Basic Question

Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Steeb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Basic Question

I'm British, my wife is American. Soon she'll have her British passport and once that's sorted we're thinking of moving to Colorado to be near her family and mountains (keen snowboarders!).

Is there any type of visa that would allow us to apply from the UK and not spend time apart (ie with her in the States as sponsor and me in the UK)?

From what I could tell I'd need a financial sponsor whatever happens, even if married - is that correct?

Stee

Last edited by Steeb; Oct 1st 2012 at 9:51 am.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Basic Question

Originally Posted by Steeb
I'm British, my wife is American. Soon she'll have her British passport and once that's sorted we're thinking of moving to Colorado to be near her family and mountains (keen snowboarders!).

Is there any type of visa that would allow us to apply from the UK and not spend time apart (ie with her in the States as sponsor and me in the UK)?
You'll be after an immigrant visa then. If your wife has been legally resident in the UK for at least 6 months then you two can do the whole process through London and there's no need for you to spend any time apart. Start here.

From what I could tell I'd need a financial sponsor whatever happens, even if married - is that correct?

Stee
Yes, that's right. Your wife is going to be your sponsor. If she doesn't meet the income requirements then you will need to find another way to meet them. Either through assets, your income if it will continue from the same source after you enter the US, or a Joint Sponsor.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much!

I assume money she earns over here doesn't count towards the income requirements since it will change when we move?

I think we'll have to look at a joint sponsor, we're not homeowners or anything unfortunately.

Thanks again
Stee
Old Oct 1st 2012, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much!

I assume money she earns over here doesn't count towards the income requirements since it will change when we move?
Not if she's going to be leaving her job.

I think we'll have to look at a joint sponsor, we're not homeowners or anything unfortunately.

Thanks again
Stee
No problem. Lots of people find themselves in that position, especially those living outside the US. My wife and I were in your exact position back in January and it's all worked out fine.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

That's good to hear from our point of view, and I'm glad it all worked out for you, visa situations can be stressful.

We've got a while yet before we can start the ball rolling so I suppose for now we just start putting some money aside to make the move easier. Have a million other questions about adapting to life out there, but I'll start reading up on here

Ta
Stee