language, and people. I don't see them staying by themselves in seperate house once they move here and certainly don't see my wife getting along with them without speaking taiwanese. In fact, there was an issue when we annoance our marriage. We parents were shocked that i am marrying a "WHITE GIRL". But they respected me. Seriously, there's big cultural barrier taht they (parents and wife) can't cross. Anyway, it's about my parents choice, if they decide to leave where they are, i want them to be able to stay here according to their wishes.

BTW, any idea how to help my wife and parents get along wth each other? I mean, they say hi when they see each other. Give hugs when meeting and leaving. Besides that, they don't have commom language or body signals.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 4:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You had best thing that 50's is young as I am soon to be 57 and embarking on a career change and only 6 years into a new marriage.

Greatest bridge for your wife and your parents will be the presentation of grandchildren. The continuation of family through a new generation has a way of transcending most difficulties. Especially if each are willing to see that the children must and will be educated to honor and respect both cultural heritages.

My intention of bring my parents here is that when they get old, they have choice of being with me or my other siblings in taiwan. Being the oldest son in my family. I am most certainly the one taking care of my family. My father is in his 50s and mother early 50s. They're still quiet young. I just want they to have the option later. As far as finance wise, I think they would manage to have enough till they're 100 if they do decide to move here (meaning they'll have to sale everything) the tricky part is to have Health insurance.
I think my parents would perfer to stay where they are because they're comfortable with the place,language, and people. I don't see them staying by themselves in seperate house once they move here and certainly don't see my wife getting along with them without speaking taiwanese. In fact, there was an issue when we annoance our marriage. We parents were shocked that i am marrying a "WHITE GIRL". But they respected me. Seriously, there's big cultural barrier taht they (parents and wife) can't cross. Anyway, it's about my parents choice, if they decide to leave where they are, i want them to be able to stay here according to their wishes.

BTW, any idea how to help my wife and parents get along wth each other? I mean, they say hi when they see each other. Give hugs when meeting and leaving. Besides that, they don't have commom language or body signals.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 4:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You had best thing that 50's is young as I am soon to be 57 and embarking on a career change and only 6 years into a new marriage.

Greatest bridge for your wife and your parents will be the presentation of grandchildren. The continuation of family through a new generation has a way of transcending most difficulties. Especially if each are willing to see that the children must and will be educated to honor and respect both cultural heritages.
The tricky part is making sure each are willing to raise the child under both cultures. I've seen many Persian/American marriages have trouble when a child is brought into it. The wife wants to raise it "American", the husband's family wants to raise it "Persian" and they can't find any middle ground because the cultures are so different. It actually creates more problems rather than solving any. If the husband takes a side, he gets an earful from the opposing side. That leaves the husband feeling stuck in the middle.

I never think bringing children into a problematic scenario helps solve the problems...I only think it intensifies them. If a couple DOES decide to have a child, they both should be prepared in case it creates more turmoil within the family structure.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2005, 4:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi cj,

Have your wife learn as much Taiwanese as possible. Both the language, and about the culture. Even if she doesn't *like* it, at least it will bridge the gap, and your parents will probably appreciate her efforts. I learned Farsi so that my husband wouldn't always be under pressure to translate for me, so I could be part of the daily family life on a first-hand basis, and so I could learn more about who my husband is, where he comes from, and how the family interacts - all on a first-hand basis, without relying on other's people's interpretations.

The more your wife speaks and understands about your culture, the more comfortable she will feel around your family back home. I'd say have your parents learn some English, too...and if that's possible, do it...but they're older and more set in their traditional ways, and it's much harder to learn another language at their age.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 27th 2005, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

My wife is in fact taking Chinese course in the local community college. The thing is that my parents don't really speak mandrin, they speak Taiwanese although they do understand mandrin (not all). There's no taiwanese language offered in the community college and myself don't really speak taiwanese well(i received mandrin education while in taiwan and came to US very young). On our wedding gathering in Taiwan and the time when grandma was sick in the hospital, my uncle (who's a USC) was the translator. And this is so far, her only contact with my family. We have talked about having a baby but seriously, can't afford to have one as we both made less than 60000 in the past two years and with our new business expenses. Unless my parents help us (which they are very eager to) (there's also issue of fairness to my other siblings that my parents financially support us). Our goal is to have our business established in the next 3-5 years so that my wife can stay home with the baby since we both believe in the importance of early childhood education. My parents; however, will want to take a part in raising grandchilren like they always do. And myself, being their oldest son, cant' agree the way they raise kids. Nothing personal about my parents, the cultral is so differnt. My wife and I both want to raise our child(ren) with tranditional chinese value with full intergration of US education. And again, it also depends on our child(ren) of how they want to be raised........LONG STORY
Old Jan 27th 2005, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

DON'T take me wrong. My parents LOVE my wife, they have nothing against her. Just can't communicate. Funny thing is, although my mom doesn't speak English, She wants to talk to wify everytime i call home (that's why we got conference phone) and she refers herself as "MOMMY" to my wife. When i am not home and she called. She tries talking with my wife about things in ENGLISH and also said "Mommy love you" to my wife when she hangs out

Can't stop lauging......

LAWRENCE