Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Boyfriend on an O1, moving to San Francisco..

Boyfriend on an O1, moving to San Francisco..

Old Aug 11th 2015, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Clairerose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Boyfriend on an O1, moving to San Francisco..

Originally Posted by mikelincs
GC = Green Card.
How silly, of course! That's our best plan, just takes time of course. Do you know average time it can take for an O1 holder to be granted green card status, there are mixed messages online? I'm assuming 6 months plus? Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clairerose
Hello
I would be returning to the UK at Christmas - I would then come back out in January on a B2 cohabiting visa if this was granted.
But you can't work on a b2 either. At least the O1 dependent visa is guaranteed to be issued pretty easily.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Why would your boyfriend switch from O-1 to H1B?

Rene
There are actually reasons for doing this particular maneuver.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Clairerose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caleyjag
There are actually reasons for doing this particular maneuver.
Hi Rene
Are you able to expand?
Thank you
Old Aug 11th 2015, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene
Are you able to expand?
Thank you
Switching from O1 to H1b is advantageous for travel freedoms when applying for the GC.

I'm not married so I can't comment on the pros and cons for dependent visas.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 5:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Clairrose,

If I were you, I'd go ahead and get married sooner, and get the dependent visa off of his O-1. That's SO much easier than trying for a B-2 visa. The dependent visa is a sure thing; the B visa is not.

Rene
Old Aug 11th 2015, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

How silly, of course! That's our best plan, just takes time of course. Do you know average time it can take for an O1 holder to be granted green card status, there are mixed messages online? I'm assuming 6 months plus? Thanks for your help.
...don't count on anything where GC is concerned. As the spouse of an H1 you would be granted the H4 visa, the so-called visa-from-hell and you CANNOT WORK, EVER.

What you may have read about is some H4 visa holders being granted permission to work while waiting for their green card to be issued (i.e. it's been applied for and accepted and will be approved)...this will not apply to you for several years.

Bear in mind that not being married in the US means you and your BF effectively have no joint rights. His health insurance will most likely not cover you if you're not married and the company won't pay to bring you over either.

H4 status/or any other status that does not allow a spouse to work is truly shit and imho a violation of human rights but you can use it to your advantage depending on your skills, needs and wants. You can spend your time networking and preparing for your next career move (and start applying to relevant companies around April when the next h1b lottery round opens). Or you can try to find short term projects that take you *out of the country* (as you cannot work, even remotely, in the USA) for a few weeks at time to complete. Travelling in and out on a H4 is easy.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
H4 status/or any other status that does not allow a spouse to work is truly shit and imho a violation of human rights.
Lets not forget immigration is a privilege not a right!
Old Aug 14th 2015, 3:23 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The dependent visa is a sure thing; the B visa is not.
Good to know, I thought all visas were subject to the same criteria once the petition had been approved... e.g. any criminal history....
Old Aug 14th 2015, 5:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Good to know, I thought all visas were subject to the same criteria once the petition had been approved... e.g. any criminal history....
Well, yes, that's true.i was assuming you otherwise qualify to get the visa. I was just saying that the dependent visa, if you qualify, will not raise any questions as to why you want the visa. If you can prove you're married and that your spouse had an O visa (and you aren't somehow inadmissible yourself), you'll get the visa.

With the B-2 cohabitating visa, there is just more wiggle room for the officer to deny the visa in the first place.

Rene
Old Aug 14th 2015, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DottM
Lets not forget immigration is a privilege not a right!
Let's also not forget article 23 of the Declaration of Human Rights: " Everyone has the right to work...".

But sure, I made my choice for various reasons and with full knowledge about the situation but that does not mean I will not speak out about it
Old Aug 14th 2015, 8:34 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
Let's also not forget article 23 of the Declaration of Human Rights: " Everyone has the right to work...".
Within their own country. The article doesn't confer any rights to ignore international boundaries and demand employment.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Within their own country. The article doesn't confer any rights to ignore international boundaries and demand employment.
Demanding the right to work is not the same as demanding employment. But anyway, you're right, one must bow to the restrictions of the country in which one finds themselves. Or leave.