Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

BCIS told us AP required for travel w/K-3

BCIS told us AP required for travel w/K-3

Old Apr 22nd 2003, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

DrewS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BCIS told us AP required for travel w/K-3

So, my wife was down at the San Antonio BCIS office today inquiring as to why we haven't gotten so much as a recept after 10 weeks when other people have gotten one after 4 (they told us to keep waiting). Anyway, one of the officers there told her that AP was required for travel outside the US on a K-3, and that she would be denied entry back into the US without one. I was under the impression that the K-3 was a multiple-entry visa, and leaving the country with one did not constitute abandonment. What gives, did the BCIS recently change this? Since we're planning on travelling out of the country in a couple months, I'd really like to find out whether we need an AP or not.

Drew.
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 3:36 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BCIS told us AP required for travel w/K-3

Originally posted by DrewS
So, my wife was down at the San Antonio BCIS office today inquiring as to why we haven't gotten so much as a recept after 10 weeks when other people have gotten one after 4 (they told us to keep waiting). Anyway, one of the officers there told her that AP was required for travel outside the US on a K-3, and that she would be denied entry back into the US without one. I was under the impression that the K-3 was a multiple-entry visa, and leaving the country with one did not constitute abandonment. What gives, did the BCIS recently change this? Since we're planning on travelling out of the country in a couple months, I'd really like to find out whether we need an AP or not.

Drew.
I do believe that there are folks who have done this already and did NOT have AP because they had the K3. I most certainly hope that person was misinformed since my husband plans on coming over to activate his K3 before the expiration date, go back to the UK for two months to tie up some loose ends and then come here for good......
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

DrewS is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple updates:

(1) The immigration officer that my wife spoke to had no idea what a K-3 visa was (he was surprised that she was married when she entered on the visa), so he probably thought that it was a K-1 which _does_ require AP for travel.

(2) As I mentioned, we've been waiting for 10 weeks now without any sort of word from the BCIS that our application (I-485+EAD) has been receieved (we know they got it from the USPS receipt), and we're worried that they lost it or something. Anyway, the officer punched her name and DOB into their computer, saw that she has an A#, and assumed that meant that the application was being processed. But, she already has an A# from her K-3, so that doesn't mean anything! So, we're back to square one. I hate the BCIS.

Drew.
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 4:18 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DrewS
A couple updates:

(1) The immigration officer that my wife spoke to had no idea what a K-3 visa was (he was surprised that she was married when she entered on the visa), so he probably thought that it was a K-1 which _does_ require AP for travel.

(2) As I mentioned, we've been waiting for 10 weeks now without any sort of word from the BCIS that our application (I-485+EAD) has been receieved (we know they got it from the USPS receipt), and we're worried that they lost it or something. Anyway, the officer punched her name and DOB into their computer, saw that she has an A#, and assumed that meant that the application was being processed. But, she already has an A# from her K-3, so that doesn't mean anything! So, we're back to square one. I hate the BCIS.

Drew.

It always makes me nervous when I know more than the "expert" I am consulting..............