Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Best Friend Inteview chicago next week/Husband not a resident?

Best Friend Inteview chicago next week/Husband not a resident?

Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:46 pm
Guest21

Default Best Friend Inteview chicago next week/Husband not a resident?

Any advice to give to my friend who is going insane.

She has an interview next week in Chicago she applied for the VAWA and the petition was approved pending the 1-485.

She has just found out that her ex husband when I say ex he they are not yet completely divorced, is only a CPR ?.

What will happen? to her she cannot understand why they approved the 1-360 when he was not a qualified sponser? (she was not aware of the fact)

He entered the US on a work visa which type I have no idea?

She is still going to the interview with her lawyer who seems to be not much help in the matter, or the lawyer would of found out this vital fact in the beginning before it got to the interview process, why the heck did they approve the 1-360 when she was not even married to a US Resident or Citizen?

She is beside herself what to say or do at the interview, I told her to just tell the truth and let them decide but I don't feel very confident for her, she said what if they don't realise he is not a Resident? should she mention it or let it go.
Poor girl if there is any advice please, and I will let you know the out come next week.

Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Friend Inteview chicago next week/Husband not a resident?

CPR = Conditional Permanent Resident. He is a US Permanent Resident.

Question though how he is a CPR if his residency was applied for and granted based on a work visa.

Originally Posted by whiskers
Any advice to give to my friend who is going insane.

She has an interview next week in Chicago she applied for the VAWA and the petition was approved pending the 1-485.

She has just found out that her ex husband when I say ex he they are not yet completely divorced, is only a CPR ?.

What will happen? to her she cannot understand why they approved the 1-360 when he was not a qualified sponser? (she was not aware of the fact)

He entered the US on a work visa which type I have no idea?

She is still going to the interview with her lawyer who seems to be not much help in the matter, or the lawyer would of found out this vital fact in the beginning before it got to the interview process, why the heck did they approve the 1-360 when she was not even married to a US Resident or Citizen?

She is beside herself what to say or do at the interview, I told her to just tell the truth and let them decide but I don't feel very confident for her, she said what if they don't realise he is not a Resident? should she mention it or let it go.
Poor girl if there is any advice please, and I will let you know the out come next week.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 1:16 pm
Guest21

Originally Posted by Rete
CPR = Conditional Permanent Resident. He is a US Permanent Resident.

Question though how he is a CPR if his residency was applied for and granted based on a work visa.
That I cannot answer are you saying that he would automatically get a 10 years green card based on his work Visa? sorry to be ignorant on this I am not sure of the procedure for residency threw a work visa.

Thanks Rete I am confused then I thought that to sponser another person you had to have your 10 years green card not the 2 years one that is issued prior to the removal of conditions?

Thats assuming that she has here facts right.

Old Sep 16th 2006, 1:52 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Did the (ex-)husband tell her that he was a USC? No offense to your friend, but I find it very odd that someone can not know what their spouse's nationality is.

How long have they been married? If he's a CPR at this point, then he would have only been granted that status within the last two years, perhaps a little bit more. Were they married 2½-3 years ago when he had his AOS interview? Did he do all of this in secret?

Just curious about how this scenario actually came to be...

Also, if she has proof that he lied about being a USC -- signing a document of some kind, etc. -- whether that could affect his own immigration efforts?

~ Jenney
Old Sep 16th 2006, 2:04 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Did the (ex-)husband tell her that he was a USC? No offense to your friend, but I find it very odd that someone can not know what their spouse's nationality is.

How long have they been married? If he's a CPR at this point, then he would have only been granted that status within the last two years, perhaps a little bit more. Were they married 2½-3 years ago when he had his AOS interview? Did he do all of this in secret?

Also, if she has proof that he lied about being a USC -- signing a document of some kind, etc. -- whether that could affect his own immigration efforts?

~ Jenney

Is it possible that this guy entered on a work visa (maybe an L1 or and H1b), got married to a USC at some point, but never removed the conditions, got divorced and then married the OP's friend?

However, I'm a little surprised that he was able to hide his status all this time. Did he not have to produce a birth cirtificate or passport when they got married? And don't both spouses have to fill in a biography-form (I-865?) at some point during the non-USC's AOS process?

Weird!

I guess if it were me I'd 'put my affairs in order', just in case... I hope there are no children involved.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 2:07 pm
Guest21

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

She was on an arranged marriage, turned out he was gay they separted, she was brought over as his wife they married in India.

When she found out about this obviously she filed the VAWA straight away he had also abused her there are Police Records,the VAWA was granted as I mentioned, she never adjusted status.

He has not lied to her she said she thought he had the 10 years green card already.

Thanks.

~ Jenney
He is Indian and was sponsered over here.

Yes they have been married about 3 years I believe and yes again he did it in secret the AOS but she had his alien number and did a check on him.
He was granted CPR November 2004.

She was on an arranged marriage, turned out he was gay they separted, she was brought over as his wife they married in India.

When she found out about this obviously she filed the VAWA straight away he had also abused her there are Police Records,the VAWA was granted as I mentioned, she never adjusted status.

She has checked online and found out that he adjusted in Nov 2004? its all a bit bazaar to me

He has not lied to her she said she thought he had the 10 years green card already. It was her assumption.

Old Sep 16th 2006, 2:10 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they have been married about 3 years I believe and yes again he did it in secret the AOS but she had his alien number and did a check on him.

She has checked online and found out that he adjusted in Nov 2004? its all a bit bazaar to me

He has not lied to her she said she thought he had the 10 years green card already. It was her assumption.

