Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Biometric Testing Centers are currently closed

Biometric Testing Centers are currently closed

Old Jun 17th 2020, 12:56 am
Just Joined

johnnyincarolina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Biometric Testing Centers are currently closed

Hi all,

My Green Card is up for renewal in October. The paperwork is with USCIS, but I have heard no news about the Biometric test yet.

The centers are currently closed due to COVID. Does anyone know what the latest is? Are they expecting to open the Centers soon? Will we be given an extension until the Centers are open again and the Biometric tests can be performed?

Thanks,
John
Old Jun 17th 2020, 11:25 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Biometric Testing Centers are currently closed

You should have, or will be, receiving your 18 month extension letter. You can assume that should that letter expire, they will either issue a new one or require for to attend an infopass appointment to get a stamp in your passport.

They clearly aren't going to let your application and status lapse.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 1:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You should have, or will be, receiving your 18 month extension letter. You can assume that should that letter expire, they will either issue a new one or require for to attend an infopass appointment to get a stamp in your passport.

They clearly aren't going to let your application and status lapse.

The OP hasn't indicated that he was removing conditions to a green card. He only says his card is up for renewal. If he needs to renew an unconditional green card, then there will be no letter indicating an extension, I believe.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 1:03 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

True.

OP if that is the case, then your card expiring doesn't actually mean anything. The card is just evidence of the status, not the status itself.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 2:34 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The OP hasn't indicated that he was removing conditions to a green card. He only says his card is up for renewal. If he needs to renew an unconditional green card, then there will be no letter indicating an extension, I believe.
There are such letters.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks all. I'll look out for the letter. Does anyone know when they typically are sent out? I filed for renewal in mid April. Soon I'll have been in the states for twelve years, the first two as a newly married, then ten years on the current green card. I am getting a little nervous about not being able to do the biometric tests.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 11:11 am
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by johnnyincarolina
Thanks all. I'll look out for the letter. Does anyone know when they typically are sent out? I filed for renewal in mid April. Soon I'll have been in the states for twelve years, the first two as a newly married, then ten years on the current green card. I am getting a little nervous about not being able to do the biometric tests.
Then you may or may not receive one. Like I said before, you need not worry, the Green Card is only evidence of your status, not the status itself.

If you feel the need, when the appointments open back up your could make one as your local office and get a stamp in your passport that will act as the GC until you get the new one, but honestly, unless you plan to change jobs in the near future, you aren't likely to need your GC anyway.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 12:35 am
Just Joined

Thank you. I can't tell you what a relief it is to read this.