BCIS now USCIS!

Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of
Default BCIS now USCIS!

Just went to check out some info from the BCIS website and clicked on one of my saved links BUT, it didn't work!

I was advised that:
404 - Requested Page Has Moved
"On November 1st, 2003, the website for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) moved to http://uscis.gov. You will be redirected to the requested page only after clicking on the "redirect me" link below.

All web pages at http://www.immigration.gov and http://www.bcis.gov have been moved to http://uscis.gov

If you attempted to reach this website through a bookmark, please change the bookmark."

So, BCIS are now the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough
Default Re: BCIS now USCIS!

Good lord. How many name changes are they gonna do in a year? I don't even know what to call them now!

Try saying USCIS all freakin' day. It gets tiring. I still call 'em "INS". Way easier.

-= nav =-
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Karen D
So, BCIS are now the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)!
Yup they changed the name one or two months ago. They didn't like being a "bureau".

Rete
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

Originally posted by supernav
I don't even know what to call them now!
They don't know what to call themselves either!

All references to themselves on their website forms is still Immigration and Naturalization Services (even "make checks payable to...")

Wonder when they'll get around to changing those...
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

mdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant futuremdaitc has a brilliant future

(even "make checks payable to...")

Probably the day before you send a cheque(!) and then about 2 months later you get a rejection or RFE... always the way.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:52 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

They don't know what to call themselves either!

All references to themselves on their website forms is still Immigration and Naturalization Services (even "make checks payable to...")

I would assume until they have thrown out the old forms that tell you to make checks and/or money orders payable to the Immigration and Naturalization Service and have new ones made up to advise you to make checks and/or money orders payable to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service, then they will accept payment made out to either one of the four names they have used in the last two years:

1. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)

2. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Service (BCIS)

3. Legacy INS (LINS)

4. United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)

Rete
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Rete
I would assume until they have thrown out the old forms that tell you to make checks and/or money orders payable to the Immigration and Naturalization Service and have new ones made up to advise you to make checks and/or money orders payable to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service, then they will accept payment made out to either one of the four names they have used in the last two years:

1. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)

2. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Service (BCIS)

3. Legacy INS (LINS)

4. United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)

Rete
You would hope so Rete...!

...but anyone using the download facility from their website is going to be faced with the old information, thus causing further confusion.

I recently sent off my AOS application and made checks payable to BCIS, despite the form saying make them payable to "Immigration and Naturalization Services"!!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:04 am
Concierge

You would hope so Rete...!

...but anyone using the download facility from their website is going to be faced with the old information, thus causing further confusion.

I recently sent off my AOS application and made checks payable to BCIS, despite the form saying make them payable to "Immigration and Naturalization Services"!!

If you search the USCIS site you will see that they tell you that they will accept payment in either of the three names. So that is not an issue.

Rete
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

If you search the USCIS site you will see that they tell you that they will accept payment in either of the three names. So that is not an issue.

Rete

Louisville KY office told us to make the payment to U.S. Dept of Treasury.
That worked fine too.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Rete
Fortunately not, but I am saying that people are most likely to read the information on the form in front of them first. Therefore it would be extremely helpful if the USCIS actually updated the forms that can be downloaded from their website to show the correct information.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:27 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup they changed the name one or two months ago. They didn't like being a "bureau".

Rete
Hi:

In the Homeland Security Act, it is referred to as the "Bureau of Citizenship & Immigration Services." However, in a recent appropriations bill, there is reference to United States Citizenship & Immigration Services. This was noted by the ILW people as justification for them to start using the new name.

I am amused at the term "Legacy INS" to refer to the former INS. As far as I am concerned, USCIS, USICE and the immigration part of USBCP are the "legacy" of the former INS so the word "legacy" is misused. I've noted that it was the BCP people who really started using that term first. CIS and ICE are new and independent agencies. In contrast, the BCP immigration people did NOT become independent -- they were transferred into the old Customs Service. If you note when you make an entry at at US POE, you will see lot of the immigration inspectors wearing the blue customs uniforms rather thant the white shirt INS uniforms.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:01 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Karen,

Many of the questions to this newsgroup indicate that you are sadly mistaken :-)

Regards, JEff

... I am saying that people are most likely to read the information on the form in front of them first. ....
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Karen,

Many of the questions to this newsgroup indicate that you are sadly mistaken :-)

Regards, JEff
You are quite right Jeff, sorry - I shouldn't speak for others...
I would read the information on the form in front of me first...
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:14 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Karen,

I sense that I did not make my point very well. I did not intend to criticize you for speaking for others, I intended to suggest to others that it would be a good idea to read the instructions first and then ask questions. :-)

Regards, JEff

You are quite right Jeff, sorry - I shouldn't speak for others...
I would read the information on the form in front of me first...
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:27 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

When I noticed the website change yesterday I told my husband about it who told me he had heard something or another about the FBI making them take out the word "bureau" because it was supposedly "their" word and shouldn't be associated with other departments...or something along those lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.