Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Bit of a prob getting back into the USA

Bit of a prob getting back into the USA

Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of a prob getting back into the USA

Originally Posted by englishinfl
I suppose not. I certainly didn't know it was even possible.
Confused? Come on now, isn't the whole the immigration process designed specifically with that in mind? To confuse?
I do agree the whole immigration process is very confusing until you talk to many, many people going through the same thing. That is why I am a member of BE. I have learned a great deal from all of my friends on BE that I would not have known otherwise
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not totally sure what you're trying to say there. Maybe it's all down to one immigrations officers personal opinion against another. Different strokes for different folks, so to speak. The key word in your quote is "probably", it doesn't mean anything definate.
I think what PG is getting at is that what we have seen happen over the past 6 years does not jibe with what people have known for the 50 years previous.

LPRs who had convictions or incidents from before their grant of LPR (which were not a bar at the time they happened or at the time the LPR case was adjudicated) find themselves inadmissible under TODAY's standard and on the bus back home.

Citizenship is powerful protection against that.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:35 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

Citizenship is powerful protection against that.
Can't agree more. "They" would have a much harder fight trying to strip someone of citizenship than LPR. Major laws would need to change vs the almost unlimited authority without oversight that USCIS "enjoy."
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:39 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Can't agree more. "They" would have a much harder fight trying to strip someone of citizenship than LPR. Major laws would need to change vs the almost unlimited authority without oversight that USCIS "enjoy."
and how good to know that you never had to deal with uscis again!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:11 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=meauxna;6762132]I think what PG is getting at is that what we have seen happen over the past 6 years does not jibe with what people have known for the 50 years previous.

LPRs who had convictions or incidents from before their grant of LPR (which were not a bar at the time they happened or at the time the LPR case was adjudicated) find themselves inadmissible under TODAY's standard and on the bus back home.QUOTE]

Hi
Well, I've only been here 5 years. I wasn't granted LPR status until a couple of years ago, so my permanent resident card has a long time left on it.
Fortunately I don't have any criminal convictions or "incidents" on my record either, and I intend to keep it that way. Maybe the immigration officer PG spoke to was used to coming across AOS cases or LPR's that often broke the law or something and then had problems.
I try and do things by the book, and stay within the bounds of the law, I find it easier all round.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:16 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade
I do agree the whole immigration process is very confusing until you talk to many, many people going through the same thing. That is why I am a member of BE. I have learned a great deal from all of my friends on BE that I would not have known otherwise
I'm grateful to all the people that have commented sensibly on what I have written too, in the short time I've been reading on here.
I've leaned a lot of things that I wasn't aware of since I've been looking through the site.
Hopefully I've been through as much as need to go through as far as the immigration prcess is concerned, unless of course I decide that I want to go down the citizenship route at a later date
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
All I am saying is a comment that was made to me by an Immigration offical I would like to make it clear that it was not made at the interview but on a random visit.

And probably, is enough for me lol I am not taking any chances
A "random visit"? You mean you visited them, or that they actually had time to come and randomly visit you?

LoL, so are you trying to say something along the lines of "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you" ?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I am a dual UK/US citizen
Ian
Ok, let me rephrase that then, just in case it wasn't clear to anyone else.. I don't know any dual UK/US citizens personally.

I get it though, it's clear to me now, I understand everyone... it IS possible to have dual.
'k?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, let me rephrase that then, just in case it wasn't clear to anyone else.. I don't know any dual UK/US citizens personally.

I get it though, it's clear to me now, I understand everyone... it IS possible to have dual.
'k?
Well this will blow your mind then.. how about THREE citizenships.. or FOUR?

Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:49 pm
Banned

Sorry, I can't reply... my mind is blown
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:05 pm

Well, I've only been here 5 years. I wasn't granted LPR status until a couple of years ago, so my permanent resident card has a long time left on it.
Fortunately I don't have any criminal convictions or "incidents" on my record either, and I intend to keep it that way. Maybe the immigration officer PG spoke to was used to coming across AOS cases or LPR's that often broke the law or something and then had problems.
I try and do things by the book, and stay within the bounds of the law, I find it easier all round.
No one wants to argue with you over this, but I sense a hint of smugness here.. PG isn't a law breaker, but she has every reason to be as concerned as anyone else.. because she is here at the mercy/pleasure of "the rules". She has no control over the rules and it doesn't matter that she thinks she's playing by "the rules"... the rules get changed midcourse!

Let's take something silly, like Prohibition---say the US decides alcohol is truly the Devil's Brew and outlaws it. Now it's well known this would affect PG... will she become a Merlot Outlaw?! If they change the drinking age to ... 25 years old, but now decide to retroactively apply today's law on yesterday's actions.... well, she being a blushing 24 would be an underage drinker and potentially removable.

She too immigrated through a USC spouse; I'm just saying, be careful about where you feel 'too' comfortable. None of it has anything to do with how many years are left on your PR card validity.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

She too immigrated through a USC spouse; I'm just saying, be careful about where you feel 'too' comfortable. None of it has anything to do with how many years are left on your PR card validity.
I know an immigration attorney who is fond of saying "There's nothing Permanent about Permanent Residency". (no, not one of the attorneys who visits these forums).

Rene
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Three! <raises hand> Yup... that's me!

Sorry englishinfl... didn't mean to blow your mind!

Ian
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! My OH is a tri-national citizen. South Africa, Britain and now the US. Although, I think if he wants to renew his SA passport to claim his SA citizenship, he would have to give up his British and American passports..which won't be happening.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Sep 8th 2008 at 8:08 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:34 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
You cling to some quaint notions that have no basis in reality. You need to widen both your reading and circle of acquaintances. For the latter, here's as good a place as any. We have all sorts here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.