Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Booking H1B renewal stamping @ Christmas

Booking H1B renewal stamping @ Christmas

Old Aug 27th 2014, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Leo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really nice
Default Booking H1B renewal stamping @ Christmas

Hi all,

I'm heading back to London around Xmas. By that time, I will have a renewed H1B but my passport stamp will have expired. My questions are thus:

1) How far in advance can I book a US Consulate appointment?
2) From the date of the appointment, how many working days will I need to leave for the passport to be returned to me?
3) Where's the official list of forms and things I'll need to bring for the renewal appointment?
4) Do I need to fill out a whole new DS-160, or can I just re-print my 3-year-old confirmation page and bring that?

Cheers!
--Leo
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

xathras is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Booking H1B renewal stamping @ Christmas

Interested to see response on this one since I will be in similar scenario
Old Sep 27th 2014, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

uncletravlingphil is just really niceuncletravlingphil is just really niceuncletravlingphil is just really niceuncletravlingphil is just really niceuncletravlingphil is just really niceuncletravlingphil is just really niceuncletravlingphil is just really niceuncletravlingphil is just really nice

Similar questions here...
Old Sep 29th 2014, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

triptastic is on a distinguished road

I am in the same situation.

1) Appointments are available for December (I have appointment booked for Dec 19) via the online system. ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb/niv

2) Unknown - I hope not too long

3) When you make the appointment online, it gives you the list of what you need

4) Need a new DS-160 I think

You can setup your appointment online once you have completed a new DS-160.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

AP would be the big unknown.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 5:41 am
Just Joined

uncletravlingphil is just really niceuncletravlingphil is just really niceuncletravlingphil is just really niceuncletravlingphil is just really niceuncletravlingphil is just really niceuncletravlingphil is just really niceuncletravlingphil is just really niceuncletravlingphil is just really nice

AP?
Old Sep 30th 2014, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

Yes.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Right. If you could go ahead and explain what that means... that would be awesome.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uncletravlingphil
Right. If you could go ahead and explain what that means... that would be awesome.
AP usually stands for "administrative processing"... and can often throw a monkey wrench into any visa application. AP involves additional checks either for the applicant, the application, or the sponsoring company - and it can take 2 weeks or, often, 4-6 months... which, sad to say, happened to at least one BE member last year! Unfortunately, there's no way to know ahead of time if someone will end up in AP - so, as Boiler suggested, "AP would be the big unknown."

Ian
Old Sep 30th 2014, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

There is a current thread on H and AP.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 4:20 am
Just Joined

OK thanks. I had a colleague have to go through AP last year, as it happens...
Old Oct 1st 2014, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

ellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond repute

I had my first H1B stamping at the US Embassy in London last Christmas and the timeline was as follows:
18 Dec: Appointment (visa approved)
20 Dec: Email from Courier staying they have my passport and tracking number
23 Dec: Passport and I797 delivered to home

For more info, as I recently switched jobs and obtained a new H1B I had to visit the embassy again in order to return after a conference in Germany. The timeline was similar;
15 Sep: Appointment (visa approved)
18 Sep: Email from Courier staying they have my passport and tracking number
19 Sep: Picked up passport and I797 from DX Depot near Heathrow.

Hope that helps!!

In addition:
* You can probably book an appointment now but you need to fill out the DS160 first. If they don't have dates available in December yet, pick a different date and keep checking the calendar and switch when the December date opens up.
* Yes you must fill out a new DS160
* The only document they wanted from me both times (aside from the appointment letter and DS160 confirmation) was the original I797 approval notice. They kept this and returned it with my passport. You can see the official list here http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/niv_...documents.html .

Last edited by ellie_gbr; Oct 1st 2014 at 2:21 pm.