Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Bern DCF-what to include with DS-230 filing?

Bern DCF-what to include with DS-230 filing?

Old Jul 26th 2004, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Nidwaldner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bern DCF-what to include with DS-230 filing?

As usual the instructions in the packet sent by the embassy are ambiguous.

Photos-we have one sheet that discusses the "new photo format" (frontal view) and then another "Supplemental Sheet" mentions the need for 2 photos in the old format ("side" view). So does this mean 4 photos total?? The new format page specifically states that "the photos should be submitted ALONG WITH your visa application". I take that to mean at the SAME TIME (not at the interview).

An "Important Notice" page mentions "all applications for immigrant visas require to be ACCOMPANIED by a contractually binding Affidavit of Support..." Again, I take this to mean at the same time and with the DS-230.

Note the Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applications checklist supplied by the embassy does not make one mention of the I-864 or photos. These instructions seem to differ from the London embassy. Anyone have experience with Bern??
Old Jul 26th 2004, 7:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bern DCF-what to include with DS-230 filing?

Originally posted by Nidwaldner
As usual the instructions in the packet sent by the embassy are ambiguous.

Photos-we have one sheet that discusses the "new photo format" (frontal view) and then another "Supplemental Sheet" mentions the need for 2 photos in the old format ("side" view). So does this mean 4 photos total?? The new format page specifically states that "the photos should be submitted ALONG WITH your visa application". I take that to mean at the SAME TIME (not at the interview).

An "Important Notice" page mentions "all applications for immigrant visas require to be ACCOMPANIED by a contractually binding Affidavit of Support..." Again, I take this to mean at the same time and with the DS-230.

Note the Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applications checklist supplied by the embassy does not make one mention of the I-864 or photos. These instructions seem to differ from the London embassy. Anyone have experience with Bern??
I don't find a Consular post listed for Bern. Do you have a website link?

What are the instructions? Seems they are asking for a complete visa application submitted before the interview. That would include all photos (and if I didn't want to call/email them, I would include 4 as you describe above), the I-864 and all the checklist items (old Packet 3).

PS: the I-864 is the contractually binding Affidavit of Support.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Here is the Bern website-
http://www.us-embassy.ch/Consular/Visa.htm

It's not particularly helpful. Since I'm going in tomorrow to get the I-864 notarized I'll see if the IV unit will talk to me.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

I'll answer my own questions in case it helps someone else out in the future...
I just returned from the Bern consulate where I had the I-864 notarized. Note that this was actually done in the immigration department and not at the ACS (where I had gone first as they do non-immigration notary services there). This was good because the officer could look over the file and I could get answers to my questions and was able to hand in the DS-230/2001 at the same time. Note that currently USC's in Bern do not have to take a number for immigration we are told to go directly to a "special" counter.

The officer looked over the DS-230 and I-864 and pointed out a few missing items:
- In Bern they do want something in the employment section (unlike London who advise to ignore that section?).
- My husband's photo was missing from the (1998 and 3 countries ago!) I-130 app. ("well the petition was approved", I say, "so it was there at some time". "no problem," they say, "bring another one at interview").
- My husband had not filled in all his previous visits to the U.S. (only that under his H1-B, he assumed visa waiver visits did not need to be listed, "No, we want ALL visits but, it's no problem bring a complete list to the interview", they say.

PHOTOS-No, you do not need to submit them with the DS-230, have them at interview and yes, you need both the old and new format (old format for the actual green card).

I-864-NO, you do not need to submit this with the DS-230, BUT having the supporting docs with me was helpful in showing the consulate who notarized the I-864 that we had indeed filed U.S. tax returns jointly the past 3-years so my husband's income could be used. (the officer asked me where the I-864A was, and I had to remind him that we didn't need one as my husband was the sponsored party. I guess they don't see too many non-residents/non-citizens who voluntarily file tax returns with the U.S! Note that we did this because 1) we knew it would be helpful for the day we wanted to return to the U.S. and, 2) with the foreign earned income exemption allowance and foreign tax credit our tax burden was next to nothing, yet this allowed both of us to still contribute to IRAs (and further proof of continued U.S. domicile)).

All in all, a fairly positive experience in Bern so far. I was in and out in about 40 minutes. Now we just have to wait for the interview invitation.