I have never heard of work-based permanent residents only getting condition residency. Everyone I know got a 10-year card without conditions.

Still weird.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 2:10 pm
Guest21

Originally Posted by Elvira
Is it possible that this guy entered on a work visa (maybe an L1 or and H1b), got married to a USC at some point, but never removed the conditions, got divorced and then married the OP's friend?

However, I'm a little surprised that he was able to hide his status all this time. Did he not have to produce a birth cirtificate or passport when they got married? And don't both spouses have to fill in a biography-form (I-865?) at some point during the non-USC's AOS process?

Weird!

I guess if it were me I'd 'put my affairs in order', just in case... I hope there are no children involved.

Yes possible on the L1 or H1b
Never married before to our knowledge.

There are no Children.

Believe me all, this is as weird to me as any of you.

Old Sep 16th 2006, 2:12 pm
Homebody

I have never heard of work-based permanent residents only getting condition residency. Everyone I know got a 10-year card without conditions.

And am I reading this correctly: they were married before his AOS was approved, but he did not tell his wife? She could have filed for AOS at any time before he became a permanent resident, based on his work-based application. Or is this what actually happened?

But what is this about a I-360? Or is this a form used for follow-to-join benefits?

I am confused...
Old Sep 16th 2006, 2:13 pm
Guest21

Still weird.
Thats my question Elvira

Her Lawyer told her Thursday that as he was only just granted his Visa in 2004 then he was not eligable to sponser her and the interview would be denied when she got there. also her vawa was not valid then?

I think that this guy has a 10 years card through working here that would explain it would it not? surely the lawyer would of picked up on this?

Pleased this woman that my friend has is not my Lawyer lol.

Old Sep 16th 2006, 2:15 pm
Homebody

Thats my question Elvira

Her Lawyer told her Thursday that as he was only just granted his Visa in 2004 then he was not eligable to sponser her and the interview would be denied when she got there. also her vawa was not valid then?

I think that this guy has a 10 years card through working here that would explain it would it not? surely the lawyer would of picked up on this?

Pleased this woman that my friend has is not my Lawyer lol.
You are confusing me - what was granted in 2004 - LPR or a visa, if the latter, what sort?
Old Sep 16th 2006, 2:19 pm
Guest21

And am I reading this correctly: they were married before his AOS was approved, but he did not tell his wife? She could have filed for AOS at any time before he became a permanent resident, based on his work-based application. Or is this what actually happened?

But what is this about a I-360? Or is this a form used for follow-to-join benefits?

I am confused...

Yes married before AOS approved and she was aware of this.
She filed as soon as she got here for AOS it never happened for them as they split before the AOS.

I don't think she knows she could adjust status based on his work visa she submitted it based on her marriage.

The 1-360 is the VAWA it means that immigration believe that she was abused and acknowledge she has a case.

Old Sep 16th 2006, 2:21 pm
Guest21

You are confusing me - what was granted in 2004 - LPR or a visa, if the latter, what sort?
Receipt Number: 00000000000000
Application Type: I485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status
Current Status:
On January zz 2005, the card order was completed and we mailed the applicant's new card directly to him or her. If 30 days have passed and you have not received this card, you may wish to verify or update your address. To update your address, please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283.

I have copied and pasted the email she sent me yesterday without the private info.
Does this help Elvira

Old Sep 16th 2006, 2:25 pm
Homebody

Yes married before AOS approved and she was aware of this.
She filed as soon as she got here for AOS it never happened for them as they split before the AOS.

I don't think she knows she could adjust status based on his work visa she submitted it based on her marriage.

The 1-360 is the VAWA it means that immigration believe that she was abused and acknowledge she has a case.

Okay, I think I'm getting it now. He applied for AOS before they were married, and then she filed after they got married, but BEFORE his AOS was actually approved. I believe this is called 'follow-to-join' benefits for relatives of people who have filed for work-based (sponsored) permanent residence.

If her VAWA was granted, she should be fine.

I think the confusion arose because we thought that the husband hat pretended to be a USC and filed a marriage-based petition. Since this is not the case, she should not have anything to worry about.

I am assuming she did not know he was gay when they married and she filed for AOS. I expect she will have to convince USCIS that she entered the marriage expecting it to be a proper bona fide marriage. (or maybe thegranting of the VAWA has already taken care of this aspect?) However, her lawyer should have explained all this to her.

That's how I am reading it anyway - but I am not a lawyer etc etc.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 2:30 pm
Guest21

Okay, I think I'm getting it now. He applied for AOS before they were married, and then she filed after they got married, but BEFORE his AOS was actually approved. I believe this is called 'follow-to-join' benefits for relatives of people who have filed for work-based (sponsored) permanent residence.

If her VAWA was granted, she should be fine.

I think the confusion arose because we thought that the husband hat pretended to be a USC and filed a marriage-based petition. Since this is not the case, she should not have anything to worry about.

I am assuming she did not know he was gay when they married and she filed for AOS. I expect she will have to convince USCIS that she entered the marriage expecting it to be a proper bona fide marriage. (or maybe thegranting of the VAWA has already taken care of this aspect?) However, her lawyer should have explained all this to her.

That's how I am reading it anyway - but I am not a lawyer etc etc.
NAIL ON THE HEAD GIRL

Oh she did not know he was gay hell no lol she was working in India he flew back she had never met him before they married a 4 days later.
The only reason that the Divorce is not final is because her family are trying to sue his for knowing that he was gay at the time of the marriage and not telling her, his family thought once he was married he would change YER. RIGHT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.