Being sponsered

Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

leannesteph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Being sponsered

Hi im 23 and from liverpool, studying Graphic arts in Liverpool John moores. I know how difficult it is to get a working visa etc, so I had given up hope.

Then my best friend happened to mention her uncle in west virginia, who is well off and has lived there so long and willing to sponsor us.

My only worry is in 2007, I got a conviction for excess alcohol, incharge of a vehicle (long story I wasnt driving, but the only one in the car when the police turned up, as the driver who was sober ran to a phonebox, as someone crashed into us). I ever went to prison just got points and a curfew.

So my question is am I screwed? it will be spent in 3 years am I best to try then? or just give up hope?

Also if he sponsors us how long can we stay? can we get jobs and move to a new state?

Sorry just looking for the most info as id like to work my career over there, yet this silly mistakes ruined it.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being sponsered

Originally Posted by leannesteph
Hi im 23 and from liverpool, studying Graphic arts in Liverpool John moores. I know how difficult it is to get a working visa etc, so I had given up hope.

Then my best friend happened to mention her uncle in west virginia, who is well off and has lived there so long and willing to sponsor us.

My only worry is in 2007, I got a conviction for excess alcohol, incharge of a vehicle (long story I wasnt driving, but the only one in the car when the police turned up, as the driver who was sober ran to a phonebox, as someone crashed into us). I ever went to prison just got points and a curfew.

So my question is am I screwed? it will be spent in 3 years am I best to try then? or just give up hope?

Also if he sponsors us how long can we stay? can we get jobs and move to a new state?

Sorry just looking for the most info as id like to work my career over there, yet this silly mistakes ruined it.
Your friend's uncle cannot sponsor you.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Your friend's uncle cannot sponsor you.
just me or both? whats our best option? what if he owns a business and says he wants to employ us?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

just me or both? whats our best option? what if he owns a business and says he wants to employ us?
He can't sponsor either of you.

Take a look at this and see if you're eligible for a visa:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

He can't sponsor either of you.

Take a look at this and see if you're eligible for a visa:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
thank you! so do you think I may be able to get on a post graduate course then try and get a placement from there in a usa firm? also is my conviction a prob?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

thank you! so do you think I may be able to get on a post graduate course then try and get a placement from there in a usa firm? also is my conviction a prob?
Even if you attend a US college/uni it won't help your friend I'm afraid.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Even if you attend a US college/uni it won't help your friend I'm afraid.
I mean myself ha! say I got accepted to an art school on post grad, would I have to wait 3 years till my convict is spent?

also could I get a placement after?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

would I have to wait 3 years till my convict is spent?
There is no such thing as a spent conviction as far as US immigration is concerned. It's on your record forever.

That does not necessarily mean you can never get a visa, but you will have to disclose the conviction whenever you find yourself in a position to apply for one.