Blanket L1 visa to L1 help

Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

sylvia567 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blanket L1 visa to L1 help

Hi all,

My husband, a UKC, has a 'Blanket L1' visa to work in the US.

We want to emigrate to the States - I am USC- and are wondering how this works.

From what I can see, the Blanket is the first step. His employer will have to file an i-129s to raise his status to L1, when it is approved we can move to the States.

When we get there we will file the AOS based on our marriage.

My questions are simple, I hope.

1. Is the above correct?
2. What is the filing fee for the i-129s?

Thank you a million!
Old Mar 4th 2015, 4:47 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blanket L1 visa to L1 help

1. no, he can't have a blanket L1. His employer may have Blanket approval, that will make the application they put in for him more straight forward.
2. Google: H and L Filing Fees for Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker | USCIS

If you are a USC you can also apply for him to get a immigrant visa that will not be tied to his job.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sylvia567
Hi all,
My husband, a UKC, has a 'Blanket L1' visa to work in the US.
Are you saying your husband actually has the L1 visa in his passport?
Or are you saying your husband's employer has blanket approval?
Old Mar 4th 2015, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Fozzy and THT.

My husband has, in his UK passport, a visa from the US. On it, it says 'Blanket L1' with coverage for a 5 year period.

I am sorry if I've misunderstood - I was basing my research on what it says in his passport + what I read on various immigration boards.

Totally confused now!

***EDITED*** It also says, under 'Blanket L1': 'Must Present Approved I-129S At POE'.

I do understand that is the form his company must fill out to grant him an L1. POE must be point of entry.

Does this help make sense of his visa?

Last edited by sylvia567; Mar 4th 2015 at 6:32 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

You are good to go then!

The I-129 should be in among the pile of documents that your husband's lawyers gave him to take to the embassy for his interview. Its easiest to take the whole pile with you and present it at entry - when I first entered on my L1 the CBP officer started looking through the stack I presented him with for it, then decided he couldn't be bothered and just stamped me in...
Old Mar 4th 2015, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

I am so confused!!! Haha Thank you Fozzy. This is fabulous news.

For some reason he thought it was restricted, like he could only work for 90 days of the year in the US.

But I haven't seen anything like that. It will just be WAY TOO AMAZING if we already have the green light and can move to the States, then file an easy breezy AOS and then life is sunshiny forever.

Oh wait, there I go being a positive American again.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Only downside is that the visa is "tied" to the employer.

If your husband ever ceases to be employed by that company then he has to leave the US virtually immediately. Best to go about getting the greencard (by virtue of marriage presumably) sooner rather than later just in case...
Old Mar 4th 2015, 7:17 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
Only downside is that the visa is "tied" to the employer.

If your husband ever ceases to be employed by that company then he has to leave the US virtually immediately. Best to go about getting the greencard (by virtue of marriage presumably) sooner rather than later just in case...
She's talking about her husband adjusting status once they're in the US so won't be tied to his employer then.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Fozzy. We are going to apply for AOS immediately - to avoid catastrophes. I was told in the 'marriage visa' forum that this was possible, and would not affect his L1 with his job.

Do you know (sorry to keep asking but you seem to know this stuff) if we arrive on his L1 then immediately file the AOS based on our marriage, IF his employer were to let him go, would he still be allowed to stay if the AOS was in process?
Old Mar 4th 2015, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do you know (sorry to keep asking but you seem to know this stuff) if we arrive on his L1 then immediately file the AOS based on our marriage, IF his employer were to let him go, would he still be allowed to stay if the AOS was in process?
I believe he would be able to stay - but that's just based on what I've read, my wife isn't American so I never had that option.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 7:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fozzy. We are going to apply for AOS immediately - to avoid catastrophes. I was told in the 'marriage visa' forum that this was possible, and would not affect his L1 with his job.

Yes.

Rene
Old Mar 4th 2015, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes.

Rene

Thank you, Rene and Fozzy!
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:22 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

You should also look at an EAD and AP when you file for the AOS, will give you more options while you wait.