Becoming an American

Old Apr 30th 2006, 10:55 pm
Bank M

Default Becoming an American

Hi everyone,

I am looking for the advise on the road of beoming an American.

I got married on August 8th, 2003. I had my conditional permanent residence
on July 4, 2004. I have applied I-751 a month ago, other than a letter for
extend one year for the status, decision is still pending. When can I file
for N-400? And after I submit the application, when will I be able to become
an American citizen? (I can apply the American passport) Must I give up my
original nationnality? When should I do that?

Great thanks for the experienced people who have gone through all those!

Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Becoming an American

Originally Posted by Bank M
I had my conditional permanent residence on July 4, 2004.
You can apply for naturalization on or after April 5, 2007 as long as you meet all other requirements. If you divorce (for example) you can file on or after April 5, 2009. You will be called for an interview and, if that's successful, you will be scheduled to take the Oath of Allegiance. It'll probably take 6 - 8 months from start to finish.

Whether you have to give up your original nationality depends on what that nationality is. Many countries (including US, Canada, UK and other Commonwealth countries, and others) allow dual citizenship. Some, do not.

Ian
Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your residency stated on July 4, 2004 so you are eligible for naturalization based on married and continued marriage to a USC 90 days prior to July 4, 2007.

As for the length of time it takes don't have a clue which district office you are using so can't look it up on the USCIS website. Could be three months and then again could be 3 years. Yes, once you are a US citizen you can apply for a US passport.

As for your other question as to whether or not you can keep your other citizenship, that depends on that country's laws.

Originally Posted by Bank M
Hi everyone,

I am looking for the advise on the road of beoming an American.

I got married on August 8th, 2003. I had my conditional permanent residence
on July 4, 2004. I have applied I-751 a month ago, other than a letter for
extend one year for the status, decision is still pending. When can I file
for N-400? And after I submit the application, when will I be able to become
an American citizen? (I can apply the American passport) Must I give up my
original nationnality? When should I do that?

Great thanks for the experienced people who have gone through all those!
Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to all the other criteria you must meet to be eligible there is one that others often overlook. If you entered the US and applied for adjustment and you were under the age of 26, if you did not sign up for the selective service you are SOL for naturalization until age 31.

Originally Posted by Rete
Your residency stated on July 4, 2004 so you are eligible for naturalization based on married and continued marriage to a USC 90 days prior to July 4, 2007.

As for the length of time it takes don't have a clue which district office you are using so can't look it up on the USCIS website. Could be three months and then again could be 3 years. Yes, once you are a US citizen you can apply for a US passport.

As for your other question as to whether or not you can keep your other citizenship, that depends on that country's laws.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
If you entered the US and applied for adjustment and you were under the age of 26, if you did not sign up for the selective service you are SOL for naturalization until age 31.
Good catch! I always forget about the selective service requirements!

Ian
Old May 1st 2006, 1:02 am
New in the New world

In april next year (same date when you applied for I-751) you will become eligable to file N-400. Fill it, send it to USCIS and wait again. You will have fingerprinting and then interview (you need to prepare for this - download 100 questions). Sometime in summer next year you can expect to have an oath - on that day they will take your green card and give you naturalization certificate. With it, you can go to any post office or court and apply for US passport. You will be eligable to vote as well.